Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No more Bigma????

I have been trying for weeks to get a bigma through on-line stores with no luck. Finally a store that I called said that they had one and I ordered it. They called back and said that their warehouse was out and they were waiting for a shipment from Sigma, so I cancelled and kept looking. Finally after calling EVERY major and minor internet store, I called Sigma in Ronconkoma (?), NY. The lady I talked to said that the bigma for Pentax hadn't shipped out from the factory in Japan since last September and the NiCanon mounts hadn't shipped since November. I flat out asked, "If I order one from a dealer on a waiting list, will I eventually get the lens?"

She said no. Sigma has no plans to manufacture the Bigma in the near future. Shouldn't we have heard about this in a press release or something?

Don't trust the internet sites that show an inventory on this lens. Call first They will keep you hanging on for a fictional "future shipment" that will probably never arrive.

This my experience, I am only reporting what was told to me and what I went through. I could have misunderstood, but honestly I don't think so.

02-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm a bit confused. When you say Bigma I'm assuming your talking about Sigma's super telephoto zoom range for Pentax, Nikon, Canon in the 50-500 and 150-500 and the something to 800 range.

Do you know if Sigma stopped production or just stopped shipping on all their super telephoto zooms?

Will they resume shipping on these or is everything up in the air at this point ?

Thanks for the post though. I'm interested in this topic as I wouldn't mind having a Pentax mount lens for a Bigma.
02-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All I know is that the Sigma rep I talked to said they are not expecting any shipments of the 50-500mm.
02-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
I have been trying for weeks to get a bigma through on-line stores with no luck.
I have one for sale here, in case you would consider buying used.

Way back in August 2009 when I got mine, it was a bit difficult to find one. Even then, the Amazon listing showed the Pentax version with "HSM" auto-focus, which is certainly not the case. That [inaccurate specs and lack of any price] probably implies that Amazon never sold very many of them in Pentax mount.

It's a shame, because the lens does fill a need in Pentax-mount tele-zooms.

02-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm a bit confused. When you say Bigma I'm assuming your talking about Sigma's super telephoto zoom range for Pentax, Nikon, Canon in the 50-500 and 150-500 and the something to 800 range.

Do you know if Sigma stopped production or just stopped shipping on all their super telephoto zooms?

Will they resume shipping on these or is everything up in the air at this point ?

Thanks for the post though. I'm interested in this topic as I wouldn't mind having a Pentax mount lens for a Bigma.
Les,

Yes, the Bigma refers to the Sigma 50-500mm lens. I've heard the 150-500mm refered to as the Bigma Jr. The last correspondance I had with Sigma they said there were no plans to build an HSM Bigma for Pentax but there was no indication that they were ceasing production of the lens entirely. Hope thats not the case since this lens fills a big hole and is loved by many of us.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 02-18-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: damned typos
02-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is a shame. I always thought that was a pretty amazing lens.
02-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Les,

Yes, the Bigma refers to the Sigma 50-500mm lens. I've heard the 150-500mm refered to as the Bigma Jr. The last correspondance I had with Sigma they said there were no plans to build an HSM Bigma for Pentax but there was no indication that they were ceasing production of the lens entirely. Hope thats not the case since this lens fills a big hole and is loved by many of us.

Mike
In Canon-land, we call the 150-500 the "Bigmos" :-)

02-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, but after all the frustration, I ordered the 150-500 yesterday and it will arrive today.
02-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Les,

Mike
As far as I know, the Bigma never was HSM in Pentax fit although it is in other mounts. The 150-500 is HSM in Pentax fit and very good it is too.
02-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Les,

Mike
I'm not sure why they call it the Bigma Jr as it is longer and heavier and has the HSM super quiet focus.......
02-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I'm not sure why they call it the Bigma Jr as it is longer and heavier and has the HSM super quiet focus.......
That's why "Bigmos" is a better nickname...The "os" is for its optical stabilization

Canon folks really like this lens, and it's a great alternative to the more expensive Canon 100-400mm L. I happen to have the 100-400L, but came close to buying the Sigma.
02-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #12

Thanks, but after all the frustration, I ordered the 150-500 yesterday and it will arrive today.
I'm planning on buying one of those. Please post some pictures and your opinion on the lens and the OS system. thanks
02-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll get some photos out soon, but the OS system doesn't exist in the Pentax mount. The in-camera Shake Reduction of the Pentax systems negates the need for the in-lens system.
02-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #14

oh I thought it had the OS. Looking forward for some pics! thanks
02-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
oh I thought it had the OS. Looking forward for some pics! thanks
If you are interested, some of mine with the 150-500 here and here.