Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do the reported SDM failure problems affect your purchasing?
Yes 9676.80%
No 2923.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
I'm 100% with you on Pentax extending the warranty.

02-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
I'm 100% with you on Pentax extending the warranty.
So you agree that Pentax has a problem that they need to address, and that not doing so is the perfect reason to stop many people from buying an SDM lens.

Glad you finally understand.
02-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #33

I agreed on extended warranty from the very beginning. Why wouldn't i agree. It's beneficial for everyone. I just said, as warranty currently stands now with DA* lenses, it's up to you if you want to choose between other brand lenses that offers higher warranties or this lens which offers the best quality. To me it's a no brainier, quality is more important even if warranty is 1 year as it currently stands.
02-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I agree that longer warranty will definitely be a huge plus and Pentax should look into this, but you can't compare quality between the lenses you mentioned and Da*. You have to sacrifice warranty compared to other lenses if you want quality. What would i do with a 10 year warranty if lens doesn't provide me with the quality i'm looking for.

The reason I mentioned the 1 year warranty because if there is a problem with the lens you should know within a year. I did not come across any posts that shows lens SDM failure after 1 year of usage. Of course it can happen since it's electronics and not 100% fault proof, but the percentage is extremely low.
Welcome to Pentaxforums and to the mad world of SDM (silent dying motor) lens insanity.

a lens with a failing/broken SDM record is not a quality lens. it's good as garbage. and there had been numerous reports, posts and threads that had been discussing the lens failure occurences before and after the 1 year warranty had expired. most of them are either 1 month before and 1 month after the warranty period. I just hope that your lens last more than the 1 year warranty period and could live up to 3 years. it is electronics alright, but it is a lens and not just a battery that dies out and you could easily replace. unless you are willing to spend another $1,000 replacement after a year and just treat it like battery or have it repaired and spend around $300 or more which is a lot. the same amount of money that you can save or spend on another lens instead of repair.

02-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
If the Pentax standard warranty was at least 3 years, I would not care at all about the problems I hear with SDM.

As it stands now, with only a 1 year warranty, I have purchased the Tamron 70-200/2.8 over the Pentax 50-135/2.8. I wanted a smaller, lighter lens, but did not want to deal with out of warranty repairs.
aside from warranty, I think the Tamron is a winner if we are going to consider the quality, price, and focal length versatility. 200mm is just hard to ignore.
02-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I have already acquired most if not all the lenses I feel I need. None of them are SDM, all screw drive and I am very happy. Will work with either my K100 or K20. Noise, fast lenses and AF speed don't affect landscapes, and it keeps the cost down.
02-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #37
Veteran Member

That's why i said very low percentage. Can be counted on the fingesr. Small percentage of Failures are normal with any make and model.
it has gone way past that for a long time. just for the record, I experienced 5. so add the others who had experienced such. Peter had 2, PP, got 4 or 5, and others. such confidence in the DA* zooms nowadays had just become wishful thinking.
02-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I must have gone thru tons of pages about DA* lenses. Almost 50% of the users think they have a lens problem because they don't not know how to operate the equipment properly. lack of experience. I know that Putting down $1000 for a lens is not easy and you want to make sure your not getting a defective lens or a lens that will fail on you within a short time down the road. To me 1 year to detect failure is sufficient. What happens after 1 year, i wouldn't worry myself too much about it. You may get hit by a truck tomorrow.
I don't know where you got your statistics, but most lens owners are not idiots or bunch of 3 year olds that drop or throw their lenses on purpose. there is clearly something wrong with your statement.

what is the difference between the DA* zoom lenses over the DA/FA or Sigma/Tamron equivalent lenses that makes the DA* zoom lens a complicated tool that lack of experience would cause it to break?

don't tell me that inappropriate use of weather-sealing would cause the lens to break.

stepping the funny thing aside, how and which way do you think that people should handle the DA* zoom lenses? not to use it's SDM feature or use manual focus only for an AF lens? well, they should had made them manual focus then since it's AF is unreliable.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 02-07-2010 at 07:45 PM.
02-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
aside from warranty, I think the Tamron is a winner if we are going to consider the quality, price, and focal length versatility. 200mm is just hard to ignore.
Don't compare tamrom to DA*. It's like comparing silver to diamond. Da primes are known to offer the best quality and are compared to cannons and Nikon's best lenses optically. If you read cannons forums, you'll be amazed at how many users complain about the lenses and failures.

Again we all would like to see Pentax extending the warranty on those lenses, but that doesn't make them bad lenses as you claim.
02-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I'm talking based on my experience with the DA* lens. nothing more.
how long is your experience?
02-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #41

Less then a month with DA* lens.
02-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #42
Veteran Member

It's like using a computer and worrying about the hard drive failing. It can fail at anytime.
I never had experienced a hard drive failure which is of top quality and is known to be of top quality. and they lasted more than the DA* zooms can offer.
02-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #43

Just as with many users they never had lens failures...
02-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I'm not planing on making this lens an antique. Don't expect to live eternity with this lens
you must be born with a silver spoon. question is, are you willing to buy us or pay for the repairs if even we bought a DA* zoom that had failed after a year, for free?

Last edited by Damn Brit; 02-08-2010 at 04:03 PM.
02-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
you must be born with a silver spoon. question is, are you willing to buy us or pay for the repairs if even we bought a DA* zoom that had failed after a year, for free?
No true. Why would I fix your lens. Would you fix mine??