Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
I'm with the K7.

I want to avoid carrying the flash if I have to....
If you really want to get the 18-250 (assuming you have nothing close to it in your bag) then add the 50 (great for potraits as you already know) and add the 10-17 it's not that heavy travel carry and the 10-17 is pefect for street shooting, in Egypt the general masses do not like anything long pointed their way and i'm sure you'll be doing a lot of market shots there also when you do your Pyramids tour the 10-17 again is your best choice imo just becareful to dust of everything first before changing lenses in the field there.
From my experience most of my travel shooting is done in the wide zone using the long for whatever is inaccessible at that time.

02-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

TBH I don't see any point at all in carrying a 50-200 or 70-300, in my experience you'll use wide maybe 90% of the time.

So do you trade the bigger range for the better IQ? The 17-70 is dropping in price so maybe it's an option, last time i travelled i used a 12-24 when visiting churches/galleries, 18-250 and 77 ltd. Most often the 18-250 and 77 TBH.

The 17-70 would really need to show me it can do a much better job than the 18-250 as it's only half to 3/4 of a stop faster across the same range.
02-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm starting to think more the Sigma 18-250 is looking more and more tempting.

Going off the reviews it has excellent image quality as well as been HSM and OS.
02-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

TBH the reviews i've read still say the Tamron is a better lens ...... save yourself some dosh and look here ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/82585-sale-ta...3-5-6-3-a.html

02-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yer I thought about the Tamron but I want to get away from a screw driven lens mainly for noise reasons.

So far I haven't found any negative reviews on the new Sigma 18-250, apparently its got a fantastic image quality.
02-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone here own the Sigma 18-250?
02-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm putting together a travel rig as well, but I have a different definition of traveling light. I'll be taking the K-x plus an array of pancake primes. For less than the weight of the 18-250, I can pack the DA15, DA21, DA40, and DA70. I may throw a 50-200 into the luggage, just in case I want long and I may leave out one of the wides when out and about. I've traveled like this with the K20d, but the smaller body styles of the K-x and even the K-7 make this even more attractive.

To me, traveling light also involves the size and weight of the camera with the lens attached. I have to be comfortable carrying it about. Put a DA40 or even the DA70 on the camera, and it is almost pocketable. Put another lens or two in the pocket or waistpack and you are set. The DA70 is so sharp that, on a 12-15mp sensor, you can crop your way longer and not give up IQ over a good deal of the range of the consumer zooms. This method also minimizes the threatening appearance of an extended zoom. You do have to be OK with changing out lenses, and, you might need to clean the sensor fairly often.
02-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #23
Nubi

I'm with the K7.

I want to avoid carrying the flash if I have to....
Where are you going? I saw that you mentioned that your lens is being repaired in Japan.

Travel photography is a weird one for me, since I think there are two big genres in it. One is that you travel so that you can take photographs. You go to certain places to take this kind of picture of that. Another is that you are traveling for pleasure, and you want to capture highlights of your vacation and the places you went.

I asked where you were going, because depending on what you are likely to encounter, perhaps people around here can give you very interesting advices because they are from all over the world, as you can see. For example, if you are going to Tokyo, you will not need a focal length of 250, especially if you mostly live in less than 70mm range. If you already have 50 on APS-C, then what I would get is DA 35 ltd and DA 15 ltd. But, if you are going to Madagascar, I suggest you bring a tele longer than 70, and a macro. D FA 100 macro WR would be perfect. For snaps at most places, I think DA 21 ltd is just perfect.

Bringing a zoom seems like a sensible thing to do. In fact, I may not be surprised at all if the zoom lens was initially developed for travel photography for the masses. But, here I am going to be the devil's advocate and suggest that you bring primes. In my limited and humble experiences, with primes you find yourself walking around more. As a result, I think you may find more interesting angles that zooms cannot give with you standing in one spot. That may enrich your vacation even more. I carry one of those Ned designed DA limited carrying cases. While FA ltds cannot fit, FA 50 will fit, and DFA 100 will fit (both a bit tight), and that thing makes it a whole lot easier to carry multiple lenses. One of those with 2-3 lenses in it is not a whole lot bigger than DA*200 by itself. Smaller prime in size on the camera will make it easier to carry your K-7.

So how about it? You already have an awesome prime. This may not be a bad time to add another quality prime to your collection, and possibly acquire an early form of LBA.

Last edited by Nubi; 02-20-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Gee, GeneV beat me to it.
02-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Where are you going? I saw that you mentioned that your lens is being repaired in Japan.

Travel photography is a weird one for me, since I think there are two big genres in it. One is that you travel so that you can take photography. You go to certain places to this kind of picture of that. Another is that you are traveling for pleasure, and you want to capture highlights of your vacation and the places you went.

I asked where you were going, because depending on what you are likely to encounter, perhaps people around here can give you very interesting advices because they are from all over the world, as you can see. For example, if you are going to Tokyo, you will not need a focal length of 250, especially if you mostly live in less than 70mm range. If you already have 50 on APS-C, then what I would get is DA 35 ltd and DA 15 ltd. But, if you are going to Madagascar, I suggest you bring a tele longer than 70, and a macro. D FA 100 macro WR would be perfect. For snaps at most places, I think DA 21 ltd is just perfect.

Bringing a zoom seems like a sensible thing to do. In fact, I may not be surprised at all if the zoom lens was initially developed for travel photography for the masses. But, here I am going to be the devil's advocate and suggest that you bring primes. In my limited and humble experiences, with primes you find yourself walking around more. As a result, I think you may find more interesting angles that zooms cannot give with you standing in one spot. That may enrich your vacation even more. I carry one of those Ned designed DA limited carrying cases. While FA ltds cannot fit, FA 50 will fit, and DFA 100 will fit (both a bit tight), and that thing makes it a whole lot easier to carry multiple lenses. One of those with 2-3 lenses in it is not a whole lot bigger than DA*200 by itself. Smaller prime in size on the camera will make it easier to carry your K-7.

So how about it? You already have an awesome prime. This may not be a bad time to add another quality prime to your collection, and possibly acquire an early form of LBA.
Great minds think alike.

I was traveling with a 17-70 (or predecessors in that range), then I noticed that the vast majority of my shots were at the widest or longest point, and most of the remaining shots were dead on the middle. Well, gee, primes to hit 17, 40 and 70 are smaller, lighter, sharper, faster and inconspicuous.
02-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Yer I thought about the Tamron but I want to get away from a screw driven lens mainly for noise reasons.
The noise from focusing is nothing compared to the noise from the shutter.
02-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The noise from focusing is nothing compared to the noise from the shutter.
Really? I find the K7 shutter too quiet for my tastes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Yes my 50mm had to be sent to Japan as it couldn't be repaired here in Australia, I'm off to Europe and Egypt.

The DA70 is a though along with the FA50 im considering and using my fisheye for wide.
02-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #27
Nubi

Yes my 50mm had to be sent to Japan as it couldn't be repaired here in Australia, I'm off to Europe and Egypt.

The DA70 is a though along with the FA50 im considering and using my fisheye for wide.

Then you need DA 15 ltd and 35 ltd. Put the 50 on the camera, and then put 15/35/70 in the Ned's carrying case although that will be a bit tight. You will have a blast.
02-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The DA35 is one of the other possible contenders im thinking!

GRRR this is a pain in the ass!
02-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Could be, but it's still louder than any focus motor.
02-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We're going well here. It started of with 17-70 vs 18-250 and we're now doing primes