02-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Short comparaison 100mm Macro D-FA vs NEW D-FA WR

First; the new SMC Pentax D-FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR

and only for the beauty of the light reflection in the coating

02-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice comparison. At the f/2.8 comparison you can clearly see the hexagonal circles on the non-WR compared to the clean circles produced by the WR version.
02-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm really impressed that they added WR and actually decreased the diameter a smidgeon. I assumed the new version would be bigger.

Do you see a difference in IQ? I can't see any significant difference looking at these photos. Maybe something more bokeh oriented would show more?

Thanks for the comparison.
02-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other than the highlights the images look pretty much the same to me. Do you have to decide which one to keep?

02-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm really impressed that they added WR and actually decreased the diameter a smidgeon. I assumed the new version would be bigger.

Do you see a difference in IQ? I can't see any significant difference looking at these photos. Maybe something more bokeh oriented would show more?

Thanks for the comparison.
It's actually lighter too despite having a full metal body and WR. They are pretty much exactly identical in terms of optics and number of blades, so there are very minimal to no difference in IQ at all. The only difference is the bokeh. The WR with circular shaped blades remains circular at wide-open, while the non-WR would need to be stopped down to to achieve the same effect due to it's hexagon shaped blades.
02-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Really nice post. Thank you for your efforts. I'm sure this will be a very popular read. As far as differences, if LeDave had not pointed out the hexagonal circles my eyes would have have said the two lenses are the same for all intents and purposes. I would be happy with either. Again, great post.
02-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Didn't notice the circles either. But to me, it does seemt the the WR has just the slightest bit more contrast.

02-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
...As far as differences, if LeDave had not pointed out the hexagonal circles my eyes would have have said the two lenses are the same for all intents and purposes...
Me thinks those are octogons...

Steve
02-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In reference to the diaphragm blades, the new WR has the same number of blades, but Pentax have changed the contour of the blade to a compound curve. The affect is to cast a more circular profile at wider apertures. Very cool idea!

Steve
02-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Lol yeah those are octagons then (I'm one of those dumb people who don't know the difference between octagon and hexagon :P ). Also I am mistaken, the more wide-open it is, the less differences are seen between the circle and octagon, but when stopped down, it becomes more visible. Makes more sense since light scatters much more at a larger aperture opening which doesn't show the octagonal shape from the blades, compared to allowing less light going through at a smaller opening. So the WR version retains its circular bokeh when stopped down while the non-WR loses it, light is more controlled when stopping down, and that's also explains why fast primes are sharper when stopped down.

Last edited by LeDave; 02-13-2010 at 07:12 PM.
02-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks guys

Opticaly they are the same lenses.
Only changed the circular blades, the WR and the "limited" aluminium body (wich is very, very nice; looks like a long 77, about same feeling.
The focus ring is really pleasant.
02-14-2010, 02:48 AM   #12
emr

Great work, thanks. To my eyes it seems they're virtually identical excluding the slightly different shape of aperture blades and bokeh.
02-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
...The only difference is the bokeh. The WR with circular shaped blades remains circular at wide-open, while the non-WR would need to be stopped down to to achieve the same effect due to it's hexagon shaped blades.
I think you got it the other way round.
At maximum aperture, for the non-WR DFA version, all the aperture blades would be retracted so there would be a round oof highlights.
As you use smaller apertures, the DFA oof highlights become progressively smaller and more distinct with the octagons becoming more obvious, not less.
The feel of the WR focusing ring when focusing manually is even better than the FA Limiteds.
02-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #14

Is this lens a 1:1 macro like the old A series?

Might be an alternative to me chasing down a Vivitar 105mm
02-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice shots. When I look closely, I likes the results of the older version better. They seem clearer and more detailed to me.

Jason