Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 03:36 AM   #16

Original Poster
In a private message conversation it was suggested that perhaps I don't really need an ultrawide lens in order take pictures of what I want. It was suggested that I post some example photos to show everyone the types of pictures I want to take. So far I've only really used the Kit II lens. Sometimes I use an SMC-M 28 F2.8 (but the metering is horrible. I'm going to try and get an ist focusing screen). I think I may just want a fast semi-wide lens. Like in the 20-30 range. Let me know what you think.

This image was taken at 24mm. Because at the time I was considering the FA* 24mm.

For this image I felt that 18mm was pretty good at getting the kitchen of this little cramped french restaurant.

But I don't quite feel that the same 18mm was able to get the main part of the restaurant. Which is why I initially figured that I needed to get something a little wider.

This also makes me feel the same way. I think I need to just work on composing my images better. I would have liked more on the right.

I do like how 18mm was able to get this shot. But this place was dark so I would have liked to have had a faster lens. The shot came out fine but ISO 800 is pretty high.

This was done at 24mm again. I dream of the FA* 24mm. But again, this shot was taken at ISO 800.

Most of the shots I'm getting are at ISO 800. I know the shots are coming out decent but I would like a faster lens. But perhaps I don't need to get a wide angle like the 14mm. I also probably need to work more on technique. For example trying to compose my images better to get what I want in the frame.

I'm going on a trip in March. I'm going to be taken to a lot of resorts and restaurants. There are also going to be some sake breweries, temples, and snowy landscapes. I would very much like to be able to take some nice pictures of the interiors and landscapes. Would you recommend any lenses for the types of pictures I want to take or would you suggest I just try and work more on technique and use the lenses I have?
M42 28 f3.5, 50 f1.4, 200 f4, Sun 80-210 f4.8 zoom
SMC-M 28 f2.8, 50 f1.4, 135 f3.5
DFA 100 2.8 macro
DA 18-55 II
Do I really need anything else? Is this getting more into technique as opposed to equipment?

02-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I just bought the Tamron 10-24 1:3.5-4.5 and am loving it. The wide angle is brilliant. I must admit I havent taken any night stuff with it though. I am working under tunsten inside. I do use flash......when needed.
See if you can borrow or hire one to try cause it opens up a whole new game!

cheers
Jan

edited to add........you piqued my curiosity so I walked around the house and shot off some stuff. Tungsten handheld no flash going from iso 3200 ( very grainy ) down to iso 200 ( which is very acceptable ) and then I realized I was photographing the bathroom! It had the greatest contrast at this time of night lol. I dont think I will upload them.............

Last edited by janstew; 02-20-2010 at 04:18 AM. Reason: playing!
02-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #18
Banned

I use my 10-24mm Tamron in HDR mode with my K-7 for interior shots and it works very well.
02-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrZeroPing Quote
I do like how 18mm was able to get this shot. But this place was dark so I would have liked to have had a faster lens. The shot came out fine but ISO 800 is pretty high.
The 18-55 does f/3.5 at 18mm. You're not going to find any lens that wide that is more than half a stop better. ISO 800 isn't really particularly high for handheld interior shooting; it's actually low (1600 is common). If for some reason - like maybe you are making large posters - these sorts of ISO levels are unacceptable for the purpose - the solution isn't really a (non-existent) much faster lens - it's a tripod. Or more light (eg, flash).

QuoteQuote:
Do I really need anything else? Is this getting more into technique as opposed to equipment?
It's some of both, I'd say. I'd say some of your 18mm shots do look a bit cramped if you are trying to show the whole restaurant in one shot, so a wider (not necessarily faster) lens would help. On the other hand, simply choosing compositions that show each part of the restaurant separately, instead of trying to take it all in at once, would often be a better choice.