Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Cheap Lenses, why is it.

I see posts from time to time asking "why aren't there cheap lenses".

And I wonder.

Why would anyone spend big bucks on a Camera Body and then want to equip it with "Cheap" Lenses?

Kind of like buying a Ferrari and wanting to put a Toyota 4Cyl engine in it.

02-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #2

may be they mean a mass production lens with a small profit, hence the guys from the company that makes them to be happy to drive toyotas not Ferraris.

look at the Zenit 44 lenses for example. milions mass production in the former soviet union. 10$-30$ on ebay. if it was not made in such big numbers now would cost 200$ for its "super rare " bokeh .

if they like, they can make it cheap, believe me. what is more difficult and money consumimg according to you - a pentium processor with nano technology and trilions of micro schemes and elements you use now on your pc - 100-300$ or a lens 5-15 crystal elements and an alu case 3000$?????
02-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You very quickly spend as much money on lenses as on the most expensive Pentax body once you buy a couple of lenses that go beyond the kits. I'm not sure which is the Ferrari.
02-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #4

Because cheap in cost does not always mean cheap in value or low quality.

02-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm assuming you mean new lenses? A lens manufacturer should be able to make a decent quality 30/1.8 (or so) as cheaply as a 18-55 kit lens, but most don't (Nikon do). In the old days, they could also do the same with a short tele (85/2) and a mild wide (35/2).
02-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
Igilligan

Because some of us buy the Ferrari, and can barely put gas in it.

Plus the cheap old lenses have character, good and bad, so my shots don't look like yours.

Oh. but honestly the main reason is because we ain't got the gas money for our Ferrari... so we dream of the Limited lenses while trying to fill the hole in our hearts with cheap glass and steel...
02-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oscar1 Quote
I see posts from time to time asking "why aren't there cheap lenses".

And I wonder.

Why would anyone spend big bucks on a Camera Body and then want to equip it with "Cheap" Lenses?

Kind of like buying a Ferrari and wanting to put a Toyota 4Cyl engine in it.
Well, why would anyone spend cheap bucks on a Camera body and want to equip it with Rolls Royce lenses?

Last edited by tokyoso; 02-18-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: flamebait
02-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
Well, why would anyone spend cheap bucks on a Camera body and want to equip it with Rolls Royce lenses?
Because lenses are what is between the sensor and the subject at the moment of exposure.
They should be chosen somewhat with care, and should be of good quality if one wants consistently good results.
The camera body is far less important than the lens unless some particular feature trumps all.

02-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Because lenses are what is between the sensor and the subject at the moment of exposure.
They should be chosen somewhat with care, and should be of good quality if one wants consistently good results.
The camera body is far less important than the lens unless some particular feature trumps all.
Thanks for that great explanation.

Lenses probably retain their values better as well, since new and improved DSLR camera bodies are hitting the malls every year and they don't last very long.

What is a good price distribution that one should spend between dslr camera bodies and lenses, in a personal "collection"?

I see a lot of LBA here but not much CBA.
02-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Because some of us buy the Ferrari, and can barely put gas in it.

Plus the cheap old lenses have character, good and bad, so my shots don't look like yours.

Oh. but honestly the main reason is because we ain't got the gas money for our Ferrari... so we dream of the Limited lenses while trying to fill the hole in our hearts with cheap glass and steel...
Well said.
02-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well what about us people who did not spend "big bucks" on a camera body? My K200d new certainly did not cost me big bucks. $1000 for one lens is ridiculous no matter how you look at it IMO.... glass and metal/plastic should not cost that much.
02-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
lenses are like a fuel variety. you can choose a regular, premium, unleaded, non-smoke emission, alternative gas, 20% coconut oil mixture, diet, etc...

anyway, in all honesty, owning a professional camera gear is part luxury as well. so the term "cheap" would be based on your ability to afford and willingness to spend on a lens. in short, the price amount that's way below your buffer price.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 02-19-2010 at 04:49 AM.
02-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Consumerism rules, pay the money and you is da legend, you paid for the lens to prove it.
02-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
I'm assuming you mean new lenses? A lens manufacturer should be able to make a decent quality 30/1.8 (or so) as cheaply as a 18-55 kit lens, but most don't (Nikon do). In the old days, they could also do the same with a short tele (85/2) and a mild wide (35/2).
Which 85/2 or 35/2 was available as cheaply (in today's dollars) as an 18-55?
02-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess it depends on what the definition of is, IS. By cheap, do you mean my Tak collection or my Tamron Adapt-a-matic collection? I don't consider my ltd collection as cheap.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Which 85/2 or 35/2 was available as cheaply (in today's dollars) as an 18-55?
That's a good point. About ~$299 was the cheapest the FA 35mm f2 ever was.