Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I appreciate all the very helpful replies. I wish I bought it when I could have had it for ~$700. I enjoy the rendering of my two limiteds and didn't want to miss out on another that could do the same at a very different focal length. But 1k is just too much money for a prime at a focal length I may not even use much, as I am not that much into the normal FOV. My outdoor walk around lens is the FA*24, and I like that focal length very much, was hoping the 31 might do the same for indoors, but the price is just too steep. I am going to wait for now. Thanks!

P.S: In my first post I may not have given enough credit to Pentax's recent lenses. I did mention the DA55, but the DA15 and DA35 are very nice lenses as well.
you pretty much said it all. 1k would had been justified if it is the only lens that you use more than 50% of the time. otherwise, it is nothing more than a luxury.

02-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
I own the DA 35 and the FA 31. I hapened to buy the DA 35 when it was only 379 $. None the less, I ended up spending 1 200 $ on the FA 31. Is it worth it? If you affectionate speed (f1.8 vs f2.8), creamy bokeh and "magic", then yes. What is magic? Everytime I use the FA 31, I feel soooo good. I can't explain this feeling. I might just be narcisic and love the fact that it is one of the best autofocus lens outhere. I might not even be worthy of this legendary lens, but who cares. Using it makes me happy. What else can I say?
if you are looking for speed and magic effect, you are better off with the 50/1.2. for $700-$800 less, you are able to get a lens with 3/4 stop faster and produces a surreal wide open rendering and a perfectly compensated sharpness all throughout the aperture stops. it may not have AF and a wider FOV, but it sure is a much sensible lens to acquire if the price is being considered. for 1,200, the FA31 is not worth it. $700 would be more of an ideal price of the FA31 since the 50/1.2 is only selling for $250-$500 (ave. price $375). I know that the FA31 had been sold cheaper before for only around $700-$800, but I guess the increase in demand and Pentax's aggressive move made it quite out of reach for immediate sell. it's price have open doors for other cheaper and affordable alternatives such as the FA35, DA35, FA43, 28/2.8, 28/3.5, Sigma 30/1.4, DA40, and f2.8 zooms.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 02-18-2010 at 09:39 AM.
02-18-2010, 02:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Just love my FA 31 more and more each time I use it

No other lens brings a smile to my face like this one everytime I mount it on my K-7 I look forward to testing it's limits and then looking at the results it keeps giving back

For me it's worth every cent and I cannot ever see myself selling it.

If however your aim is not a long term investment in quality glass then there are great Pentax options as described in this thread

Neil
02-18-2010, 06:37 AM   #19
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well,
hard to answer this question. Fact is, I got 31(new) & 43(used) combined for less than I would have paid for 31new before price hike if I didn't get lucky.
Would I pay over 1k for lens? No! Is it worth it's price tag?
There's no easy answer to it IMO. Why?
- If you like rendering of 43 (and I know you do), especially sub f5.6, you'll like 31 for sure.
- it's not as sharp as 43 wide open but, perfectly usable IMO.
- the CAs wide open are more of an issue than PF IMO, and that cann get annoying. DA lenses aree better in this respect IMO.
- 31 is often capable of filling in for 24 IMO (I have K24 and 31 and I findd it hard to get shot with 24 which I wouldn't with 31)
- it's excellent indoors and people lens, especialy when those two combinned
- it's VERY cropable
- it's rendering is just... I don't know, I can't describe it but at f4 or wider the images have certain kind of look to them, that I find nearly impossible to replicate with other lenses.

frankly, having 31 is the only reason for me wanting digital FF. I would really love to see what this beauty can do on FF!
Until than it'll be my standard lens and it's ddoing that duty extremely well!

BR
Peter

02-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

My 2 cents:

- I would not buy the FA31mm for $1k.
- I would not sell my FA31mm for $1k.

Kind of a contradictory position, but money doesn't come easily. On the other hand, I got my copy second hand before the price hike and it's my favourite lens. Wouldn't sell it for anything. It has an awesome build quality, sharp as a tack, great colour rendition and the perfect focal length.
02-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Let's look at the price of lenses from competitors that are similar to the FA31 according to B&H:

Zeiss Distagon T* 35 f/2 (manual focus) = $948
Pentax FA31 f/1.8 = $964
Nikon 35 f/1.4 AIS (manual focus) = $1,000
Canon 35 f/1.4L = $1,370
Sony 35 f/1.4G = $1,370
Nikon 28 f/1.4 = you don't want to know

Really what this shows is that the FA31 is priced just about right in a group that is unfortunately a little bit too expensive for most people to buy into. So if you were to ask is the FA31 worth this price based on its quality, I would say yes. However, you should probably only buy a new lens from the above listed if you're going to use it a helluva lot during its lifetime.

Axl noted something interesting about FA31 and full frame -- I 100 percent agree with him that my only desire for Pentax full frame has come from the existence of this lens and the wish that the FA43 could once again be the wide, tiny normal it was meant to be. It's also interesting that (this is just my guess) most of those lenses on the list above are bought by photographers who want and are able to use them on full frame cameras.

The reason this factors in? Based on tradition, $1,000 is a pretty outlandish price for a f/1.8 standard lens. But for a good wide angle lens at that price? Now that's a little more reasonable.
02-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Let's look at the price of lenses from competitors that are similar to the FA31 according to B&H:

Pentax FA31 f/1.8 = $964
Canon 35 f/1.4L = $1,370
Sony 35 f/1.4G = $1,370

Really what this shows is that the FA31 is priced just about right in a group that is unfortunately a little bit too expensive for most people to buy into. So if you were to ask is the FA31 worth this price based on its quality, I would say yes. However, you should probably only buy a new lens from the above listed if you're going to use it a helluva lot during its lifetime.

Axl noted something interesting about FA31 and full frame -- I 100 percent agree with him that my only desire for Pentax full frame has come from the existence of this lens and the wish that the FA43 could once again be the wide, tiny normal it was meant to be. It's also interesting that (this is just my guess) most of those lenses on the list above are bought by photographers who want and are able to use them on full frame cameras.

The reason this factors in? Based on tradition, $1,000 is a pretty outlandish price for a f/1.8 standard lens. But for a good wide angle lens at that price? Now that's a little more reasonable.

Good points.

02-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
JSHERMAN999 is objective.

I use the 31mm for work and It's also the lens of my favorite images.

For landscape and portraits it's excellent with absolutely no visible distortion and a great resolution. I use the 35mm K also and even if it's an excellent lens with great resolution. The 31mm can do anything I want.

On a film camera it's so much better and It allows contrast, great shadow details and resolution.
It's also a unique angle of view.

It's different, it's excellent,... If you have the money, you like wide angle and you are serious (even selling fine pictures sometimes). Give you pleasure...
02-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Extremely helpful insights. I do appreciate that little extra magic I see with my FA limiteds, and the few who mention this of the FA31 as well, is tempting me to pull the trigger. With a FF this would indeed be a no brainer, but, for now I am going to wait till I see one for a decent price. I am working on a possible deal, thanks to a PF member.
02-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #25
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes - it is worth $1k to me! I use it a lot in low light / no flash allowed situations.
02-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #26
Nubi

I have FA 31 and used to have 77. I have a DA 70 ltd, and while it is not as fast, I find 70 ltd just as good as 77 iin almost any situation. So I got rid of it. I thought I would have a remorse, but no. On the other hand, FA 31 I will not get rid of even though I love my DA 35 ltd macro and DA 40 ltd very much. Dollar for dollar, I think 31mm offers more than 77, at least for me anyway.
02-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #27
Veteran Member

when Pentax or someone will start selling it for $700, that will be the day that I will sell my FA35 and buy the FA31. and yes, I will sell it for only $300, unless the demands for it increases due to "real" shortage or extreme rarity, but not more than $400.
02-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
when Pentax or someone will start selling it for $700, that will be the day that I will sell my FA35 and buy the FA31. and yes, I will sell it for only $300, unless the demands for it increases due to "real" shortage or extreme rarity, but not more than $400.
$300, p.m. me when you do

I sold mine for $400. I bought it for $375 a few weeks ago, and wanted to sell it only if I didn't lose much. After paypal fee and shipping I got a little less than $375, so didn't lose much.
02-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote

Pentax FA31 f/1.8 = $964
Canon 35 f/1.4L = $1,370
Sony 35 f/1.4G = $1,370

I hadn't realized the prices had gone up that much. I should have done some checking.
What this points to, though, is a failure on Pentax's part to come up with a decent fast standard lens for the DSLR line.
02-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
$300, p.m. me when you do

I sold mine for $400. I bought it for $375 a few weeks ago, and wanted to sell it only if I didn't lose much. After paypal fee and shipping I got a little less than $375, so didn't lose much.
missing it already?