Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fear of SDM failure - a real life story

I was on my way to a photo shoot at a local power plant. I had my trusty K20D in the bag with the 60-250 attached, in traditional aircraft carrier "ready alert" style (ready to pull out and shoot in a jiffy). The 60-250 has been a new relationship for me having dabbled mostly in primes. All the talk about SDM failure was somewhat a put off, but the need for a long tele won me over in spite of the many failure reports.

Well, halfway through the drive to the plant, I pulled the car over to take a quick snap of a group of swans flying in formation, but behold! The lens would not focus! OH NO! OH (cencorship)! SDM failure! I was sure of it. So young! Well, as it turns out I had mistakenly flipped the AF/MF switch on the lens after pulling it from the bag. It just goes to show that it did not even cross my mind that I had somehow flipped it, but the thought that immediately came to mind was SDM failure. Shame on me. But boy was I relieved

I love the 60-250mm by the way.

02-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No Fear

Hi Zor,
well........ Did you nail the swans?
02-10-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nah, just a white blob of something with MF on. I think I scared them a bit though with my cussing
02-10-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Always another day

Anything special in regards to shoot at plant,here alot on this side of the water
that you folks are going green in a big way.

02-10-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
Nah, just a white blob of something with MF on. I think I scared them a bit though with my cussing
I heard Wheatfield scared away a bear with his cussing when his 60-250 SDM died.

Funny story Zorglub. Glad you haven't joined us (yet.)
02-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

happy ending after all
02-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I heard Wheatfield scared away a bear with his cussing when his 60-250 SDM died.
Actually, it was a Rottweiler.

One of the recurring themes I read on this forum is how either an operator error or else some normal noise in the camera (sensor flop for example) is automatically presumed to be a defective piece of equipment.
At least the OP was trying to take pictures, but often, people set their camera up to fail with poorly thought out and badly implemented "tests" and then get pissy when it fails.
02-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
Well, as it turns out I had mistakenly flipped the AF/MF switch on the lens after pulling it from the bag. It just goes to show that it did not even cross my mind that I had somehow flipped it, but the thought that immediately came to mind was SDM failure.
LOL. I did the same thing a few weeks ago. That switch is way too easy to flip