Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SDM - Pentax Canada come through!

Pentax Canada just emailed me about the DA* 50-135 f/2.8 with failing SDM that I purchased in November 2007, and which was not repaired correctly under warranty after being sent to them Oct 23/2009 (Two year warranty in Canada). Here is the latest communication about the lens. In six weeks or so, when the lens returns, I will update this thread with the actual results.

Here is the email I received today. The lens leaves tomorrow. The reference to adjusting the lens to their master body is because I objected to sending back the camera with the lens, and stated that my DA* 16-50 f/2.8 is still working fine.

QuoteQuote:
Hello:
I have spoken to the Service Manager, he has requested that you forward lens to us. We will repair and adjust to our Master body.
Best regards
CSR2
The Pentax CSR Team

02-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good luck with that Albert.
02-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Good luck with the repair!
02-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I assume that means they will repair it under warranty? If so, that is great Al. (great that you don't have to pay. Not great that you have to wait 6 weeks for a flaw that shouldn't be happening anyway.)

Now this question has probably been answered before, but I haven't seen it personally: How is it that the warranty in Canada is 2 years and not 1? That extra year just saved you about 300 bucks. Nice!

02-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I assume that means they will repair it under warranty? If so, that is great Al. (great that you don't have to pay. Not great that you have to wait 6 weeks for a flaw that shouldn't be happening anyway.)

Now this question has probably been answered before, but I haven't seen it personally: How is it that the warranty in Canada is 2 years and not 1? That extra year just saved you about 300 bucks. Nice!
Canada has a Pentax warranty up to 2 years. but then again, 2 years of security doesn't safeguard you from future annual repair costs beyond that, unless you pay extra for an extended warranty. it still fall short in comparison with Tamron and Sigma which have manufacturers' warranty. eventhough, you don't have to worry about SDM failures.
02-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Canada has a Pentax warranty up to 2 years. but then again, 2 years of security doesn't safeguard you from future annual repair costs beyond that, unless you pay extra for an extended warranty. it still fall short in comparison with Tamron and Sigma which have manufacturers' warranty. eventhough, you don't have to worry about SDM failures.
I completely agree. You are preaching to the choir. I was just wondering if it was Pentax Canada that unilaterally made the warranty better than anywhere else, or is there something in Canadian product law that requires it to be at least 2 years?
02-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd just like to point out that although Pentax Canada gives us double the warranty for some things (if not everything) they don't always honor if

As an example I tested a new K20D for one store, and it kept on freezing up. We tried 2 different lenses, new batteries, different memory cards... and nothing made a difference.
So we opened up their second copy, which performed flawlessly.
When Bill sent in the faulty camera Pentax Canada told him they couldn't find a fault, asking if he'd like it back. He said No, and canceled any he had on order.... until he figured they shipped it elsewhere.

We also get up to a 10 year warranty on some Sigma lenses
02-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote

We also get up to a 10 year warranty on some Sigma lenses
Wow! Camera companies must have some statistics that show that Canadians take better care of their gear. 10 years!?! Heck that is approaching the equivalent of lifetime warranty.

02-12-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think that some people honestly think we live in darkness 6 months a year, doubling the warranty thinking that it's only fair
02-12-2010, 02:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I completely agree. You are preaching to the choir. I was just wondering if it was Pentax Canada that unilaterally made the warranty better than anywhere else, or is there something in Canadian product law that requires it to be at least 2 years?
the only logical reason I could find is that we pay a much higher premium. but then again, Pentax lenses were cheaper or as cheap from across the border back then, even after duties. the reasons for such increase still has escaped logic. we do have a Canadian plant, yet our prices costs more than the U.S. surely a population of 30 million people doesn't or shouldn't effect the costs nowadays.

or the most probable reason of such increase is because the recession finally hit us tremendously last year. it's more of a cost-cutting, profit-gaining and sustaining factor made by Pentax. oh well, Thank You Lehman Bros. next time you play poker, make sure that you play Russian roulette afterwards.
02-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow! Camera companies must have some statistics that show that Canadians take better care of their gear. 10 years!?! Heck that is approaching the equivalent of lifetime warranty.
yup we got 10 years. that's why I took the gamble when I saw Sigma was offering a 10 year warranty. and as long as Sigma keeps on improving their products and retaining their warranty deal, I won't have second thoughts on which zoom lens to buy. Tamron perhaps might need a lil bit of lens body tweaking to make them more competitive.
02-12-2010, 02:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I think that some people honestly think we live in darkness 6 months a year, doubling the warranty thinking that it's only fair
who knows, they might even think that we're Eskimos.
02-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
who knows, they might even think that we're Eskimos.
Uhh, yeah, because we're actually Inuit.
02-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Uhh, yeah, because we're actually Inuit.
so does where Palin is. well, you get the point.
02-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Nikon also offers 2 years warranty in Canada. When I see better warranties on our side of the border, I feel that in some small things, at least, we get better deals that fellow Us citizens. Given that we pay more even for things manufactured in our own country, it's only fair