Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Don't worry...LBA will return...it always does...

Steve

(BTW...You have a pretty plush setup. I have been tempted to do something pretty similar...)

This is true - we all go through the naive "Well, I don't think I need any more lenses! I'm good!" phase. It passes.

02-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

As for the FA 77...I really like the lens. It is one of the few purchases I have made that truly lived up to the hype.

Steve

I was just standing in Walgreens leafing through this month's Popular Photography, and they had a section describing lens categories, kinda aimed at newbies - Super zoom, fast-50, mid-range zoom, super telephoto, macro, etc, etc. They had a photo of some lens representing each category, and the photo they had representing the "fast short telephoto" category was... The 77ltd. Probably because it's just so darn purty. Or possibly because the author of the article liked it best in that category.

Anyway, thought it was neat because that category included all the 85mms from Canon, Nikon, Oly, etc.

02-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Shooting with fast shutter speeds is only one reason to have fast lenses. The ability to get narrow depth of field is another. LBA is a disease that afflicts different people in different amounts. I would say that I have a mild case. There are lenses that I want/am saving for, but I am unlikely to sell any of my kids to get them.

On the other hand, it is amazing how different your camera will shoot with one lens versus another on it. The bokeh, the rendering. It is like you have a different camera when all you have done is change the lens.

I would say that I envy most, not other's lenses, but their ability to capture such beautiful photos with the lenses they have.
Yes, shooting with a fast shutter speed is really essential, inorder to keep your image sharp and in-focus. that's why fast lenses are also necessary.

what is more impressive though is how a P&S shooter have the ability to capture beautiful photos against someone who's using a dslr camera. well that doesn't give justice to the equipment, does it?
02-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know the feeling

I've actually come to a crawl on my lens buying spree of 2009. I bought my K10d in Jan. 09 after finally getting fed up with the limitations of my p&s. Bought a kit lens to go with it because I didn't fully understand f-stops and all that jazz. I also figured I'd add the 55-300mm and call my setup golden.

Now I've figured out that low light gathering power doesn't come in a kit lens. There has been some buying and selling for experiments to define what worked for me.

LBA did rear its ugly head when I saw a BIN Tokina 80-400mm version 2 pop up. It was my missing link as far as portable reach, so I should be done now. I hope...