Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC, wow! what a buy, bloody awesome man!

Please post any image you take with it, at vancouver you should be able to get some great nature shots including whales and stuff, right?....that lens is so absolutely cooooooooooool

P.S: Is the lens only 69cm long as the data base says, and is that with the lens hood extended?

Last edited by pcarfan; 03-03-2010 at 05:45 PM.
03-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #47
Veteran Member

At least you can use it to do some curls for a few days.... just to get use to it.

That's a beauty smc!
03-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
OK so it showed up tonight and it looks great. No marks or wear that I can see and even the inspection sticker looks untouched. The cloth inside the case is in perfect shape and everything is clean.

So the tripod should show up tomorrow. I did some research regarding what to use for a tripod (and thanks to advice from a number of members on this forum) and it is an all or nothing sort of deal....so the Wimberley Gimbal II head is coming, along with a P50 plate. While the tripod is 3/8 (aluminum for now), this thing also uses 3 - 3/8 bolts on the lens itself, so for the Arca-Swiss plate I need 3/8 to 1/4 reducing Wimberley bushings and it needs 3 Wimberley bolts as well, but I can't (so far) order the bolts locally and will order from the US tomorrow. 3 bolts will probably hold me up for a few days from using it, but I don't want to mess around and screw something up (no pun intended).

I've been warned about the extremely shallow DOF ....and that it can be a very challenging lens to use. I'm looking forward to it

Anyways, I couldn't help but take a few pics while I opened it up...
Glad it arrived safely and I hope Canada customs didn’t hit you too hard with taxes & duties.

Nice piece of glass, enjoy!!!

Phil.
03-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks...I'm happy so far. Regarding the whales, you don't see them that often close to the shoreline especially towards a city. I'm thinking that the west coast of the island there might be a greater chance if I do my homework to see when the pods are in the area. Lots of eagles, hawks, cranes etc. And yes...I measure 71cm with the caps.

I took into account customs with the offer, but the tripod and head was another matter...

I hope it won't be long before I can get the tripod pieces together....it's painful not being able to try it out....

03-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #50
Inactive Account

Ouch, must be a terrible wait for the tripod

I hope you get the pieces soon, and please share some shots soon
03-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

OK....now that I have the thing in my hands, only 1 of the 4 bolts is 3/8, so it looks like I only need one reducer. And yes, the whole hood is threaded...once unthreaded it comes out at least 10cm...

looking forward to sharing some photos. Stephen was nice enough to share some advice... Lenses this long are only half the resolution per mm of a 50mm lens, but the reach should make up for it... we'll see
03-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #52
Veteran Member

OK....now that I have the thing in my hands, only 1 of the 4 bolts is 3/8, so it looks like I only need one reducer. And yes, the whole hood is threaded...once unthreaded it comes out at least 10cm...

looking forward to sharing some photos. Stephen was nice enough to share some advice... Lenses this long are only half the resolution per mm of a 50mm lens, but the reach should make up for it... we'll see

I wouldn't worry about the resolution issue, check out these samples...wow!

Sunday Morning with the Super telephoto.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
03-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #53
Inactive Account

i want one!
imagine carting 100kg's of lens around

03-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

OK....I took an hour after work to try a few shots.

The first thing I noticed was that it was hard to find the subject. On APS-C, it's around 1800mm....a telescope, so finding the bird you are trying to focus on isn't that easy. I used the line on the handle like a scope then had better luck finding the target.

The lens performs better than I expected. This thing was released in the 80s, so the technology is old, and I thought it would show, but looking through it, it seems like new technology. Focusing is tricky and the throw is quick, so with moving targets it can be a challenge.

Panning....even with a duck barely moving, it moves across the frame very fast. I found myself focusing, then moving forward so the bird would move into view for the picture, but I still only had a fraction of a second to bang the shot off.

The distance is deceiving...I parked the car to take a shot of a lighthouse that was across the water to find that I was way too close and would end up with a chunk of it. Other times, like when I had an eagle landing in a tree, I was unexpectedly too far away.

It attracts attention. People seemed to need to comment. I was asked what I was studying ??? I was asked if I could take pictures for a boxers portfolio. I was asked about a wedding. What I would do with this lens at a wedding I have no idea.

Finally, the wind at the beach make it move a bit and shake reduction only goes up to 800mm on the K7. I decided to leave shake reduction on and it seemed to work OK...

Anyways, here are a few pics....

Last edited by SteveM; 03-05-2010 at 09:27 AM.
03-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Wow, nice!
03-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice indeed.
03-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OK....I took an hour after work to try a few shots.

The first thing I noticed was that it was hard to find the subject. On APS-C, it's around 1800mm....a telescope, so finding the bird you are trying to focus on isn't that easy. I used the line on the handle like a scope then had better luck finding the target.
I think, the groove in the handle is exactly made as a line sight. My old 500/4.5 has a real gun sight, like on a rifle... But for the 1200mm I would add a red dot finder, which (after initial alignement), makes using that monster much easier. For instance this one: OPT Single Dot Red Dot Finder - OPT Telescopes

The guys at OptoCorp are very nice, if you have questions. Also be careful, if you go for such a device, as most of them are only working at night, as the red dot would not be bright enough to be seen in daylight.

Ben
03-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Thank you for your initial impressions and the quirkiness of such a long lens. It looks like you are dealing with a narrow dof, in the first image the beak seams to be very sharp but even the eye is blurred a bit and the neck is pure bokeh - that is some narrow dof.
03-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Can we get a profile shot of your rig?
03-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Ben...I'll check out the red dot finder...the price looks reasonable too

You're right pcarfan, the DOF is really narrow and is "interesting" for moving targets like birds. One small head movement and the shot is toast.

Here are a couple of more shots of it Raybo....