Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Igilligan

DAL 55-300mm as close-up / macro lens

Thought since the 55-300 had a 58mm thread, I would try my old Sony M3358 macro filter. It is similar I believe to the Raynox 150 in strength.
I used Live View MF on the first flower shots. The last three were thru the viewfinder.

For the butterfly, I was actually shooting one of the little white flowers and my youngest said... "hey papa there is a butterfly right above you" I looked up and had just a second to try and shoot it, so I missed focus on the first, then it flew and came back to the flower for a second and I snapped the other one. If I had had the raynox on I could have just unclipped the macro lens and moved back away and probably got more shots with the 300mm end.

02-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice Gus, I love the colours.
02-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
Igilligan

Thanks Dan

I am diggin' the colors on these too...

I have read with interest some comments in other threads that some feel there seems to be a difference in the colors between the K20/K7 and this K-x.

I can feel that sometimes. The K-x feels cooler than my K20. There is a warmth to the K20 that I like a lot. My guess is we could dial the K-x into a warmer feel, but for right now I enjoy playing with it as it is.

I dont remember ever seeing that type of butterfly before, and it happened so fast. Hopefully I will see him again.
02-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Amazing photos!! I wouldn't have thought you could get that much sharpness from an inexpensive lens.

02-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Gus, these look spectacular - the 4th one looks like 3-D. I gotta bunch of old filters in the closet; I'll look through 'em and see if a 58 mm macro is among them - if so, I'll try the same thing with my 55-300, with which I'm quite impressed anyway, given its price.

Jer
02-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

outstanding results Gus. and I believe it would do well at the 300mm end as well. the shallow DOF is kinda tricky though with the diopter lens.
02-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Igilligan

Thanks Beta P and Jer

Just looked at these again and I think I am liking my little old Kx even more right now.

Jer when that 4th one popped up on the computer screen, I almost felt like I could reach out and grab those green leaves... not bad for a macro filter on a "kit" lens...

02-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Just looked at these again and I think I am liking my little old Kx even more right now.

Jer when that 4th one popped up on the computer screen, I almost felt like I could reach out and grab those green leaves... not bad for a macro filter on a "kit" lens...
correction, it's not a kit lens. it's above the 50-200.

anyway, I think everyone would agree that the high point of this particular lens is it's colours. what I noticed about it is it's vibrancy or vividness.
02-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
correction, it's not a kit lens. it's above the 50-200.

anyway, I think everyone would agree that the high point of this particular lens is it's colours. what I noticed about it is it's vibrancy or vividness.

I do like the colors I get with this lens, unfortunately for me I has been overcast almost since I got it... finally had a couple days of sun, but it has covered over again.

And I thought all of the DAL lenses were kit lenses. I did not know you could buy them outside of a combo kit. My mistake... (and it is my first one ever on this forum)

But you are right, it is above the 50-200 by about 100mm
02-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I do like the colors I get with this lens, unfortunately for me I has been overcast almost since I got it... finally had a couple days of sun, but it has covered over again.

And I thought all of the DAL lenses were kit lenses. I did not know you could buy them outside of a combo kit. My mistake... (and it is my first one ever on this forum)

But you are right, it is above the 50-200 by about 100mm
overcast can really be a pain, especially here. you need to tag along some good lighting equipment to get some really good stuff, but you just can't do that when you are just there for a casual walk-around. on a normal sunny day, it sure can do some serious damage. and yeah, I never had to go past ISO100. what a treat.

anyway, gonna shoot the cauldron tomorrow, but I'm going to bring the Da12-24 instead. although I had some shots of it taken by the 55-300. maybe I'll post it a bit later.
02-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
Igilligan

Did you shoot the Cauldron???

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
overcast can really be a pain, especially here. you need to tag along some good lighting equipment to get some really good stuff, but you just can't do that when you are just there for a casual walk-around. on a normal sunny day, it sure can do some serious damage. and yeah, I never had to go past ISO100. what a treat.

anyway, gonna shoot the cauldron tomorrow, but I'm going to bring the Da12-24 instead. although I had some shots of it taken by the 55-300. maybe I'll post it a bit later.
I have been waiting to see the photos... Love the see the cauldron with the 12-24
02-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
Inactive Account

[newbie] I'm sorry, what exactly did you do again to get these shots? Because that's awesome that we can do that with a non-macro lens. [/newbie]
02-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Igilligan

Winnie, the Sony M3358 is a macro lens filter that screws on the filter threads of the 55-300. I costs 50-60 dollars. It is close in magnification to a Raynox 150 which is cheaper and a little easier to use as it just clips onto front of the lens. The Raynox 250 has more magnification, but less DOF and closer focus distance.

The Sony M3358 and canon 250 or 500s are all very good threaded versions.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/311512-REG/Sony_VCLM3358_VCL_M3358_58mm_Close_Up.html

If you decide to go for one to play with macro on your 55-300, I would recommend the Raynox 150

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Raynox+150&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
02-22-2010, 12:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have been waiting to see the photos... Love the see the cauldron with the 12-24
here are some samples gus. sorry for the angle. can't get a decent shot with all the people around you blocking the view and some reporters cluttering the area. there is just no way of finding a nice area unless you had to butt in or disperse the crowd.

I had to go back and redo some shots again, but I think it would be impossible to get something pretty nice. there's just a lot of people. it's total mayhem all over Vancouver.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
02-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
Igilligan

I like the second one...

but it does seem every reporter in the world use it as the backdrop for their LIVE shot?

How close can you actually get to it? Is this going to be a permanent art piece in Vancouver when the games are over?