Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #31
Pentaxian
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I hadn't realized the prices had gone up that much. I should have done some checking.
What this points to, though, is a failure on Pentax's part to come up with a decent fast standard lens for the DSLR line.
.

Yes - because even though those exceptional-but-expensive choices exist, there are also lenses like the Nikon 35 1.8G, which is very good, and $199. Pentax really needs an affordable fast d-normal like that, and could benefit from an affordable fast-50 like the $130 Nikon 50 1.8, also.

02-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
the 35 F1.8 for 200 bucks really is a slap in the face to everyone.

i recomended it to my buddy with a nikon, the thing doesnt leave his camera, its a fantastic lens.
02-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #33
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 149
$1k is a bit much. I have all 3 FA LTDs. My favorite lens combo to walk around with is the A20/2.8 which sits on the camera and 43 LTD in my pocket for when I want to tighten things up a bit. To my eye the 20 renders very nicely, similarly to the 43.
02-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #34
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by rover Quote
$1k is a bit much. I have all 3 FA LTDs. My favorite lens combo to walk around with is the A20/2.8 which sits on the camera and 43 LTD in my pocket for when I want to tighten things up a bit. To my eye the 20 renders very nicely, similarly to the 43.
I really should get my A20/2.8 out and use it. My problem with it is that I don't like the field of view that it gives on the DSLR.
I loved it on 35mm.

02-20-2010, 05:05 AM   #35
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I really should get my A20/2.8 out and use it. My problem with it is that I don't like the field of view that it gives on the DSLR.
I loved it on 35mm.
30mm ish FOV grew on me pretty quickly when I started looking at the results from the A 20. It really is an excellent lens. Again I think it renders similarly to the 43, and also the 77. 20/43 is a nice 2 lens combo.

The 31 renders differently, clearer, cleaner, sharper in appearance. I find it to be more modern looking, and also excellent. I am considering the DA 15, making a 15/31/77 3 lens combo.

A 24/2 lens would be a killer prime (if Pentax is looking for ideas please read this).
02-20-2010, 05:32 AM   #36
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,958
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rover Quote
30mm ish FOV grew on me pretty quickly when I started looking at the results from the A 20. It really is an excellent lens. Again I think it renders similarly to the 43, and also the 77. 20/43 is a nice 2 lens combo.

The 31 renders differently, clearer, cleaner, sharper in appearance. I find it to be more modern looking, and also excellent. I am considering the DA 15, making a 15/31/77 3 lens combo.

A 24/2 lens would be a killer prime (if Pentax is looking for ideas please read this).
24/2 is indeed a killer prime. The edge softness with the FA*24/2 is only visible at the extreme edges, so it is sort of like a very sharp 26/2. I love this lens, and thus my fear that the 31 may be too long for me for an outdoor walk around lens.
02-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #37
Veteran Member
dugrant153's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,059
i've thought about going a FA* 24 F/2 and FA 43 route but I think for my preference the FA31 is a good focal length... although I have yet to try that combo to see for sure. All I know is the FA77 Limited is magic and now I want more Limited magic!

Having tried the FA31 briefly for a few minutes, I can definitely say it is a pretty killer lens. at $1k, I'm not too sure on that though.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
fa, k-mount, lens, lenses, limiteds, owners, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens, thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: FA31mm/1.8 Limited (Worldwide) LuzArt Sold Items 2 09-27-2010 12:20 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax FA31mm Limited (Worldwide) kuau Sold Items 0 05-25-2010 09:28 AM
For Sale - Sold: FA31mm 1:1.8 Limited netuser Sold Items 8 12-04-2009 03:05 PM
Request for limited owners and K7 owners Psynema Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 07-09-2009 07:11 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top