Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
The 21mm/40mm combination is tempting, covering slightly-wider-than-classically-wide and slightly-longer-then-classically-standard focal lengths. I personally shoot a lot at around 30mm, standard length, although I use all the focal lengths of my 24-60 a bit. Most of my street stuff isn't 'snap' type stuff, some is, but mostly it's setting up a geometrically pleasing composition and observing people in it.

The 21mm would certainly be a great 'snap' lens and make you get close, the 24-60 is quite noticeable and often does the little AF hunt like the 31mm might do, which can be pretty annoying.

Considering the 21 and 40 together are still cheaper than the 31mm, they're a tempting combination. As I said before, it's really a toss up between speed and size. The IQ of the DA limiteds sound just fine, even if they don't match the 31mm. I'd love f/1.8, but it's not a deal breaker. As I'm going for unobtrusiveness, I really need fast AF, any hunting can mean a missed shot (although it's interesting to read that maybe the 40mm isn't the most accurate AF lens).

Cool!!

would love to see some of your street work!

"snap" does not mean that you do not think about composition or subject by the way . it just means that I better have a camera in my hand then not have one.
I would take the canon G-10 in my pocket over a K20D plus 31mm left at home

what lenses are you using now ? film or digital?

02-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 21mm/40mm combination is tempting, covering slightly-wider-than-classically-wide and slightly-longer-then-classically-standard focal lengths. I personally shoot a lot at around 30mm, standard length, although I use all the focal lengths of my 24-60 a bit. Most of my street stuff isn't 'snap' type stuff, some is, but mostly it's setting up a geometrically pleasing composition and observing people in it.

The 21mm would certainly be a great 'snap' lens and make you get close, the 24-60 is quite noticeable and often does the little AF hunt like the 31mm might do, which can be pretty annoying.

Considering the 21 and 40 together are still cheaper than the 31mm, they're a tempting combination. As I said before, it's really a toss up between speed and size. The IQ of the DA limiteds sound just fine, even if they don't match the 31mm. I'd love f/1.8, but it's not a deal breaker. As I'm going for unobtrusiveness, I really need fast AF, any hunting can mean a missed shot (although it's interesting to read that maybe the 40mm isn't the most accurate AF lens).
If you get the DA21 and the FA43, then you also have the speed. The 43 is a tiny lens as well.
02-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
Cool!!

would love to see some of your street work!

"snap" does not mean that you do not think about composition or subject by the way . it just means that I better have a camera in my hand then not have one.
I would take the canon G-10 in my pocket over a K20D plus 31mm left at home

what lenses are you using now ? film or digital?
Hi Redpigeons, its certainly better having any camera than no camera. No point in being so precious over your gear or having it too heavy or immobile that you don't want to take it out!

I put some of my stuff from a recent trip here, about half of which is street stuff: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/84318-travel-three-weeks...east-asia.html

I'm using digital only (K10D) with a Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 99% of the time.

Plan is to update in the next couple of weeks to the K-7. Seems great as far as DSLR's go for street - small, quiet shutter, hardy. Decent AF and higher ISO. Then a Sigma 10-20 f/3.5, and the 21mm and 40mm or 21mm and 43mm or the 31mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
If you get the DA21 and the FA43, then you also have the speed. The 43 is a tiny lens as well.
Have certainly considered it (and still am). How do you find the AF speed? Compared to say, your DA 21mm or the DA 40mm if you've used it.
02-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #19
axl
Veteran Member

Have certainly considered it (and still am). How do you find the AF speed? Compared to say, your DA 21mm or the DA 40mm if you've used it.
There isn't big difference between 40 and 43. Though 43 is slower. But on the streets it's fast enough, and spot on.
At least from my personal experience.

BR
Peter

02-19-2010, 04:16 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I personally would try to get at least one of the "legendary" lenses like the FA 43 or the FA 31 for their "rendering magic". And who knows perhaps someday one may exploit that they are FF lenses.

However, I can imagine that their qualities are less relevant for street photography and that size, weather resistance, and focusing speed are more important. I reckon that nowadays a lot of the "rendering magic" can be emulated in PP, if one really wanted to.
02-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems the compromises make the choices harder for you, CW.
Speed (& higher price) vs. size (& lower price).
Either way you can't go wrong, though - they're both (21, 40 and the 31, 43) good combinations of lenses in anyone's language - only if you can see yourself needing something as fast as f/2 would you really have to go with the FA rather than the DA limiteds...
02-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Hi Redpigeons, its certainly better having any camera than no camera. No point in being so precious over your gear or having it too heavy or immobile that you don't want to take it out!

I put some of my stuff from a recent trip here, about half of which is street stuff: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/84318-travel-three-weeks...east-asia.html

I'm using digital only (K10D) with a Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 99% of the time.

Wow!!!!! I want what you have !! Talent

02-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks very much red pigeons. I found the possibilities for street photography amazing, especially in Hanoi. There is so much going on, people don't worry about your camera too much, and there are always visually interesting scenes and people.

Really, I think I'm going with the 21mm and either the 40 or 43. Now the price difference between those two I can handle. While the 43 sound slike it has some CA issues, they don't sound too bad, and the speed is obviously an advantage for the 43. If it's slightly slower to AF that's OK, but I'm a bit worried about this comment about AF on the 43 from a review (sorry can't link it just closed it): "But boy, that thing is loud! As the lens elements rotate back and forth, the lens makes a high pitched whirling sound, which changes to a loud cracking as the camera's AF suddenly changes the direction of the rotation as it zones in on the focusing range".
ANy 43 owners find this? Not a great thing for street - especially for a lens you buy for being small and relatively inconspicuous.
02-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #24
axl
Veteran Member

I haven't noticed any whirling or cracking on my 43. I believe it was user's defective lens.

BR
Peter
02-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Axl, that's interesting. Is your 43mm any louder than any other screw-drive lens?
02-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Hi Axl, that's interesting. Is your 43mm any louder than any other screw-drive lens?
Once I was walking with my K-7 with my finger on the shutter release and I accidently set off the AF mechanism on the FA 43. I kid you not, but the whirl of the lens moving back and forth trying to lock focus startled me! I never noticed it before because I never had it hunt to focus. Having said that, it is my favorite of the three FA limited lenses in terms of rendering and focal length.
02-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

In real life shooting I never noticed any difference between my lenses except the F135/2.8 which is noisier than others. After reading this I tried my FA43 on a non-contrasty wall, and compared it to my other lenses.

I am surprised that my DA15 and DA21 are less noisy. The FA77 and FA43 are both the same and a bit nosier than the DA's but not too loud. The FA*24 and the F135/2.8 has this loud thud noise at each end when it hits the limit, and the screw drive is more noisy as well.

The guy who described the 43 AF as all that must have had a defective unit, but the DA limteds are less noisy.
02-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

From my observations, the FA43 is a little bit louder than the other limiteds, but in actual use I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

For instance, I was between 5 to 10 feet away from these people during a meeting I was covering, and they didn't look up when I focused with the FA43.

Now if you're trying to stay inconspicuous somewhere quiet, I don't know, maybe that would change things.
02-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

how do you find a zoom lens for street?

I never even used a zoom lens, I had a K1000 with a 50mm for a long time

and then I just kept buying prime lenses for my need but there are so many situation I wished I had a zoom

I want the 21mm so much...
But I do have the FA 20mm , and no zoom lenses so I might finally get a zoom

maybe that sigma you are using
02-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #30
Inactive Account

I bought the FA31 and used it for a week. It is a beautifully sharp and outstanding lens. I couldn't get over the bulk and unremovable lens shade, however. I was put off by it, so I exchanged it for a DA15 and FA43 which totaled about $100 US over the 31 price. I'm looking forward to returning home where they await me.
I naturally did not use it in the rain, but had I not been considering an exchange, I wouldn't have worried at all about doing so. Tremendous build quality.
Cheers