Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #31
Nubi

Congratulations!! That looks unreal.

Please don't point that thing at me though...

02-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Now THAT is some serious glass!

Congrats smc!
02-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
If someone has something like this. I'd like to know about your tripod?. I have a carbon fiber ball head that is great for my 67 but it'll get ruined. I live on top of a small mountain with a ridge for deer, eagles and hawks....the tripod doesn't have to be carried around..??
Hi Steve:

If you are able to avoid carrying around the lens, trunk, tripod & camera bag on a shoot, you are lucky! I live in a condo, so I have to drag everything with me and it’s not fun. My wife is a good sport and helps by carrying the tripod; I’m looking at getting a pack mule down the road!!

Besides getting the appropriate tripod legs & head, your A1200 will be susceptible to vibrations. A sand bag is an option (not for me, no more weight to carry thanks) or you could look at this long lens support option. I just ordered one and will let you know how it works.

Here is a link to another beast close to the size of your A1200.

Luminous landscape

Phil.
02-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks everyone. Paul (and Steve) that shot of the moon is amazing! He's mentioned it'll ship tomorrow and it usually doesn't take long to come from Japan unless it gets caught up in customs. It might take me a little while to find a tripod...thanks for the links Phil...don't tempt me with the 67 tele.. (that will have to wait for a different lifetime!)

I've spent a good chunk of my life carrying people around on Ambulance and as a firefighter, but that was a few years ago. You're right though Marc, I'll need to be careful the first few times out with it so I don't damage it or myself. East Sooke park would be amazing, but too difficult to pack that lens into a premium spot. I'll need to do some research to see where I might be able to pick up whales, etc.

Last edited by SteveM; 02-21-2010 at 12:05 PM.
02-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Steve,

I don't intend to ding your checkbook any further, however reading the posts (and links) from Phil, I remembered yesterday seeing a 1.4x and 2.0x Pentax "Rear Converter" built for this and several other lenses. Just in case you want/need a slightly longer reach...

PentaxWebstore - SLR Lenses

PentaxWebstore smc Rear Converter A 1.4xL
PentaxWebstore smc Rear Converter A 2.0xL

* Compact dimensions
* For FA 250-600mm, FA 300mm, FA 600mm, A 300mm, A 500mm, A 600mm, A 1200mm, K 400mm, K600mm
* SMC reduce internal reflections for optimum performance
* Maintains all Program Modes
* Manual Focus only with all lenses

Welcome to the long lens club. Personally I like landscapes, however I did the tracking system for a small installation out in the hinderlands of Texas...

Hobby-Eberly Telescope
HETDEX - Dark Energy Experiment

02-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
Talking about long lenses, eh? (just in case someone hasn't seen this yet)
That lens came out the same time I purchased my first SLR, a Canon Pellix QL w/58mm F1.2 in 1966. The current king of telephoto lenses is the Zeiss 1700mm f4.0 with a weight of 563 Lbs and is an APO lens vs mirror for the 5200mm F14 Canon .

02-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Look at the size of the camera.....
And with the crop factor, it'd be 303x.

Then again, since it's for SLRs, it probably wouldn't work with a Canon DSLR, regardless of sensor size.

I wonder who picked up that A*200/2.8 a couple days ago? And then there's the 300, the one I'd love to have. . . .

Good luck with the 1200, smc!

02-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Hey Steve,

Congratulations...
Are you going to become the BC Paparzzi?

Any chance you might let some of us B.Cer's come and have a perve some time/
I'm sure there are a couple of interested people!

Again - Congratulations!
Andrew
02-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
And with the crop factor, it'd be 303x.

Then again, since it's for SLRs, it probably wouldn't work with a Canon DSLR, regardless of sensor size.

I wonder who picked up that A*200/2.8 a couple days ago? And then there's the 300, the one I'd love to have. . . .

Good luck with the 1200, smc!
Any lens will work with a DSLR, I use my 2350mm F10 Celestron 9.25 on my K-7.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJcI2uDOMCc[/yt]
02-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Thanks again everyone. That 1700/4...would like very nice bolted onto the top of my car.... Jogiba...I might need some advice over the next few months!

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Steve,

I don't intend to ding your checkbook any further, however reading the posts (and links) from Phil, I remembered yesterday seeing a 1.4x and 2.0x Pentax "Rear Converter" built for this and several other lenses. Just in case you want/need a slightly longer reach...

PentaxWebstore - SLR Lenses

PentaxWebstore smc Rear Converter A 1.4xL
PentaxWebstore smc Rear Converter A 2.0xL

* Compact dimensions
* For FA 250-600mm, FA 300mm, FA 600mm, A 300mm, A 500mm, A 600mm, A 1200mm, K 400mm, K600mm
* SMC reduce internal reflections for optimum performance
* Maintains all Program Modes
* Manual Focus only with all lenses

Welcome to the long lens club. Personally I like landscapes, however I did the tracking system for a small installation out in the hinderlands of Texas...

Hobby-Eberly Telescope
HETDEX - Dark Energy Experiment

I checked out your the links...very cool. I checked out the converters as well ....they are a perfect match....and they scream quality. I'll have to hold off buying anything else for a while though . I'm wondering how other TC would work with this lens...like the Kenko..??
QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote
Hey Steve,

Congratulations...
Are you going to become the BC Paparzzi?

Any chance you might let some of us B.Cer's come and have a perve some time/
I'm sure there are a couple of interested people!

Again - Congratulations!
Andrew
Thanks Andrew! I wonder what the neighbors will think of it pointing out from the front deck...

I'm over in Victoria so if you are ever over on the island, give me a shout. I'll organize another meet a little later in the spring (although I don't think I'll be bringing this lens...)

Cheers,
Steve
02-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Congrats on the new lens Steve. It's a safe bet you will have the only one in town. Who can remember the last time a Pentax lens generated this kind of excitement on the forum? Maybe its time Pentax rolled out another big gun to put some life back into the brand. Even if they only sell a handful it will get people talking about Pentax again.

Steve – you know with a rig like this we are going to be expecting some insanely good images from you.

Tom G
02-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Steve – you know with a rig like this we are going to be expecting some insanely good images from you.

Tom G
"Insane" images yes...."good"?, well I can't guarantee that
03-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #43
Veteran Member

It's here...

OK so it showed up tonight and it looks great. No marks or wear that I can see and even the inspection sticker looks untouched. The cloth inside the case is in perfect shape and everything is clean.

So the tripod should show up tomorrow. I did some research regarding what to use for a tripod (and thanks to advice from a number of members on this forum) and it is an all or nothing sort of deal....so the Wimberley Gimbal II head is coming, along with a P50 plate. While the tripod is 3/8 (aluminum for now), this thing also uses 3 - 3/8 bolts on the lens itself, so for the Arca-Swiss plate I need 3/8 to 1/4 reducing Wimberley bushings and it needs 3 Wimberley bolts as well, but I can't (so far) order the bolts locally and will order from the US tomorrow. 3 bolts will probably hold me up for a few days from using it, but I don't want to mess around and screw something up (no pun intended).

I've been warned about the extremely shallow DOF ....and that it can be a very challenging lens to use. I'm looking forward to it

Anyways, I couldn't help but take a few pics while I opened it up...

Last edited by SteveM; 03-02-2010 at 11:31 PM.
03-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've only got two words: Oh My...
03-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #45
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
and to think I was bummed out that I missed an smc 400mm/f5.6 that went for like 188$ yesterday!

I keep thinking of the scene in "Dirty Harry" when Scorpio has Harry against the wall and tells him to pull out the .44...

When he sees it he says "my, that's a big one"!!!!