Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Real input from people that have lense failure versus imaginary people who chose not to comment?
I am 50/50 on my two lenses. I try to point out that my two DA* lenses were early run. I bought them both in Nov 2007. My 16-50 just does what I want it to do, and very nicely indeed, thank you. My 50-135 developed SDM symptoms a few weeks before the warranty ran out here (two years in Canada). I just received it back from a re-do of the repairs, and it is working as it did when I first got it. There is a thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/90053-superson...tml#post932510

I started. Frankly, even if the 50-135 was stuck as a manual focus lens only, I would keep it and love it for the optics.

02-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
More to do with one idiot to many. There is no excuse for the behaviour of some people around here. Disagree by all means, but keep it civil.
Well you're off to a good start.

I am an engineer
and I'm okay
I sleep all night and I work all day

He's an engineer and he's okay ...
He sleeps all night and he works all day...

I post on the Internet, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavat'ry
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea

He posts on the Internet ...
He's an engineer ...

I post on the Internet, I skip and jump
I love to press wild flow'rs
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars

He's an engineer ...

I post on the Internet, I wear high heels
Suspendies and a bra
I wish I'd been a girlie
Just like my dear papa

He's an engineer ...

WAHH! And I thought you were so RUGGED!

I am a member of 3 Pentax fora, and of the other two, one has two or three mentions of this in the eighteen months I have been there, and the other has zero.

This leaves me curious. Why are so many allegedly breaking on this forum and virtually none on others?
Breakdown of SDM Failures posted to Dpreview's Pentax Forum

Thank you
Russell
02-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #63
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Well you [i.e. Oggy] are off to a good start.
That's exactly what I was thinking, too. What's the proverb... "People tend to criticize in others, faults they see in themselves."?

Thanks for the link! So, that shows 75 SDM Failures, from 61 respondents. Certainly doesn't sound like just the "normal" level of issues.

Interesting, the DPReview spreadsheet lists no problems with the 60-250, however, we've heard of at least two problematic instances of that lens here on this forum.
02-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I am an engineer and as such deal with facts
Oh now it all makes sense. This may explain your lack of "people skills" when disappointed individuals report failures with their lenses? Or your continued mocking with your signature line, and your presence, reminding all that your equipment still works when theirs doesn't?

Get over yourself. Just because you are an engineer doesn't mean you know how to interpret the "facts" that you see.

02-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If someone has a JUNK SDM lens will they please send it to Oggy?
It might be interesting to see what he thinks of them, after he disects one
Who knows, he may even have an idea how people can extend their lifes that way.
02-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #66

Quote from Oggy: "I am an engineer and as such deal with facts such as force = mass x acceleration. In the absence of facts I resort to well proven theories such as Pythagoras’s theorem (cannot be proved, but has not been wrong yet)."

Interesting that you chose to quote these two... They teach them in 8th grade, don't they?
02-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
Quote from Oggy: "I am an engineer and as such deal with facts such as force = mass x acceleration. In the absence of facts I resort to well proven theories such as Pythagoras’s theorem (cannot be proved, but has not been wrong yet)."

Interesting that you chose to quote these two... They teach them in 8th grade, don't they?

I don't know, back in my freshman (college) physics class, I had to teach my lab partner about the significance of F=MA.

02-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I don't know, back in my freshman (college) physics class, I had to teach my lab partner about the significance of F=MA.

Did it ended up in a fist fight? That's one way to test it!

I am not usually one to use sarcasm but I am mildly offended by OGGY's position as I had two (yes, two!) SDM failure on my 50-135's. The second one is the brand new replacement from Pentax... In both cases, the SDM lasted about 6 months. As I said in a previous post, this can't be just bad luck or coincidence...
02-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
We can use F=MA to calculate how fast Oggy's jaw will drop the first time one of his DA* lenses fails.
02-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Real input from people that have lense failure versus imaginary people who chose not to comment?
If folks are going to imply there aren't many without SDM problems and cite lack of posts from such people as evidence, then it would seem illogical to criticize people when they *do* post that they aren't having problems.
02-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #71

Mark,

I think it's the other way around. Folks implying there aren't many without SDM problems are those that are having issues. I also believe they are not being shy about posting about it either.

BB
02-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought that was my point - people with problems post, people without problems might not, and if the former group is going to claim that the latter group is going to claim the latter group can't be very large because they don't see many posts from the, they shouldn't be complaining the few times one fo the latter group *does* post.
02-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
they shouldn't be complaining the few times one fo the latter group *does* post.
I don't think people mind posters that post they have no problems. It is however usually offered as proof that such problems don't exist at all or that if they do exist, that they are the fault of the person with the issue. That is what people have issue with. To suggest otherwise, is to be disingenuous.

Thank you
Russell
02-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I don't think people mind posters that post they have no problems. It is however usually offered as proof that such problems don't exist at all or that if they do exist, that they are the fault of the person with the issue. That is what people have issue with. To suggest otherwise, is to be disingenuous.

Thank you
Russell
I think that is the main issue, a certain few number of individuals blame the owners of the DA* zooms for having a faulty lens as if they caused the lens to fail. it is simply silly to just fabricated an alibi due to mishandling. I could not think of a way of how to use an SDM lens properly as if it needed a special attention. it ain't made to be super-fragile for such a purpose.
02-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #75
Veteran Member

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I was simply responding to to a post that *seemed* to imply that lack of *posts* from people without constituted proof of lack of *existence* of such people. Obviously, some have problems, others don't. Anyone who attempts to suggest otherwise is clearly wrong.