Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

mould in lens

I have found what looks like a small amount of mould at the edge of the front element in my fa 50mm lens. Is there anyway of stopping this mould from spreading. On the web UV light is said to kill mould but surely the lens coating prevents this. If I keep it in a dry box will it stop it getting worse or is paying for cleaning, which is probably nearly the cost of the lens, the only way to save the lens?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh and would you by a lens from a camera shop where the proprietor cleans the front element with a wash leather?

02-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwao Quote
I have found what looks like a small amount of mould at the edge of the front element in my fa 50mm lens. Is there anyway of stopping this mould from spreading. On the web UV light is said to kill mould but surely the lens coating prevents this. If I keep it in a dry box will it stop it getting worse or is paying for cleaning, which is probably nearly the cost of the lens, the only way to save the lens?
Ohayo Kiwao. Presumably the mould is on the inside of the front element. I'm surprised that it's so humid at this time of year in Japan, but I guess the mould has been growing for a long time and only just became obvious. The best option would be cleaning professionally, but they will probably have to re-coat the glass because the mould is likely to have damaged the coatings. Using a dry box is worth a try to stop it spreading, but it won't reverse any damage that has already occurred.

QuoteQuote:
Oh and would you by a lens from a camera shop where the proprietor cleans the front element with a wash leather?
Personally no, but that's just me. I'll be interested to see other responses to this thread!

Rob
02-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
mould

When I first got into SLR photoagraphy I was told that once mould got inside the lens you could not clean it. With that said, when I came to Taiwan in 1987 I stored my cameras and lens in a dry box. But if I was using my equipment freqently, I didn't always return them to the dry box. My Vivitar 80-200 zoom became unusably damged but my 2 Pentax M primes have survived to this day even with being somewhat careless. I keep the Vivitar for an example of what can happen and with a slim hope that it could be restored someday.
02-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. The fungus is at the edge and minimal so I an hoping I can stop it its tracks

'Personally no, but that's just me. I'll be interested to see other responses to this thread!'

I didn't! I recently bought a Pentax M 135 f3.5 second hand and I'm so impressed that I have decided to buy with a wider field of view in the M range - 28mm. I was in a camera shop in Fujisawa saw a 28mm f3.5 for about $85. I asked to look at it so he promptly removed it from the cabinet and began to blow on it and wipe the lens with a wash leather. On checking it I found that scratches on the front element. So I'm still looking.