Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Vivitar 55mm f1.4 = Cosina = Tomioka?

Just acquired a Vivitar 55mm f1.4 M42 mount and the serial number starts with 94xxxxxx so I guess it's made by Cosina and probably a Tomioka designed/built lens.

Anyone has any information on that particular Vivitar?

02-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,838
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Just acquired a Vivitar 55mm f1.4 M42 mount and the serial number starts with 94xxxxxx so I guess it's made by Cosina and probably a Tomioka designed/built lens.

Anyone has any information on that particular Vivitar?
If it's the auction I was bidding on, that particular Vivitar needs a really good cleaning. Try a toothbrush and Windex. Sorry for making you pay a bit more.

I think one of the features of the Tomioka is a really flat rear element. Again if this is the auction I saw, the photos make it hard to tell the rear element shape.
02-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,624
The 9 would indicate Cosina and the 4 probably indicates it was made in 1984. (I don't remember Vivitar marketing cameras with 55mm kit lenses in 1974, though they definitely were in the game in 1984.) As for Tomioka build/design...probably not. By the early 1980s, Tomioka was part of Kyocera and was making high quality Japanese Zeiss (Contax) and Yashica lenses. The current relationship between Cosina and Zeiss did not exist at that time.

The Vivitar cameras made in the early 1980s were made by Cosina to Vivitar specifications, though it may be that the kit lens is a Cosina rather than a Vivitar design.

Steve
02-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
If it's the auction I was bidding on, that particular Vivitar needs a really good cleaning. Try a toothbrush and Windex. Sorry for making you pay a bit more.
Ah it was you!! The price spiked from $26 to $38 during the last 2 seconds of the auction but the most important is I won the auction to add one more f1.4 lens to my collection. I concur that the lens needs major cleaning and hopefully the glasses are intact.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The 9 would indicate Cosina and the 4 probably indicates it was made in 1984. (I don't remember Vivitar marketing cameras with 55mm kit lenses in 1974, though they definitely were in the game in 1984.) As for Tomioka build/design...probably not. By the early 1980s, Tomioka was part of Kyocera and was making high quality Japanese Zeiss (Contax) and Yashica lenses. The current relationship between Cosina and Zeiss did not exist at that time.

The Vivitar cameras made in the early 1980s were made by Cosina to Vivitar specifications, though it may be that the kit lens is a Cosina rather than a Vivitar design.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. I'll take it out for a spin once it arrives!

02-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,838
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Ah it was you!! The price spiked from $26 to $38 during the last 2 seconds of the auction but the most important is I won the auction to add one more f1.4 lens to my collection. I concur that the lens needs major cleaning and hopefully the glasses are intact.
I cost you 83 cents. I would have gone higher but I have these two:



These 3 lenses look a lot different, but share some similarities. The minimum focus distance is the same. They also have grub screws just above the mount and below the aperture ring. I think you could loosen those and maybe have access to the part with the scratched-off SSN. It would look a lot better if that part was smooth and black.
02-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,624
So, would either one of you like to post a link to the auction? I am curious about this lens. I made the assumption that it was probably of later build (1984), but it occurred to me that a pre-1970 date is not entirely out of the question. If so, the serial number is meaningless to determine the actual maker and Tomioka would be a reasonable suspect.

Steve
02-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,838
NICE Vivitar VMC 55mm 1:1.4 M42 Screw Mount Prime Lens - eBay (item 180468118580 end time Feb-17-10 16:01:43 PST)
02-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,624
Thanks Dave. Wow! That is one rough looking lens. The VMC tells me that this is not an early lens. So Cosina it would be.

Steve

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
55mm, cosina, f1.4, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, vivitar
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cosina 55mm 1:1.2 club konraDarnok Lens Clubs 528 01-02-2017 08:34 PM
For Sale - Sold: Tomioka 55mm F1.2 M42 awo425 Sold Items 7 06-10-2010 11:07 AM
For Sale - Sold: Cosina 55mm 1:1.2 DaddyLuna Sold Items 5 06-18-2009 05:22 PM
Cosina 55mm f1.2 kibipod Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 12-13-2008 08:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top