Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Landscape lens recommendation.

Well I am in a bit of a predicament.

I am covered in the range from 17-200mm range. but LBA has begun showing its Wonderful (or is it ugly) face.

The range has been narrowed to somewhere between the 20-40 mm range. It could be primes or zooms as landscapes is my main priority.

I have been looking at the following lenses:
Primes:
1) FA24 (impossible to find)
2) FA20 (same story)
3) Sigma 20EX
4) Sigma 24EX
5) FA35 (hard to find as well and might be too tele for a prime to me)

Zooms:
1) Pentax 20-30
2) Sigma 20-40

What to do, what have I forgotten, what would you recommend?

THe FA24 would be my dream but I am not exactly optimistic about finding it.

Advise is greatly appreciated

11-25-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
clm

K 24 I have one and like it a lot. A 24 is the same optically.
11-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how about the Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL IF?
It seems like a good range for landscapes, but I can't seem to find any reviews on it.
maybe others on this forum might have one.

good luck

randy
11-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Inactive Account

How adout DA 21 limited? I have seen some excellent results from this little gem!

11-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Fa31/1.8 ltd is a great fantastic lens (you still can get it from bhphoto with rebates). Joel has fa35/2 and we did our comparison in terms of sharpness. Hard to tell any difference! But when fa31/1.8 was used for protrait, it gave the dreamy touch to all the subject's face with mirage effect. It is beautifully contructed, and mine is silver coloured. A gem!

Da21/3.2 is a great one with fantastic colour (so so bokeh though). It is sharp wide open (thought not bright enough) and it is light to carry. I had seen it first hand what it can do. This is Joele's photo from Da21/3.2

Da14/2.8 is fantastic but maybe too wide for you (for me, it is a handy travel lens). Lighter than its counterpart in canon or nikkon. This lens has good quality control, unlikely to get a bad copy. small vignetting 0.3 with good flare control. I love it

Da12-24/4 is very good as i heard. I have tokina 12-24 for canon body and i had it on all time when I was in Thailand (first time i learnt about pentax lens quality first hand as tokina has smc coating provided by pentax)

You can check my shots at http://www.pbase.com/roentarre/thai_water_market

Some examples here

fa35/2 is a great lens too but i heard that samsung is going to release the rebatched ones exactly like pentax fa35/2. The only difference is cheaper price tag and name tag changed. So i am waiting for that one too LBA

I used to own Sigma 20/1.8 for canon body but i pursuaded Joele to get it for his pentax body too (at the time he used DS). This is a good buy as there is nothing like it in the league. Though really really not sharp wide open. Only acceptable at f2.2 above. The bokeh is rather ugly. I personally thick this lens works great on film body as the story is different: sharp wide open, great colour rendition etc. I think it is to do with not being DC or it is released into market well before dSLR becoming more prevalent. (have I mentioned it weighted more like a tank??)

Sigma 28/1.8 is actually better than 20/1.8 but i would prefer pentax 28/1.8. Again, I saw the images being quite soft wide open (maybe a bad copy), vignetting with CA. Hence Joel sold it. It was brand new as well. I would love to get fa20/2.8 though as I had not seen the image qualities from the lens.
11-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Lots of suggestions there.

@clm,
I am not sure I have seen a K24 around anywhere, do you have any additional info on it?

@Slipchuck,
Yeah I have hear about the 12-24 and considered it, I have just realised that I would be using the long end only... more or less that is.

@gio645,
I have indeed considered the FA21, it does produce amazing results, but it is to my understanding a pancake and while I generally love the sze of pentax lenses, then they do become almost too small when handled with gloves on. But that might be me

@roentarre,
thanks for posting those really nice examples.
Hmm, seems that the recommendations places it equally between the 12-24, the DA21 and the DA14...

Anyone having any experience with the FA20-35?

Thanks again.
11-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
@clm,
Anyone having any experience with the FA20-35?
I bought the FA20-35/4 after having read about it by users over at the DPR forum. It turned out to be a great lens: sharp in all situations, good contrast and very good bokeh (which was a surprise to me). Easy to focus manually. Now bokeh may not be considered very important for a wide angle lens but IMO it is here. The 20-35 isn't that very wide but more like spanning from normal wide to a normal (strange sentence that I think). It is small and doesn't weight much.
It can also be said that it is a little plastic, doesn't have any QuickShift and that it is on the slow side. I use it in manual focus mode all the time and whe it gets dark I switch to the FA35 - so the drawbacks aren't that bad to me.

For a long time it was my most used lens for shooting in the streets at daytime. 2 samples are attached. The later sample is downsized here and you may have a better look here:
http://photos.imageevent.com/jonas_b/dprmonthly/0611/isigt_vatten_64-65_motif_1.jpg
It's a vertical pano made up from 2 pictures in the 20mm position.

I hope this helps somewhat,

Jonas
Attached Images

11-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
clm

here's a couple of links with Pentax info

subjective: Stan's Pentax Photography

objective:Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page

11-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks..

@jonas B,
Thanks for the opinions adn the load of examples... even though the DA21 by specs seems a little tiny to handle wearing gloves, then it is nice.
The FA20-35 seems nice too.

@clm,
Thanks for the links.

Seems all there is left is for me to make up my darn mind
11-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I sent you an email the other day with the FA24*'s I saw for sale.....
11-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yep you did...were in the middle of replying to it, when your reply here popped in
11-27-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
WRB
Forum Member

I really like the 12-24, great lens for landscapes
11-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am quite sure it is and I am sure I would love it when travelling.

My issue is that for my liking it is too wide, I prefer the 20 or 24 mm range and up.

I do actually shot a fair amount of landscapes at 105mm and above.

Take this example from Saturday afternoon

Shot with my 105mm macro lens.
11-27-2006, 08:04 PM   #14
Inactive Account

You may also want to look at the 10-17 fisheye, it looks like a nice lens. I guess it will depend if you like the fisheye distortion or not.
11-28-2006, 05:41 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elums Quote
You may also want to look at the 10-17 fisheye, it looks like a nice lens. I guess it will depend if you like the fisheye distortion or not.
I do not think it is my kind of lens... I have seen amazing pictures taken with it, but I doubt it would get much use in my hands...