Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 231
Cheap Lenses, why is it.

I see posts from time to time asking "why aren't there cheap lenses".

And I wonder.

Why would anyone spend big bucks on a Camera Body and then want to equip it with "Cheap" Lenses?

Kind of like buying a Ferrari and wanting to put a Toyota 4Cyl engine in it.

02-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denia
Posts: 10
may be they mean a mass production lens with a small profit, hence the guys from the company that makes them to be happy to drive toyotas not Ferraris.

look at the Zenit 44 lenses for example. milions mass production in the former soviet union. 10$-30$ on ebay. if it was not made in such big numbers now would cost 200$ for its "super rare " bokeh .

if they like, they can make it cheap, believe me. what is more difficult and money consumimg according to you - a pentium processor with nano technology and trilions of micro schemes and elements you use now on your pc - 100-300$ or a lens 5-15 crystal elements and an alu case 3000$?????
02-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,761
You very quickly spend as much money on lenses as on the most expensive Pentax body once you buy a couple of lenses that go beyond the kits. I'm not sure which is the Ferrari.
02-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 233
Because cheap in cost does not always mean cheap in value or low quality.

02-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melb. Aust
Posts: 841
I'm assuming you mean new lenses? A lens manufacturer should be able to make a decent quality 30/1.8 (or so) as cheaply as a 18-55 kit lens, but most don't (Nikon do). In the old days, they could also do the same with a short tele (85/2) and a mild wide (35/2).
02-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
Igilligan
Guest




Because some of us buy the Ferrari, and can barely put gas in it.

Plus the cheap old lenses have character, good and bad, so my shots don't look like yours.

Oh. but honestly the main reason is because we ain't got the gas money for our Ferrari... so we dream of the Limited lenses while trying to fill the hole in our hearts with cheap glass and steel...
02-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member
tokyoso's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 723
QuoteOriginally posted by Oscar1 Quote
I see posts from time to time asking "why aren't there cheap lenses".

And I wonder.

Why would anyone spend big bucks on a Camera Body and then want to equip it with "Cheap" Lenses?

Kind of like buying a Ferrari and wanting to put a Toyota 4Cyl engine in it.
Well, why would anyone spend cheap bucks on a Camera body and want to equip it with Rolls Royce lenses?

Last edited by tokyoso; 02-18-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: flamebait
02-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
Well, why would anyone spend cheap bucks on a Camera body and want to equip it with Rolls Royce lenses?
Because lenses are what is between the sensor and the subject at the moment of exposure.
They should be chosen somewhat with care, and should be of good quality if one wants consistently good results.
The camera body is far less important than the lens unless some particular feature trumps all.

02-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member
tokyoso's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 723
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Because lenses are what is between the sensor and the subject at the moment of exposure.
They should be chosen somewhat with care, and should be of good quality if one wants consistently good results.
The camera body is far less important than the lens unless some particular feature trumps all.
Thanks for that great explanation.

Lenses probably retain their values better as well, since new and improved DSLR camera bodies are hitting the malls every year and they don't last very long.

What is a good price distribution that one should spend between dslr camera bodies and lenses, in a personal "collection"?

I see a lot of LBA here but not much CBA.
02-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member
EyeSpy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona
Photos: Albums
Posts: 663
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Because some of us buy the Ferrari, and can barely put gas in it.

Plus the cheap old lenses have character, good and bad, so my shots don't look like yours.

Oh. but honestly the main reason is because we ain't got the gas money for our Ferrari... so we dream of the Limited lenses while trying to fill the hole in our hearts with cheap glass and steel...
Well said.
02-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
Well what about us people who did not spend "big bucks" on a camera body? My K200d new certainly did not cost me big bucks. $1000 for one lens is ridiculous no matter how you look at it IMO.... glass and metal/plastic should not cost that much.
02-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
lenses are like a fuel variety. you can choose a regular, premium, unleaded, non-smoke emission, alternative gas, 20% coconut oil mixture, diet, etc...

anyway, in all honesty, owning a professional camera gear is part luxury as well. so the term "cheap" would be based on your ability to afford and willingness to spend on a lens. in short, the price amount that's way below your buffer price.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 02-19-2010 at 04:49 AM.
02-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member
xjjohnno's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,115
Consumerism rules, pay the money and you is da legend, you paid for the lens to prove it.
02-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
I'm assuming you mean new lenses? A lens manufacturer should be able to make a decent quality 30/1.8 (or so) as cheaply as a 18-55 kit lens, but most don't (Nikon do). In the old days, they could also do the same with a short tele (85/2) and a mild wide (35/2).
Which 85/2 or 35/2 was available as cheaply (in today's dollars) as an 18-55?
02-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
I guess it depends on what the definition of is, IS. By cheap, do you mean my Tak collection or my Tamron Adapt-a-matic collection? I don't consider my ltd collection as cheap.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Which 85/2 or 35/2 was available as cheaply (in today's dollars) as an 18-55?
That's a good point. About ~$299 was the cheapest the FA 35mm f2 ever was.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lenses, pentax lens, slr lens, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap lenses? wizzard Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 09-18-2009 10:44 PM
Cheap manual lens on cheap extension tube with cheap flash! Also cats. pasipasi Post Your Photos! 12 08-28-2008 04:43 PM
Cheap lenses. magnum1 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 12-30-2007 02:14 PM
cheap lenses vs expensive lenses WMBP Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 12-19-2006 11:08 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top