Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FA 50/1.4 Confusion - Question

I've been reading reviews and checking specs on the various F and FA lenses, and I've come across some contradictory info on the FA 50/1.4.

Both the reviews on this forum as well as Dimitrov's Pentax K-mount page say this lens is discontinued, and that production stopped in 2004. But ... according to the Pentax site, this lens is still being made.

Did Pentax stop production of this lens and then bring it back? Certainly there aren't two different lenses with the same name?

Thanks!

02-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Either production was never stopped, or it was stopped, and then resumed. The lens has been available new until recently, perhaps still is.

And no, it is not two different lenses with the same name.
02-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Either production was never stopped, or it was stopped, and then resumed. The lens has been available new until recently, perhaps still is.
Thanks! I know it's going for ~$360 new at B&H & Adorama, so I wondered why I'd read it was discontinued.
02-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I concur. The FA50mm is still available as a new lens at Adorama, B&H and more ... as of last week.

You may be interested to look at some recent threads on other 50mm f1.4 lenses for Pentax cameras:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90946-50mm-f-1-4-p...tml#post926435
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84601-advice-l...oor-photo.html

In addition of the pentax FA50mm, there is also the Pentax 43mm f1.9 (a highly regarded lens although more expensive), the Pentax FA35 mm f2, some Sigma and Tamron lenses.

I have myself a Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 SLII that is priced very close to the FA50mm. It differs from the FA50mm: very robust and sturdy (basically weather-proof), aperture Auto mode, no autofocus but that is a good learning, and very nice images.

If your budget is around USD$350, the FA50mm and Nokton 58mm are the obvious choices. If you have an extended budget, the other FA lenses are worth to consider.

Hope it will help ....

02-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Inactive Account

The FA50 1.4 supply seems to be intermittent. I saw them advertised at my favourite dealer a couple of weeks ago so I bought one. Now they are now longer available.
02-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What's very possible is that Pentax stopped manufacturing them a while go, but has enough existing stock to keep selling them. No one really knows for sure.
02-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I have myself a Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 SLII that is priced very close to the FA50mm. It differs from the FA50mm: very robust and sturdy (basically weather-proof), aperture Auto mode, no autofocus but that is a good learning, and very nice images.
Thanks. I've already been the MF route with an A 50/1.7 and discovered my eyesight isn't good enough. Funny, I used to be able to MF just fine with my Fujica film camera ... back in the early 80s.