Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have been thinking about one of these Mirror lens for my Pentax K10D and KM bodies.

They don't seem to be readily available in Canada, so if I did buy one I would probably get this make of lens, from Adorama as I've read positive reviews about Adorama.

Here's an example of the type of lens that I'm considering.

50063PK Pro-Optic 500 f/6.3 Mirror Lens for Pentax K SLR Cameras
Adorama is good, the Pro-Optic lens, not so much (or so I have read). But, I have one on the way for fun. Most reviews of it are not favorable, but it is less than half the cost of any other lens I have, and signifcantly longer than my 55-300. I'm hoping the QC will be off in the good direction :-)

Should arrive next week via the slow boat. (There was nothing else photographic I wanted for the same price, except maybe a different 3rd-string P&S)....

I'm thinking of stuff like B/W surfer shots and other abstract things.

Oh, the thing is Canon white, so I will like have to paint it, as well as devise some type of lens hood held on with rubber bands.

I had a Sigma 600/8 in the old days that I liked pretty much. It was in the $379 range, I think.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-03-2010 at 08:01 PM.
03-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #17
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've featured a number of images on the Mirror Lens Club and can vouch for the Tamron 500mm f/8 55BB mirror lens. Sharp and decently contrasty, it's impressive for a mirror, but certainly needs PP to bring out the best in the results.
03-05-2010, 02:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

long and longer

My longest FL lenses (eBay prices include shipping) with their weight:

* Spiratone 400/6.3, M42 (US$15) 770g
* Sakar MC Mirror 500/8, PK (US$13) 420g
* Rubinar MC Mirror Macro 1000/10, M42 (US$225) 1760g
-- and --
* Lil'Bigma 170-500/5-6.3, KAF (way too much $$) 1270g

The Rubinar needs a mount extension to fit under the K20D's flash bump, so now it's more of a 1200/12 mirror makpo (Russki for macro). Macro. Right. Well, both mirror lens have a near focus of 1.5m, 5 feet. That's closer than the Spiratone (7m) and the Lil'Bigma (3m).

The optical Spiratone and the Rubinar mirror generally need tripods, even in bright daylight, mostly because they look pretty threatening when hand-held. Or I'll use a shoulder-stock mount, but not when armed people are around. The Lil'Bigma is a beast also, but it's AF and the bokeh is nice.

Ah, the Sakar 500/8, made in Japan, light and cheap. Know when and where and how to use it, know what backgrounds to avoid, just learn its limitations. It is pretty inconspicuous -- subjects 10-20 yards away don't know they're being shot. Not as good on a bellows as the Spiratone 400, which I use for close-ups of rattlesnakes etc from a safe distance. The Sakar is another lens that's always in my big camera bag, and often contending with my FA 100-300 for a place in my smaller lighter bag. I like it. I use it. The best lens is the one you use.

NOTE: Distant vistas shot with long lenses get blurry, the light whipped around by warm/hot air. That's good if you want to isolate a closer subject, bad if you want those distant vistas. Shooting nude beaches from clifftops on hot days can be disappointing. You have been warned.

Oh, just to compare weights with the above:

* DA 18-55, 250g
* DA 18-250, 450g
* FA 100-300, 380g

So the Sakar is lighter than my DA 18-250 walkaround. Nice.

Last edited by RioRico; 03-05-2010 at 02:47 AM.
03-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aka Quote
If the auto-focus is back-focusing, so ALSO will be the focus- confirmation dot; it is the same mechanism. You are of course correct that a thin DOF really highlights any backfocusing issue (which was my point); it was also super apparent with my manual pentax 50mm f1.4 at large apertures. I've adjusted the back focus through the firmware and am pretty happy with the results. Having the focus confirmation spot on makes this lens a lot more useful.
Out of curiosity, what was your adjustment process/procedure?

03-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #20
aka

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Out of curiosity, what was your adjustment process/procedure?
For a k10d:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/26961-k10d-gx10-1-30-f...ctivation.html

Briefly, I attached a high contrast target to a 1" high block that I set on a table with a "ruler" and shot perpendicular to the target at 1-3 meters. I aimed to have the focused area on the ruler about 30% in front of the target and 70% behind, while approaching the focus from the front. I started with a tamron autofocus lens then dialed in the focus confirm for my manual 50mm f1.4 then eventually made some smaller changes to dial in the telephoto lenses (not using the aforementioned target though). I left it in debug mode for probably a week or so playing with it.
Keep in mind, a lot of how you adjust it is to personal preference: eg, do you want the light to come on at the middle of the DOF or front.
Also, pentax autofocus is a bit off under tungsten so you should do this in daylight.

Last edited by aka; 03-06-2010 at 09:13 PM.
03-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #21

Was reading through this thread and a thought occurred to me - I have a 500mm/f8 mirror lens on my film SLR (a Minolta MD mount) that uses a T2 adaptor so I can mount it on the camera body.

Does this mean I can get a T - Pentax K mount and use that 500m lens on my *ist DL?

Sorry for hijacking the thread!
03-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Yes, with the right T mount adaptor it will work on any SLR or DSLR.
03-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Tamron 500mm 55BB f8, Tamron 500mm 55B f8, Tokina 500mm f8 and Sigma 600mm f8 offer the best IQ (in that order)
Totally agree. I have the most recent Tamron the BB series and it is awesome.