Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CameraLensRental.com

Just used Camera Lens Rental (http://www.cameralensrentals.com) for the first time and can't say enough about how helpful and easy to work with they were. I rented a DA 17-70mm f/4 SDM and a pair of PocketWizards from them. Items arrived in excellent shape (PocketWizards were delivered sans batteries but not a big deal). The PocketWizards ended up not working with my Photogenic strobes (didn't have the right cables) so I didn't get a chance to try them out. When I explained to them what happened, they simply told me that they will look into getting the right cables for me and my next rental of the PocketWizards would be on them....that took me totally by surprise as I wasn't even asking for any portion of my rental fee back on the units.

Anyway, in this day of piss-poor customer service almost everywhere, I thought it important to recognize at least one company that's bucking that trend.

As for the DA 17-70mm....the lens performed well enough but it's no replacement for my DA 70mm Limited. I had rented the 17-70mm because I was asked to do some "boudoir" photos for a friend and knew I'd be shooting in a house and with probably cramped spaces. I have nothing between my DA 12-24mm and my DA*50-135mm so I decided to try them out and rent the 17-70mm.

The 17-70mm was the perfect focal length for indoors but I found I was mostly in the 35-70mm range. I'll probably hold out for the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for this type of work because it's faster and it is NOT an SDM lens.

Later,
Terry

02-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed.

I have rented both a Bigma and a DA*300mm and everything went perfect. Highly recommended way to try before you buy an expensive lens.