Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I like the second one...

but it does seem every reporter in the world use it as the backdrop for their LIVE shot?

How close can you actually get to it? Is this going to be a permanent art piece in Vancouver when the games are over?
thanks Gus, the 2nd one was shot at 24mm. I shot it at 12mm to see how wide the FOV is from where I was standing.

it does appear to be a regular fixture. from my estimate, it is somewhat around 25-35 meters away. I was on an elevated platform that was opened to the public but there is a long line-up that would take you hours before you get your turn. I was fortunate to have immediate access, just too bad I had to share it with other people as well, so I can't do my thing.

I think that they would make it a permanent fixture. after all, we still got the remnants of the 80's expo.

my only comments about the cauldron is that it is still surrounded by chicken wire up front which blocks any wide shot taken from afar. other than that, any wide lens would work perfectly well when you shot it at the fence. there is a small gap where you could fit in your camera. but you have to contend yourself with throngs of people jocking up for position near it. it's fun but can be annoying as well.

02-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Thanks, Gus. One last question on this; can you pick any picture from above and give me an idea how far you were from the subject?
02-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #18
Igilligan

Hi Winnie and Pentaxor

Winnie the Sony M3358 has a focus distance of around 10-11 inches... the Raynox 250 is around 4-5 inches...

I am not exactly sure what the Raynox 150 is but I would guess closer to the Sony... Hopefully Mike or one of the 150 devotees can say.

All of the ones above are about 10 inches from the subject flower.

That is the one thing that is limiting about the macro filters is that they essentially have a set focus distance.

Pentaxor - Hopefully when the Olys are over you will have a clear shot at the Cauldron... Maybe some un-obstructed night shots...
02-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Winnie the Sony M3358 has a focus distance of around 10-11 inches... the Raynox 250 is around 4-5 inches...

I am not exactly sure what the Raynox 150 is but I would guess closer to the Sony... Hopefully Mike or one of the 150 devotees can say.

All of the ones above are about 10 inches from the subject flower.

That is the one thing that is limiting about the macro filters is that they essentially have a set focus distance.

Pentaxor - Hopefully when the Olys are over you will have a clear shot at the Cauldron... Maybe some un-obstructed night shots...
I hope so, Gus. although I'm not certain if they would keep the cauldron's flames burning after the olympics, even on occasion. a cauldron is not a cauldron if it doesn't have flames on it. I would love to shoot it with longer exposure. that would just be great.

03-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

The Raynox 150 focal length is 8.3 inches if you use infinity focus on the main lens.
03-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The Raynox 150 focal length is 8.3 inches if you use infinity focus on the main lens.
that's not bad.