Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adapting a Vivitar zoom with a P/K for use w kx

I just got my new Kx and got a couple of nice old lenses but only the Macro works. The Vivitar Tele Zoom doesnt and I heard others have had the same situation but managed to adapt the P/K so that it worked on a DSLR.

I read some threads were they alked about taking the dremel and modify it the hard way but I dont really recognize were any change needs to be done or even how.

Took some images with an old compact of my new Sigma, the Macro that works and the Tele that doesnt work and was hoping for some pointers on how to, if possible, do this cause I really want to use this Tele 80-200.
The Tele is the tall one ( obvious I know but Im a true amateur.. )

I can see the "rim" on the tele is longer but no idea if that matters or not.

Last edited by aliasant; 02-19-2013 at 10:20 AM.
02-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did find one thread that might be what I need ...

.. but would really love any pointers and additional tips.
Here's that other thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19602-dremel-t...ification.html

Last edited by aliasant; 02-11-2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: crappy spelling :)
02-11-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On the vivitar there is this very long protection sleeve sticking out at the back, which is supposed to prevent damage to the aperture lever. You see, that it goes around the rear lens element for roughl y 1/3 of the whole circumspherence, way more than the short protection sleeve on the macro lens. This has to be removed, either brutally or (if that is possible) more gently by simply screwing it off. Often these sleeves are part of a plastic insert held by three or four tiny screws, which can be removed easily. But i don't know that particular lens.

Ben
02-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The protection sleeve thing is attached using only 2 very small screws that I can easily remove but if I do this the Aparture Lever will be unprotected... hmm.

Right now I was thinking maybe remove the ring. Seaten it firmly between 2 pieces of wood and then gently remove the unecessary part of the ring using my Dremel.
Doesnt feel like an easy task.
At least not if I want to make it look good but maybe it doesnt have to.... ?

02-11-2010, 06:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

this part is easily trimmed with a file, dremel, or small saw.

it is very soft and will cut in about a minute.

just remember to paint over the cut edges to stop any reflections

it does not need to be pretty, but it will turn out OK
02-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
Inactive Account

You'll have to remove most of the shield to get the lens to fit. Take the shield off, and trim it to match one of the lenses that do fit. Use a marker or paint to blacken it again.
02-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I will do this later on tonight and will post back the result + maybe some pictures of it.
Annoying that just now, outside my moms window, there is a sparrow hawk feasting on what we think is another bird and we have no way to shoot it proper.
Tried with a Lumix 18xzoom but it was not possible. Whish I had the tele fixed but.... Damn Hawk. Will have to ask it to come back next week
02-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Its done and it was as simple as it seemed.
The lens works as it should but its night time here so I havnt been able to really test it yet. Took a couple of realy boring shts from my balcony and they looked sharp. Nice lens Heres a couple of images that arnt much to see but I thought Id post them anyways. All taken in low light using my 100mm 1:4 f4 SMC M Macro lens with the built in Kx flash.

Removed the ring. Simpe job. Only 2 tiny screws to remove.
To make sure I wouldnt loose them I placed them on a small neodynium magnet.
After I removed it I placed it between two wooden boards to keep it steady in place and free up my hands.
Then used the Dremel tool to take away some of the soft metal.
As seen on the image I didnt have to remove all of it. Only about half way down.

After that I polished the harsh edges with the sharp side of a wood drill ( I took what I had close ) to get rid of any small remains and tested it to make sure it would work.
Finally I painted it black as suggested.

After it dried for 2 hours I screwed it back on again and it all seems to work perfectly.

Thanx again for all the tips.

Last edited by aliasant; 02-19-2013 at 10:20 AM.
02-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #9

File works too

Not owning a Dremel I used a file to do a shieldectomy on an older Vivitar lens. It took just a couple of minutes to unscrew the shield and then file it down - the metal is very soft. I finished it off with a quick shot of matt black paint and screwed it back. Not five minutes and it looked like new!

Mike
02-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #10

Hello, dears,
I`m using Pentax KX digital camera.
Just got a VIVITAR 80mm-200mm ZOOM f/4.5. Is there any possibility to use it on my K-X without physical cutting?

Thanks
02-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vilkvaale Quote
Hello, dears,
I`m using Pentax KX digital camera.
Just got a VIVITAR 80mm-200mm ZOOM f/4.5. Is there any possibility to use it on my K-X without physical cutting?

Thanks
Depends on what mount the lens was made for?

Mine was Pentax but I still needed to perform a small surgery on it.
You might have to do the same.
Dont worry.
It was quite simple after all.
Post a picture of your lens maybe?
02-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote

Dont worry.
Mine should be for Pentax too. I`ll try to take some pics this evening and insert here.

Is it possible to adapt to pentax camera without surgery? It seems strange to me...
Thanks.
02-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I read that the aperture protector ring isn't really necessary and can be removed completely. I have done this to a Vivitar zoom lens and it works. I kept the ring and the screws just in case.
02-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vilkvaale Quote
Mine should be for Pentax too. I`ll try to take some pics this evening and insert here.

Is it possible to adapt to pentax camera without surgery? It seems strange to me...
Thanks.
Some third-party lens makers build their lenses in slightly different ways than Pentax does. They work with cameras in use when the lens is made, but may have trouble on other models. This light shield runs into a protrusion that wasn't there when the lens was built.
02-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote

Dont worry.
This is how my Vivitar lens looks like. Is it necessary to cut something of?
Attached Images