Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #1

Question about cleaning the DA* connector (with strongly concern of SDM issue)

Hi friends,

I currently own a DA* 16-50 and 50-135, and both of them work great for me so far (and how long I am not sure). However, after reading the entire drama about the SDM issues, I just wonder how can I clean the connector of the lenses without causing the SDM problem.

I heard Pentaxpoke said that he cleaned his 50-135 by a fiber clooth and the lens's SDM was dead after that. I am totally confused which is the best way for me to clean it?

Thanks in advance mates

02-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AirSupply Quote

I heard Pentaxpoke said that he cleaned his 50-135 by a fiber clooth and the lens's SDM was dead after that.
What!?! The way you wrote that implies that I said that the act of cleaning the contacts killed the SDM. I never said that. Cleaning the contacts with a microfiber cloth will not damage the contacts. What I said is that after the lens exhibited SDM intermittency, I took the steps that people are fond to recommend: clean the contacts. It had no effect.

"Clean the contacts" is one of the most overused recommendations there is. All modern lenses have contacts for different functions. How often do you hear that people need to clean them to get their lens to work properly? Cleaning lens contacts is one of those urban myths that somehow got started as a fix to SDM. What most likely happened is that the act of dismounting and remounting the lens "woke up" the SDM, as does spinning the focus ring sometimes.

Please be more careful when attributing a recommendation to another person. If you want to quote me, fine. But please quote what I actually said, and in context.

In fact, I will do it for you. Here is the thread where I talk about cleaning the contacts:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/81128-more-sup...-problems.html

And here is exactly what I said on the subject of contacts cleaning:
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Before I get the inevitable "did you clean the contacts" question...the answer is "yes." I cleaned the contacts with microfiber cloth, and they are so clean and shiny you can see yourself in them. It is not the contacts! Also, I take immaculate care of my lenses, storing them in their protective pouches in an air conditioned environment when not being used.
So where are you getting that I cleaned the contacts, and then the SDM was dead?

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 02-09-2010 at 12:04 PM.
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry Pentaxpoke, I thought that I read that from you. Thanks for correcting me, and sorry for the misundertanding.
02-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SDM

Hi guys,
I dont have SDM-DA but am considering 300 f/4,have heard alot about this
and its kind of scary.in thinking about it, has anyone ever admitted to,
or has pentax ever responded to a complaint in this matter with something
along the line of "well the switch was on when the lens came off" Seems
like that could cause some serious problems,least of which would be to
burnish the contacts between body and lens.
Ever here anything like that?

02-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Hi guys,
I dont have SDM-DA but am considering 300 f/4,have heard alot about this
and its kind of scary.in thinking about it, has anyone ever admitted to,
or has pentax ever responded to a complaint in this matter with something
along the line of "well the switch was on when the lens came off" Seems
like that could cause some serious problems,least of which would be to
burnish the contacts between body and lens.
Ever here anything like that?
That sure is not why my DA* 50-135 is crapping out. I have never, ever, changed a lens with the power on. I am not particularly concerned with contacts - it just drops the static charge on the sensor, and keeps the dust level down. I turn the camera off, take the lens off with the mount down, etc. My DA* 50-135 has been returned by Pentax Canada, where I sent it, with the comment that they "cleaned and adjusted the contacts". I have contacted them about it dying again, but no reply yet.
02-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That sure is not why my DA* 50-135 is crapping out. I have never, ever, changed a lens with the power on. I am not particularly concerned with contacts - it just drops the static charge on the sensor, and keeps the dust level down. I turn the camera off, take the lens off with the mount down, etc. My DA* 50-135 has been returned by Pentax Canada, where I sent it, with the comment that they "cleaned and adjusted the contacts". I have contacted them about it dying again, but no reply yet.
That stinks Al. I was really concerned about the potential for service to do that with me as well. Intermittent problems are an opportunity for them to say "nothing was wrong." It sounds like you really do have the same type of SDM problem that many describe. It just stops working, and you have to "wake it up" and then it works for a while right? I think the "clean the contacts" myth started because pretty much anything you can do to get the motor spinning again, seems to work, and the first thing a lot of people do is take of the lens and try to clean the contacts.

IMO, I think you really need to impress upon them that this is an intermittent problem, and suspect it is an SDM failure. It is still under waranty right?
02-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SDM

Have you ever seen a balky window fan, wouldnt turn until rotor was spun by hand?
Kinda,sorta, sounds like that, only in a far more sophisicated appliction of
technology. In the case of balky fan,it indicates ground fault on windings of motor.

02-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
...<SNIP>... It is still under waranty right?
Unfortunately, it was "repaired" during the warranty period, but received back after the two year Canadian warranty expired. This is going to be an exchange of increasingly nasty emails, I think.

If they won't repair it, I will have a lens with superb optics and manual focus. I just spent $300 to repair damage to my k10d. I don't have that kind of money to spend on repairing a lens that works fine as an MF lens.
02-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I just spent $300 to repair damage to my k10d. I don't have that kind of money to spend on repairing a lens that works fine as an MF lens.
For that kind of money (and maybe $60-70 more) you could've bought a used one in perfect working condition
02-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
For that kind of money (and maybe $60-70 more) you could've bought a used one in perfect working condition
Actually, I tried for warranty repair on the camera, but Pentax found that the top plate was cracked. By that time, I just wanted my camera back. It's good to go for quite a few years now, (provided I don't slip on icy rocks by a waterfall again.)