Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
look out bugs, the big gun is here

Finally finished my macro bellows set-up

I found a 135mm macro lens and focusing rail in a second hand store for $25.

It was for a miranda SLR, but the lens had a deffective aperture. I thought I had that fixed, but it was just too far gone.

at the suggestion of some forum members, I sought out an enlarger lens, and by stealing the T-mount to Miranda adaptor from the origonal soligor 135mm macro lens, and adapting it to the enlarging lens, I now have a complete setup.

The bellows retains its miranda mounts, and the back mount of the bellows has a 4 prong miranda bayonette mount. Along with all the bits and peices I collected with this was a bayonette to Miranda Screw Mount (M44) adaptor. I cut the M44 thread off and attached a flanged M42-K mount adaptor, so I can mount to the camera.

I also got with this a set of M44 extension tubes, which for the shot below, I attached as well.

Looks rather impresive doesn't it?

One nice thing about the enlarger lenses, these are flat field to flat field lenses, and have circular apertures due to a very high number of blades.

Attached Images

02-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Yes, quite impressive looking and you have the satisfaction of building it yourself. I'm looking forward to counting those 8 eyes on your household spiders.
02-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Impressive mod, can't wait to see the images from it.
02-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #4

You mean it'll actually take a picture!. It's pretty impressive as it stands, kudos for a great looking pickup & mod!

02-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK

not so dramatic shot.

this is the scale off a 1 inch micromoter at maximum bellows extension.

note that this represents about 1.15 times life size

I took the shot really just to check the magnification ratio, and to answer the question above, "Does it really take photos?"

what is nice is that at this magnification, I have 10 inches working distance. I can easily get this magnification by other means, either with my SMC -M 100F4 or with my SMC Tak 50mm F4 macros and extension tubes, but not with the same working distance.

shot using halogen lighting and correcting in PSP X3 after.

Since the front end of this is a T mount, I can easily change lenses at any time, but I think I will play with this a little before any other changes
Attached Images

02-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Ok it works, now for the bugs you promised!
02-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Same general idea, these are from my 105mm enlarger lens on a set of M42 bellows (originally from a copy stand by the looks of it, but minus the stand). I had been using an extension tube to clear the flash hump but now that I've pulled the locking pin from my M42-K adaptor I can mount the bellows directly and have regained infinity focus.

Overall this is a nice way to get high magnification and a long working distance at a low cost and weight, though manually stopping down to meter and shoot is limiting compared to a portrait macro lens for general use.

02-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here is my little gun setup

I have been bringing together a bellows setup like Lowell. In fact we have ended up pretty nearly in the same place. Mine is a m42 bellows with a Nikon enlarging lens 50mm f4. I also have a couple of Vivitar enlargers, a 75 3.5 and a 105 4.5. All these are 39mm threads so I have to use a 39 to 42 mm adapter.

As Lowell said these make great macro lenses for bellows use. I managed to get an ancient 90 degree magnifying finder, it's a Pentax one from the spotmatic era. I had to grind the edges of the mount in order for it to fit my K20.

Just can't wait for summer to arrive when I can try the thing out outdoors. In northern NY State the winter freeze everything so no wildlife till March or April.

Last edited by telfish; 01-30-2011 at 10:19 AM.
02-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
I have been bringing together a bellows setup like Lowell. In fact we have ended up pretty nearly in the same place. Mine is a m42 bellows with a Nikon enlarging lens 50mm f4. I also have a couple of Vivitar enlargers, a 75 3.5 and a 105 4.5. All these are 39mm threads so I have to use a 39 to 42 mm adapter.

As Lowell said these make great macro lenses for bellows use. I managed to get an ancient 90 degree magnifying finder, it's a Pentax one from the spotmatic era. I had to grind the edges of the mount in order for it to fit my K20.
I did the same long ago with the right angle finder for my KX If you'd like i can mount that too and retake the shot
QuoteQuote:

Just can't wait for summer to arrive when I can try the thing out outdoors. In northern NY State the winter freeze everything so no wildlife till March or April.
It's so cold here I can't even find a house fly
06-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #10

Picked up a New macro 50 f4 two shots dragonfly and Cicada