Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

re-release of old FA lenses

I've looked at the lens offers from all brans and noticed that C, N and S have old lenses on their lineups.

Pentax had some very nice FA lenses but their no longer produced. I know that the main reason is the low demand.

Nevertheless I have a doubt. Why can't produce batches of those lenses to have them on stock?

Does anyone have any ideia on how many lenses would those batchs need to be cost effective?

I find hard to believe that all FA had lead on their optics and lenses from other brands had none.

Regards,

Luis

02-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if it's true that Pentax stopped production of the 50mm f1.4 I can't see it being because of lack of demand.
02-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
if it's true that Pentax stopped production of the 50mm f1.4 I can't see it being because of lack of demand.
The only reason I can see is they thought it would compete with the sale of the DA* 55mm f1.4. Likewise, they may have figured that the FA 35mm f2 was too much in conflict with the FA 31mm ltd and DA 35mm.
02-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Low demand for many of them, sure - but also limited production capability compared to Canikon.

02-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The only reason I can see is they thought it would compete with the sale of the DA* 55mm f1.4. Likewise, they may have figured that the FA 35mm f2 was too much in conflict with the FA 31mm ltd and DA 35mm.
This may be true. But if it is, the strategy isn't working with me. If I could afford the FA 31mm Limited, I'd buy it - regardless of what other less-expensive Pentax lenses were available at or near that focal length. But I can't afford the FA 31. So, in the absence of affordable alternatives from Pentax, I'm looking at third-party options.
02-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Low demand for many of them, sure - but also limited production capability compared to Canikon.
It was probably more to do with limited production capability to a point. However, they used to "stock" a certain amount following a production run. Most smaller manufactures usually do things in production runs rather than continuous production. The demand part is more tricky and relative. With the K-7 and K-x doing so well, I suspect they could sell a lot of the FA 50 and FA 35 at somewhat above the lat '08 price points. Hoya would rather sell DA* 55, FA 31mm and DA 35mm.
02-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
This may be true. But if it is, the strategy isn't working with me. If I could afford the FA 31mm Limited, I'd buy it - regardless of what other less-expensive Pentax lenses were available at or near that focal length. But I can't afford the FA 31. So, in the absence of affordable alternatives from Pentax, I'm looking at third-party options.
I certainly wasn't saying I agree with the strategy. I think it may have back fired given the move the K-x and K-7 has done! The thing with the ltd lenses was a special niche market and it may be growing, but it is always going to be a subset.
02-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

I think you have to see the fact that C&N&S have all FF cameras, therefore keeping old but good FF glass in production makes sense. Pentax people have been saying for past few years that they want to concentrate on APS-C so in that ideology there isn't point/need to keep old FF glass in production, despite the actuall need of pohotogs being different.

BR
Peter

02-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Who says the production of FA50's stopped? Pentax might be producing them at the moment so there is enough stock to ship it as the kit lens with each full frame Pentax when that arrives

PS I don't have interest in a FF Pentax at this stage
02-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Who says the production of FA50's stopped? Pentax might be producing them at the moment so there is enough stock to ship it as the kit lens with each full frame Pentax when that arrives
No way. It will ship with FAj 28-80's!
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Bite your tongue!!!
02-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
That's a big nono, it's going to be a fast prime