Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you want something along 110mm effective focal distance. Maybe 70mm or maybe even 77mm or maybe just one of the old 85mm's

02-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
... landscape, go for the DA 15 ltd;
Interestingly, when I am playing Ansel Adams with my 4x5, I tend to use the 210mm focal length more than any other.
Unfortunately, there are no real hard and fast rules about which lens is best for which subject.
A wide angle lens get's pretty tired pretty quickly if it's all you use for landscape photography.
I have always maintained that the best all round lens is the standard lens. On an APS-C DSLR, this translates to somewhere around 30mm. I shot for many, many years using just a 50mm lens on the 35mm format, and I still find myself most comfortable with lenses around the normal range.
02-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Interestingly, when I am playing Ansel Adams with my 4x5, I tend to use the 210mm focal length more than any other.
Unfortunately, there are no real hard and fast rules about which lens is best for which subject.
A wide angle lens get's pretty tired pretty quickly if it's all you use for landscape photography.
I have always maintained that the best all round lens is the standard lens. On an APS-C DSLR, this translates to somewhere around 30mm. I shot for many, many years using just a 50mm lens on the 35mm format, and I still find myself most comfortable with lenses around the normal range.
I grew up with 55 mm lenses Takumar, SMC Pentax, for normal work. I notice that my 16-50 is most often used around the 35-40 mm range, and 55 FOV comes out at 37 on the APS-C sensor. Maybe you have something there.

After all that, my best selling print was taken at 12mm on the DA 12-24.
02-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It seems to me that most 35mm film camera packages contain the same prime lenses (when the budget doesn't restrict the camera department to a zoom) that a stills photographer would want to carry:

14, 24, 35, 50, 75, 100, 135, 200, 300 (the 40 and 85 were omitted - stills can move a bit more easily than a motion picture camera on a dolly). That's a lot of glass to carry in a camera bag which I suppose is why most have a cart.

Again, thanks for the insight, its been awhile since I thought about these things and its nice to be able to get some insight from experienced enthusiasts. Most professionals are working with specific obligations in mind and that doesn't always translate well into the enthusiast's world, especially when it comes to offering "real world" advice. Most professional still photographers I've been on sets with know very little about the "enthusiast" world. They are very gracious with their knowledge about technique though and I'm very thankful for that since it translates better.

I'm curious if anyone here knows or has read about the old school photojournalists from the 60s-70s and what lenses they carried around in the streets and jungles of the world back then.

02-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I'm curious if anyone here knows or has read about the old school photojournalists from the 60s-70s and what lenses they carried around in the streets and jungles of the world back then.
This thread might interest you! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/65713-combat-photographer-tells-all.html
02-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One common recommended kit was 28, 55, 135. The 28 (18 on APS-C) field of view is about as wide as you can go without the people on the edges getting really, really, wide. That was the indoor people lens. The 55 was the indoor head shot, standing person, etc. The 135 was the sports lens, or the picture of the fireman rescuing the kitten in the tree. This was my kit for many years. I substituted the A 70-210 for the 135 in the late 70's.
02-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I agree with you. I often use my DA* 200 for landscape. However, I think it is safe to say that wide angle lens get used more often than téléphoto for landscape.