Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SIGMA 50-500MM LENS

I'm considering in the very near future to buy the Bigma" I find that it is readily available for Canon- Nikon- Sigma etc. but not for Pentax at this moment.Does anyone know what is causing the delay for Pentax owners? Thanks--Charliezap

Last edited by charliezap; 11-03-2011 at 04:04 AM.
02-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Good question but if you really need one now the 2nd tier NY stores like Beach Camera and 47th St. Photo claim to have them in stock.
02-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I usually buy from B&H or Adorama and they don't have them at this time.I'm in no big rush to get one so i'll just bide my time.
02-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Makes sense. If you want one to play with in the meantime, cameralensrentals.com would be happy to rent you one for a day/week/month. I kept one of theirs for a couple weeks when trying to decide what big lens I wanted.

Good luck.

02-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Makes sense. If you want one to play with in the meantime, cameralensrentals.com would be happy to rent you one for a day/week/month. I kept one of theirs for a couple weeks when trying to decide what big lens I wanted.

Good luck.
One thing that bothers me is I heard that the lens for the Pentax is not HSM
02-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
One thing that bothers me is I heard that the lens for the Pentax is not HSM
This is probably the reason for the delay. I would expect Sigma to release a SDM version, instead of producing another batch of screwdriver AF lenses for Pentax. But the Bigma works nicely with the mechanical AF, by the way.

Ben
02-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I actually wrote to Sigma about the HSM issue and they replied that there were NO plans to build/market an HSM version of the BIGMA for Pentax...

Mike
02-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I actually wrote to Sigma about the HSM issue and they replied that there were NO plans to build/market an HSM version of the BIGMA for Pentax...

Mike
Are they serious about that? That would be plain stupid. It would also be cheaper to produce just the HSM/SDM modell, than to run two different versions.

Ben

02-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Are they serious about that? That would be plain stupid. It would also be cheaper to produce just the HSM/SDM modell, than to run two different versions.

Ben
They sounded quite serious and they already have multiple versions. Developing HSM for their Pentax mount is evidently something they just don't see as financially viable. Sorta sucks, but my non HSM BIGMA works just fine.

Mike