Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Drop and give me 50 (in one piece)

I am so careful when changing lenses, I guess it had to happen sometime. My mint-like A 50mm f/1.7 took a 4 foot fall and bounced across the hardwood floor. So with heart racing I picked it up, no visual damage, aperture blades are fine. However, it no longer mounts on the camera! As I mentioned, nothing looks out of place, even compared it to the back of my A 35. Any ideas what might be going on or should I just take it to the local shop for repair?

02-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Show us a photo of the back, if something is damaged / bent preventing it mounting it will be here.
02-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Photos from the injured.

02-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

As you said, it does all look OK, notyhing is obviously out of place. At what point during the mounting does it go wrong? Does it bind before the flange is flush with the camera or does it just not rotate and lock on the bayonet?

02-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Photos from the injured.

The only difference I can see from mine is the aperature lever looks a few mm's more open on yours. All the other parts look to be in the exact same spot. Also, maybe the aperature lever guard is bent out a little?
02-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MattGunn Quote
As you said, it does all look OK, notyhing is obviously out of place. At what point during the mounting does it go wrong? Does it bind before the flange is flush with the camera or does it just not rotate and lock on the bayonet?
Matt, when I line up the orange dot an fit the lens in the mount inside the camera I immediately can not turn it to seat it in place. Feels like something blocking the ability to turn the lens.
02-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Matt, when I line up the orange dot an fit the lens in the mount inside the camera I immediately can not turn it to seat it in place. Feels like something blocking the ability to turn the lens.

The 3 chrome flanges that hold the lens on the camera, each one has a square side and a curved side. the square side of the one next to the aperature lever may be bent slightly in, right at the corner, thus not allowing you to turn the lens.?

02-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by betaPhoto Quote
The 3 chrome flanges that hold the lens on the camera, each one has a square side and a curved side. the square side of the one next to the aperature lever may be bent slightly in, right at the corner, thus not allowing you to turn the lens.?
This was what I had in mind. It is dificult to tell from your photos but is highly likely explanation. Is this is the case then it should be repairable, either by straightening the bent tab or by removing a bit of material. If you are not a confident engineer / tinkerer then I would recomment taking it to a professional for repair.
02-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi betaPhoto, everything looks fine on those flanges. None of them bent or marked. It really has me puzzled.
02-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by betaPhoto Quote
I'd suspect a bent flange too, but not that one. If it fell on the one next to the aperture lever, it would have bent the lever and/or broken the shield. You could check the flange with calipers, or see if extension tubes, TCs, old film cameras or even caps still fit. A bent flange could probably be filed into working shape.