Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Do I NEED a 28-70 mm lens?

Or do I just want one? The 18-55 f 3.5 kit lens I have is a sharp lens

So will that extra 20 mm on the tale end make that much of a dif? Will the F 2.8 instead of my f 3.5 in my kit lens really make a dif? Do I just want to spend this the extra money I have saved up? Would the 18-55 do for birth photography? (Which is something I'd really like to get inot) Aaaack! I just don't know! I am actually thinking of getting some OCf stuff and a backdrop stand with seamless paper. But for some reason I keep thinking I need the 28-70 F 2.8.

I have a 50 mm f 1.4
and a 50-200 lens along with the kit lens. So does anyone with the 28-70 (ish...I'm looking at sigma and that' s what it is) have any input? with the lenses I have do I really need it/

02-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's not the f/2.8 versus f/3.5 at the 18mm end that makes a difference - heck, a 28-70 doesn't *have* an 18mm end. But the 18-55 is only f/3.5 at 18mm. At 55mm, it's maximum aperture is f/5.6. And suddenly that f/2.8 starts to look a lot better in comparison. On the other hand, if you've got a 50/1.4, having f/2.8 on the zoom doens't seem so impressive.

As for how much a difference the extra 15mm (70-55 = 15) makes, that easy enough to see by using your 50-200 at 70mm.
02-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Igilligan

Looking at your photoblog... I say yes. I think you could do some great things with a F 2.8 zoom

I have the Tamron 28-75 The constant ap thru the zoom is a blessing. It is my most used family lens. Pretty darn sharp at 2.8.

ISO 1600 new years shot

02-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's like that other post..

I have a Honda Civic, now do I really need a BMW?

02-19-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
It's like that other post..

I have a Honda Civic, now do I really need a BMW?
It's a way to cure LBA You will probably not be able to buy lenses for a while once you buy the BMW.
02-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You really should decide if having that 55-70 mm range is important to you. Are you changing to that 50-200 a lot for 50-70 mm shots? Are you cropping a lot of 55 mm kit lens shots? Then a 28-70 or similar (17-70 maybe) might be a very good purchase.
02-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #7

Original Poster
reeftool...a couple of weeks ago, I shot 4 month old twins in the A.M. and then a Senior in the afternoon. In the morning, I was chaning my 50 mm out for my kit lens so that I could get both babies in the shot and since I was in the house I couldn't get back far enough to get them both in. BUT...in the afternoon, to get good and close to the Seniors face I felt like I was really far up in her face. I had just met her that day and it felt a little weird that i was SO close to her. So I thought that the 28-70 ish range lens would kind of take care of both problems. Before I had my 50 mm lens, I used the 50-200 on a couple of Seniors and it did a nice job, but I still like the option of opening up to F 2.8. Plus I use my 50-200 when I'm shooting my kids playing all the sports they do. So it's a great lens and I"m definetly keeping that one if for nothing else to shoot football, wrestling and baseball.
03-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
I'm going to answer my own question and say absolutely YES I needed this lens! I got it in a couple weeks ago and have used it a little to shoot. and I love it! I'm so glad I got it and I should have done it much sooner.

a couple of quick snapshots I took today with it while messing around with a new backdrop stand I just got in the mail today

03-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Oh yes, you definitely needed one. Nice shoots and lovely model

You would have been lost without it.