Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrmentera Quote
I read somewhere that tha angels the film-FA´s throw the light on the sensor isnt optimal.
No wonder the Limited lenses are so nice. Most lenses have to use glass to throw the light rather than divine power.

The strength of DA (or D-FA lenses, I hope) is that the light is more "parallell" on the sensors middle and the edges, or near 90 degrees all over the sensor.
In technical terms, they're "telecentric". This is one reason 4/3rds System lenses are so expensive: all lenses are required to be telecentric.

But why don´t they bend the sensor instead!?
This is effectively what Leica does, with angled microlenses at the edge of the sensor.

02-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #17
Nubi

D FA 100 WR feels very much like the limiteds. In fact I am not sure why they didn't call it that. What is wrong having D FA limiteds??

I do agree though 35 ltds is a classic and it will be considered that in the future. Not that I am interested in sellling it, but it will hold its value, and one day it will go up, I think. All things considered, this may well be the lens that come close to perfection from all points (including cost befit ratio sort of thing).
02-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Just half a stop, I think, and some mm.
Actually 1.8 to 2.4 is a full stop. (Well, slightly less, it goes 1.7, 2, 2.4, but who's counting...)

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A lot depends on what you like to take photos of. I am chasing around kids a lot and what the DA 40 excels in is the fact that is about the fastest focusing Pentax lens that I own.
Good point!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you like to shoot things that are less on the go than children than you may find the DA 35 adequate in every respect.
Yeah, most of the stuff I shoot sits still. Also, this article has sold me on the DA35 as far as quality goes -- it seems a lot better than adequate.
02-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
...this article has sold me on the DA35 ...
Get the 35. You will love it!

Cheers...

02-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
This is effectively what Leica does, with angled microlenses at the edge of the sensor.
The downside to that approach though is that they have to make it a compromise since not all lenses shed light onto the sensor at the same angles... ideally you'd have a telecentric lens lineup but Leica and many others live on the backwards compatibility.
02-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #21

just joining in the DA35 Ltd love-in. Best lens I've ever owned. I could not wish for a better lens.
02-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
just joining in the DA35 Ltd love-in. Best lens I've ever owned. I could not wish for a better lens.
Agreed. Only the DA70 comes close for me.
02-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I have been following this thread for a few days and I have to admit that you all have convinced me. I just ordered my DA35 Ltd from Carmens (via ebay and bing cashback). Hopefully I'll have it in my hands sometime next week.

02-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #24

Congrats...there is very little chance that you'll be disappointed with it! It's one of Pentax's real winners.