Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

:( DA*

*sigh* so the inevitable has happened. The SDM in my beautiful 50-135 has failed. Of course I would have a huge event to shoot tomorrow. Guess I'll be limited to my 24-70. This is highly, highly disappointing.

I am without a doubt a proud pentax user and I have loved being able to use quality glass on a college student's budget. I've resisted moving to nikon because for my shooting, pentax is more than enough, but if it simply doesn't work when I'm relying on it to, then we have an issue.

I'll be sending it out (along with my battery grip) to get an estimate for repairs. If you've sent in your lens for a SDM failure, how much did it cost you? How many people have had them fail again after getting them fixed?

02-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I very recently sent in my DA* 16-50mm f2.8 which was purchased from someone locally. As it was only several months old, I sent it in with copies of the original paperwork and Pentax replaced the SDM motor for free and I got the lens back in 2 weeks.

So far its been doing fine; knock on plastic, metal and glass.
02-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dang that's pretty scary, hope this doesn't happen to me as I bought it used =(

Have you tried cleaning out your contacts for both the body and lens yet? Sometimes if it's dirty, the SDM won't work.

Some people get a repair of around 200-300 dollars. However I have not heard of one SDM repair costing less than 200 before.
02-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the club (unfortunately) kthung.

How many stories just like this do we have to read before Pentax acknowledges the problem and does something about it?

OK Dave, you and I both know it is never dirty contacts. I think that is an urban myth that gets propogated because SDM failure is often intermittent. The action of removing the lens and reinstalling it often temporarily "revives" the SDM.

Why don't we have to clean the contacts of our non-SDM lenses? Why do I never hear of Canon users talking about cleaning the contacts? Every Canon lens made since 1987 are all electric. Aperture and AF motors are in the lens and all signals are sent through contacts.

I have been doing photography since the early 80's and not once can I remember even the mount ring being dirty, let alone dirty enough to prevent contacts from conducting. Certainly not a lens that is no more than a year or two old.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 02-20-2010 at 12:27 AM.
02-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just shoot the event manual focus.
02-20-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
You know that may not be a bad idea, and certainly not as horrible as one would think. If it meant getting a few shots rather than none...

But it sucks either way. I have wanted that lens since I got the tamron 28-75 and realized the just how perfect that focal range would be for me. But I will not buy it until Hoya either increases the warranty or has a fix.

Good luck with your repair. And more importantly,good luck with your event.
02-20-2010, 04:42 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
Yes he could do that, but honestly, this statement is insulting.

When you make a large purchase that these lenses are, THEY SHOULD WORK!!!! Pentax is charging top dollar for their lenses, they should be top quality.

Historically, I am not a long time Pentax user. When I decided to buy a DSLR Pentax was the best choice for me, and remains to be so. But the issues they have with their flagship lenses is preventing me from making additional Pentax purchases. I chose not to buy the DA* 16-50 because of the issues with that lens and I will not touch the DA* 50-135 due to these reported problems. In fact, I will not touch any SDM lens, I can't afford to get a clunker. I desperately want a 300mm telephoto, but can't justify the risk of buying the DA*. I will continue to buy Tamron lenses when I feel the need for a zoom, and look for used lenses for other needs. In my eyes Pentax is forfeiting future revenue from me.
02-20-2010, 04:48 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
I've resisted moving to nikon because for my shooting, pentax is more than enough, but if it simply doesn't work when I'm relying on it to, then we have an issue.
And if Pentax isn't considering the failures of their premium lenses a quality issues, read this statement from a loyal user again. "Pentax is more than enough..." but not the best. That is a very dangerous perception for any company, and not something that can be rectified by a slick marketing department.

02-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

SDM = Stupid Design Mistake, Sonic Drive Malfunction, Suddenly Does Manual.

etc, etc...

Jason
02-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Still Drives Mine
02-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rover Quote
Yes he could do that, but honestly, this statement is insulting.
Really? Don't you think he is offering a solution for the current problem, rather than insulting the OP?

Getting through the event doesn't mean the lens shouldn't have failed.
02-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I agree. Bring the lens so you have longer focal lengths available, focus manually (not the end of the world), *then* send it in for repair. No one is insulting anyone here - just offering practical advice.
02-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Really? Don't you think he is offering a solution for the current problem, rather than insulting the OP?

Getting through the event doesn't mean the lens shouldn't have failed.
I think he means it as an insult from pentax to DA* owners... rather than from the poster. If it's what I think it is, then I agree.
02-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I think he means it as an insult from pentax to DA* owners... rather than from the poster. If it's what I think it is, then I agree.
Correct, there is a problem which needs to be addressed for all, not just the OP. Pentax is the offender here.
02-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

As much as I like Pentax, I just think they've just completely and deliberately ignored SDM issues. It may be economically more viable for them to just fix those lenses that show up at their service center while still under warranty than to fix the real issue, but its definitely off-putting that they haven't even acknowledged it much less fix the issue all together, especially since they continue to use the SDM technology to market the DA* lenses.

No one would knowingly pay big bucks for a manual lens with good optics and weather sealing. What about the cost of shipping the item back to Pentax even if it is under warranty, and about down time and lost opportunities?