Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do the reported SDM failure problems affect your purchasing?
Yes 9676.80%
No 2923.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
Allot of posts online talk about Pentax fixing he SDM issue although no word from Pentax on this. When i called Pentax to verify this they assured me no SDM issue with the lens. You mentioned buying used lens. I wouldn't buy used even if it's a good deal
it's common sense. why would they shoot themselves in the foot? unless they are idiots.

you don't expect a merchant saying not to buy his tomatoes because they are rotten !

instead, the merchant will try to sell his tomatoes and see if some idiot would buy them.

02-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it's common sense. why would they shoot themselves in the foot? unless they are idiots.

you don't expect a merchant saying not to buy his tomatoes because they are rotten !

instead, the merchant will try to sell his tomatoes and see if some idiot would buy them.
No if it's a reputable merchant who's been in business since before you were born.
02-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #48

Oh Lord, this thread just scared the s*** out of me >__<

I already invested a lot on the DA*, and the SDM issue causes a huge anxiety to me. Just don't know when this thing happens to me :crying:
02-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Don't compare tamrom to DA*. It's like comparing silver to diamond. Da primes are known to offer the best quality and are compared to cannons and Nikon's best lenses optically. If you read cannons forums, you'll be amazed at how many users complain about the lenses and failures.

Again we all would like to see Pentax extending the warranty on those lenses, but that doesn't make them bad lenses as you claim.
I wasn't referring to DA/FA primes but DA zooms like the 12-24 and 16-45 and 55-300 which are of great quality as well.

what I'm saying is that you shouldn't underestimate the Tamrons and Sigmas nowadays. they are equally as superior and even better than the Pentax, optically and in some way build is concerned. check out the Tammy 17-50/2.8, Tammy/Sigma 70-200/2.8, Sigma/Tammy 28-75/2.8, Sigma 70/2.8, Sigma 150 and 180/2.8 and Tamron 180/2.8. those lenses can match and even surpass some of the Pentax. what's more is that Pentax lacks the focal length in those zoom range and that is the deal-breaker right there.

02-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Less then a month with DA* lens.
I wish you good luck.
02-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #51
Veteran Member

No true. Why would I fix your lens. Would you fix mine??
that is exactly the point I was trying to say. you yourself never want to spend out of your own pocket for a failed lens, thus show lack of confidence for the lens and certainty that it would fail. otherwise, you could had called my bluff, but you never did.
02-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I wish you good luck.
I don't intend to buy a lower quality lens that i later discover i should have went with the higher quality lens and then have to buy the higher quality lens anyway because the less quality one is not putting out. It will cost you twice as much.

Just as with people who buy cheap tripods, they think tripod is a tripod and later discover the cheap tripod isn't doing the job right. They later buy the good tripod and pay full price for it. End result, they paid for 2 tripods instead of buying the good tripod from the beginning.
02-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Do you work for Pentax USA ?

I can't help but ask, do you work for Pentax USA ? Your responses make me think you work for Pentax.

Don't compare tamrom to DA*. It's like comparing silver to diamond. Da primes are known to offer the best quality and are compared to cannons and Nikon's best lenses optically. If you read cannons forums, you'll be amazed at how many users complain about the lenses and failures.

Again we all would like to see Pentax extending the warranty on those lenses, but that doesn't make them bad lenses as you claim.

02-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I answered "Yes"

Yes, not until Pentax offers version "II" SDM lenses I will not buy them new or used.

Even if Pentax improves the existing design, without letting people know the lens actually changed and is better designed I won't ever consider buying one.

SDM's existing problems which are often discussed on forums was one of the few reasons I added Canon Eos gear in 2008 to my Pentax kit. USM Canon is fast, silent, and has not left me stranded and wishing there was a firmware option to still use a broken lens.

If SDM failures killed people there would have already been a recall. Instead Pentax ignores the problem as its just an annoying and costly problem for unlucky SDM lens owners to deal with. I read its a $300 to $350 repair when needed.

Enjoy SDM.... while it works.
02-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I can't help but ask, do you work for Pentax USA ? Your responses make me think you work for Pentax.
I don't work for Pentax.
02-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
somehow the idea crossed my mind. eventhough he says that he isn't. I just hope that his lens investment would be worth the $1,000 he paid for, a fully functional SDM lens that would last more than just 3 years.
02-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #57
Veteran Member

No if it's a reputable merchant who's been in business since before you were born.
they were reputable when they didn't have SDM lenses. and they didn't have SDM before I was born. I wasn't born just yesterday not to experience SDM failures.
02-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #58
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Do the reported SDM failure problems affect your purchasing?
Yes, definitely, in three ways:

1) From the high number of multiple failures for the same user, it's clear the chance of buying a lame DA* lens is greater than with other Pentax lenses. I really believe it's way beyond "normal failure rate," whatever that might be. (We may never learn the real number of DA*s returned, but we CAN say with confidence that there are many DA*s out there failing intermittently, that Pentax does NOT know about because the user hasn't returned them!)

2) Fortunately, I'm an amateur, so if the DA* lens I buy fails and I have to live without it for 2 or three months while it's repaired, I could survive using other lenses. Not at all happy about it, but I could survive and not switch to Canikon. If I were a pro photographer, I suspect the prevalent intermittent failures and the long time-to-repair would both be show-stoppers.

Or maybe I'd just buy TWO 60-250's so I'd be [almost] sure to have one working copy? [SARCASM]

3) If I were to throw due diligence to the wind and purchase a DA* 60-250, I would most certainly purchase the excellent extended warranty that B&H sells with new stuff, not the worthless warranty that my local Shutterbug shop sells. This same sole-source of reliable insurance means that I do not have the option to purchase the 60-250 used, unless the original purchaser by chance purchased the lens from B&H with the transferrable extended warranty. Thus, the need to get a truly reliable extended warranty severely constrains my choice of vendor (it won't be Pentax USA!) and also adds $200 - $400 to the effective purchase price, already rather steep.

Thus, "YES, it makes a BIG difference" is the only honest answer I can give.
02-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #59

My humble opinion is: as long as you don't touch the connector on the rear of the lens, your lens is still working perfectly for ya ^__^
02-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You talk as if you have been reading a lot but we don't seem to have seen any pictures from you.
Any chance you could post some images taken with this higher quality lens to demonstrate your opinions?
Posting the pictures here do not do justice. The forum automatically re-size them and degrade the quality. The 2nd image is a crop of the eye so you can the details. You can view the original image at http://prowebb.com/IMGP0894.jpg
Attached Images