Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have an SMC-M 100F4 macro and both an SMC 50mm F1.4

they are both very good lenses, the SMC 100 F4 macro is essentually the same as the SMC-M. optically.

I did not look at the prices, but I would say if you can get either f these for $100 you are doingOK.

The SMC-A 50mm F1.4 will cost more but is better because you can use all the auto exposure modes with it
02-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

And be careful about the first one... it's just the case, not the lens itself
02-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Speaking from experience?

02-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
good catch, I missed that one.
02-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for catching that. Any other thoughts about the other lenses?
02-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Luckily no I'm glad that I might've spared someone from it though
02-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CrossStealth Quote
Thanks for catching that. Any other thoughts about the other lenses?
If I were looking for lenses, the only 2 on that list that would really get my attention are the 50mm f1.4 lenses and given the price of the M, I think it is a bit high. The $160 BIN is the high average for that lens which ranges about $110-255. This is one of the lenses on my watch list and keep up with them from several sources. I have watched ~ 25 of them sell over the past 3 years from various sources.

If I didn't have any fast 50s and was looking to get an MF lens, I wouldn't hesitate on that A lens assuming it is in the condition described. I bet anything that one of the losers on the other A will either pull out of the bidding and jump on that one.

Those macros aren't 1:1 so keep that in mind. That's not a bad thing except for the fact that they are already f4 which means and extension tube is going to add to that. if 1:2 will work for you, that is different, but I think these are slightly on the high side. Remember that M lenses and k lenses will require the green button.

Luckily no I'm glad that I might've spared someone from it though
I have scared myself a couple of times. I saw a relatively rare lens pictured in the auction with a minute left and nearly bid but realized it was just an accy. I have learned to be more careful. Its amazing how many cases are listed out there with high enough prices to mistake for the actual lens.

02-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you don't have one already, I would get a cheap 50mm 1.4 or 55mm 1.8 to play/learn with... they mostly go for under $100. I have a polarizer filter (that some say doesnt deserve to be on it) on my M 50mm thatcost about the same as I paid for the lens.

If the A version goes too high, you might as well get a FA 50.
02-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I would skip over the two zooms right away. You can probably get the Gemini or something like it for shipping costs in our Marketplace. Anyone who buys a lot of stuff ends up with lenses like this taking up space. I don't think the Pentax zoom is very useful - significant overlap with the DA 18-55, slow, made of cheap plastic and feels like it. You can find AF versions of this lens attached to a film camera for half this price if you look hard.

The M100/4 is definitely not worth $229, especially since it has a broken light shield tab next to the aperture lever. The other M100/4 has a stripped mount screw and something else odd about its aperture lever. The front element has odd swirls on it that could be bad, but the photos aren't good enough to tell. These lenses sell over a wide price range. It seems like sometimes, all buyers think "it's only f4 and 1:2 and manual, I don't want it" and other times, they all think "wow, Macro!".

The A50/1.4 prices used to be too close to the FA50/1.4 new price. It didn't make sense to buy one. Now, the FA50 price is up, and the A50/1.4 prices have risen too. With those photos, I bet the auction one goes for $200. It's a beautiful lens. The A50/1.7 is still a better value.
02-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CrossStealth Quote
Everyone seems to have overlooked the BIN A 50mm f1.4 and this is the one which I was referring.
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #12

Original Poster
I think Im actually going to get a FA-50mm 1.4 I probably will have to pay a lot more but I think Id really be happy with it. But my gf has brought up a good point. I think Ill need a fast zoom for when I go to kickboxing matches and have to sit about 100 feet away from the ring. Any idea what would be a good zoom lens for this? I think those DA lenses would be good but they are just too expensive for me :/
02-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Everyone seems to have overlooked the BIN A 50mm f1.4 and this is the one which I was referring.
The listing kind of sucks, except for the price. (I think BIN prices should be high average - extra cost for the convenience.)
  • Opening it makes IE8 ask if I want to run ietag.dll, probably just sloppy software used to create the listing.
  • One dinky photo, uncropped, with the filter on. For the buyer, can't see any problems, of course, but it doesn't mean there aren't any. For the seller, make the buyer lust for your lens.
  • The description covers all the bases, although short. Then the disclaimer says the seller doesn't know anything, might have missed stuff, and if you have to return because of their stupidity, you pay shipping.

But I am kind of a snob about that. The seller has enough feedback to prove me wrong.

I think you're right; as soon as the auction price for the other one goes above $160, someone will pick up this one.