Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Micro Macro: A Little Close-up Prime With Big Results"

Popular Photography (March 2010 ed.) on the Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited AF

"Our SQF test results were Excellent, and DxO Analyzer 3.2 tests showed Imperceptible barrel distortion - a superior result, topping Nikon's 35mm f/1.8 macro, for instance."

02-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's an outstanding lens, maybe the most consistent and versatile prime lens I've ever used. It was mentioned in the last issue, too. Good to see their numbers are backing up what DA 35 owners see in their pictures.
02-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
"Our SQF test results were Excellent, and DxO Analyzer 3.2 tests showed Imperceptible barrel distortion - a superior result, topping Nikon's 35mm f/1.8 macro, for instance."
Nice, but the Nikon isn't a macro lens
02-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the 35ltd is the ONLY lense I have ever genuinely regretted letting go of...but I do not regret the lens I received in return...but it was the best lense I ever used for product shots and one of the reasons is the lack of barrel distortion as they mention. But everything about the lense was idea for the things I need shots of...small to medium pieces. Interestingly enough the lense which came the closest was the old now d/c'd Sigma 24-60/2.8...even today I would not be displeased to grab another copy of one. I actually sold my Pentax mount copy once I realized how much I liked the 35ltd....silly me!! d'oh!!

02-15-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can't argue that this is an amazing lens. Shooting macros with this focal length seems easier to hand hold than with a longer one. The sharpness and contrast of this lens make it very special. At the same time, I don't feel like it could replace the DA 40 as a walk around lens (or the FA 35 if I had one).
02-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
At the same time, I don't feel like it could replace the DA 40 as a walk around lens (or the FA 35 if I had one).
Care to elaborate on that? Because with the glowing reviews of the DA35 coupled with the macro capability, I have been considering selling my DA40 and getting this instead. Seems to me the DA40 would be made largely superfluous.
02-15-2010, 05:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you wish to cover macro...

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Care to elaborate on that? Because with the glowing reviews of the DA35 coupled with the macro capability, I have been considering selling my DA40 and getting this instead. Seems to me the DA40 would be made largely superfluous.
I'd keep the 40 and get the D FA 100. Adding the 35 will put you constantly at war with yourself over which (35 v 40... both are soooo delicious) to take on an outing. Beware though, the D FA 100 may just become your favorite lens. While I love the 35 and 40, I find the 100 to be my most used non-urban 'dog walk' lens (otherwise, it's a DA 15).

Cheers...

02-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
I'd keep the 40 and get the D FA 100. Adding the 35 will put you constantly at war with yourself over which (35 v 40... both are soooo delicious) to take on an outing. Beware though, the D FA 100 may just become your favorite lens. While I love the 35 and 40, I find the 100 to be my most used non-urban 'dog walk' lens (otherwise, it's a DA 15).

Cheers...
I appreciate the input, but two things:

1: I love DA Limiteds. Love the build and the size. Would have second thoughts about bringing the larger D FA lens out if I'm not explicitely going out to shoot macro.

2: The 35 is extremely useful and well-corrected not only for macro but for general use. Even at infinity it is exceptionally sharp, and the focal length is arguably even more useful than 40 mm.

Also, I would not really be conflicted because I would probably sell the DA 40 -- I love the lens, but it overlaps with DA 35 in several areas, and the 35 comes out on top in my mind simply for the close focus. On a side note, I would LOVE the DA 15 as well. If I could only have three lenses for my Pentax DSLR, I would go with the DA 15, DA 35, and FA 77, and be pretty much done!
02-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
If I could only have three lenses for my Pentax DSLR, I would go with the DA 15, DA 35, and FA 77, and be pretty much done!
Why the FA77? I have both the FA77 and the DA70 and planning to sell one of them but cant decide which one. They seem to make a very similar result and the DA has less flar. Tryed them on the same motiv and can´t actually se any difference. I like the FA77 pics better though, but I really cant say why. Maybe cause its in so good condition that I cant afford to keep it.
I also bought a used DA35 at a good price and its mostly on the camera. Very useful. It will be interesting to see if I like the pics better now when I know it got such a good result in the lab.
02-15-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrmentera Quote
Why the FA77?
Faster and slightly longer, which makes it more useful as a tele lens in the hypothetical situation that I could only have one.
02-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Bearing in mind that non of the Pentax limiteds (maybe the 31 1.8 is) are not FF compatible whereas the newish primes from Nikon & Canon are.

Is the 55 1.4 FF compatible?

I would hate to spend a lot of money on lovely primes where I couldn't migrate them to FF.

It's about time Pentax started producing lenses that can be used for both formats especially primes.
02-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #12
Forum Member

Faster and slightly longer, which makes it more useful as a tele lens in the hypothetical situation that I could only have one.
Just half a stop, I think, and some mm. Someone said that the DA were sharper up to 2,8 or so. But this is another discussion. I really like the result DA35 does when taking pictures of the childrens play in the sandbox. The cowboys, cars and cities became natural size and you really gets into the playworld. It´s a good thing about photografing. You can do anything and just say that you are doing photografing.
02-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I love the DA35 !! It's the only lens I own for my K7 and I couldn't be happier with it. Landscapes, portraits, close-ups, it's truly a do-it-all lens. It's a pleasure to use and image quality is A+++

I realize most people aren't as minimalist as I am, but a body and a DA 35 really is a versatile and amazing "kit".
02-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Bearing in mind that non of the Pentax limiteds (maybe the 31 1.8 is) are not FF compatible whereas the newish primes from Nikon & Canon are.

Is the 55 1.4 FF compatible?

I would hate to spend a lot of money on lovely primes where I couldn't migrate them to FF.

It's about time Pentax started producing lenses that can be used for both formats especially primes.

The 31mm is a FA-lens. But tha DA aps-c format makes it possible to make them more compact.
The D-FA 100 is one exemple of a new FA-format, but digitally specialized lens. I read somewhere that tha angels the film-FA´s throw the light on the sensor isnt optimal. The strength of DA (or D-FA lenses, I hope) is that the light is more "parallell" on the sensors middle and the edges, or near 90 degrees all over the sensor.
But why don´t they bend the sensor instead!?

Last edited by mrmentera; 02-15-2010 at 08:04 AM.
02-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot depends on what you like to take photos of. I am chasing around kids a lot and what the DA 40 excels in is the fact that is about the fastest focusing Pentax lens that I own. The DA 35 has such a long focus throw that it tends to take a lot longer getting focus. I find when walking around with the 35 that it works better if I manually focus it most of the way and let the camera fine focus it.

If you like to shoot things that are less on the go than children than you may find the DA 35 adequate in every respect.