Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2010, 06:11 AM   #136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by matam Quote
...i'm disappointed as i was really hoping to see it in the 500€ range.
Perhaps the lens would be disappointing if it could be sold for €500?

05-13-2010, 06:46 AM   #137
Inactive Account

Does a lens must be disappointing if it's not priced around 1k ($ or € is the same)?
I was saing the price was disappointing to me, as i'm not willing to spend that ammount of money.
The 50 1.4 HSM is priced around 400 euro, same things goes for the other sigma HSM prime (some more some less), so i can't understand why it's double that price.

I just look at the "cheap" samyang and find that's an inexpensive lens, but images are great (at least to my eyes) and i was just hoping Sigma could have done something similar.
05-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by matam Quote
Does a lens must be disappointing if it's not priced around 1k ($ or € is the same)?
I was saing the price was disappointing to me, as i'm not willing to spend that ammount of money.
The 50 1.4 HSM is priced around 400 euro, same things goes for the other sigma HSM prime (some more some less), so i can't understand why it's double that price.

I just look at the "cheap" samyang and find that's an inexpensive lens, but images are great (at least to my eyes) and i was just hoping Sigma could have done something similar.
it is probably because those other faster primes are not 85mm or doesn't go beyond 50mm. the closest to the 85mm is the Sigma 70 which is an outstanding lens but mind you it's only an f2.8 lens and is not HSM.

I'm not really against the 500 euro price tag on it as you may wanted it. besides, it's cheaper than what you may have wanted for an HSM autofocus 85/1.4 but unrealistic. Sigma would had probably priced it around 600-700 euro here in North America, but considering the extra premium (tax duties) you guys have to pay in the EU, could had brought the price up an additional 150 euro.

although the FA85 may be an option, it is quite rare to find in the used market. but atleast I would assume that it would be priced cheaper this time as compared to before when it was selling for around 1k US. it could bring down it's price to $700.

I would assume that the Sigma would still be priced at the same bracket as that of the FA77. so there is a trend here on how the Sigma is priced. and this would be more of choosing between size versus speed versus focal length.

I do know that there is a cheap alternative like the Samyang which is a very nice lens as well, although mind you that it is only an MF lens nor HSM. but the thing is that Samyang is a different company. I would suppose that Samyang should atleast consider improving the optics, coating and resolving power of it's current 85mm further and make it an AF lens. then sold it at around 400 euro or even 500 euro. that would be more realistic.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 05-13-2010 at 12:02 PM.