Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Sigma is going to present a teeth-gnashing choice in a couple of months... an affordable (maybe) AF 85 1.4, or a high-quality 8-16?

(shaking fist at sky) SIIIGMAAAA!!!

I did the teeth gnashing choice, well choices except the hail thing eversince Sigma made the lens announcement. I did initially thought of getting both lenses but fought off a difficult battle with LBA. I guess Round 2 is coming up shortly and let's see who wins.

05-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I did the teeth gnashing choice, well choices except the hail thing eversince Sigma made the lens announcement. I did initially thought of getting both lenses but fought off a difficult battle with LBA. I guess Round 2 is coming up shortly and let's see who wins.

I always lose.

05-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #93

I am intrigued by both the 8-16mm and 85mm F1.4 but if my budget can only allow me to choose one, it will be the 85mm F1.4. I take more portraits than landscapes. The Pentax equivalent is too expensive..
05-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Sigma 85? I'd start saving for Carl Zeiss 85.
I think I might go the same way.

I am considering the 30/1.4 though but by the time I get around to it Pentax might put something out so it may be sonme time unless I can find a good deal on the used market.

05-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by freewheeler Quote
...the shallow DOF at F2.8 or F4 would not allow me to use AF.
At 1.4m you get 6cm DOF. A find-adjusted AF system should cope with that.

Sigma, frankly, impresses the hell out of me these days.
+1
Well put together list.

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Sigma haters are hilarious.
Yes, and they remind me of broken records.
Boring.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
...it seems like with Pentax, the two don't get in the way of each other.
As other have confirmed: You cannot use the two image stabilisation systems simultaneously (one doesn't know what the other is doing). I'm glad that the 85/1.4 isn't an OS lens. Even if you can turn OS off, the stuff weighs something, adds to the cost, and can break.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
choosing between two stabilization feature for use doesn't quite add up.
The OS variant has the advantage that your viewfinder image is stabilised as well. It also may work better at longer focal length. I guess it will draw more power, though.

It is just more economic for Sigma to mass-produce an OS version rather than have a separate production run for Pentax and Sony.
05-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Could you imagine how well a Sigma nifty fifty lens would sell if they made it? Why haven't they yet?
05-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Could you imagine how well a Sigma nifty fifty lens would sell if they made it? Why haven't they yet?
Errrr... Doh?

05-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Errrr... Doh?

I'll do a same but different expression, WHAT ?

05-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #99
Veteran Member

There doesn't seem to be a lot of anticipation here for the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OC HSM? That's actually the lens that I'm most looking forward to; I'm wanting to got for a fast (f/2.8) normal zoom lens, and my current options are:
- Pentax DA* 16-50mm F2.8 SDM
- Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro and the
- Tamron AF17-50mm F2.8 Di-II LD ASL

While the DA* seem to be optically excellent, that's only if you get a good one, and there's the whole SDM issue which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, so that rules that out. That leaves the Sigma 18-50mm and Tamron 17-50mm, but I've also got the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 HSM, and I absolutely love the HSM on it, both the speed and the silence, so I'm definitely wanting to see what the new HSM Sigma 17-50mm is capable of.
05-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #100
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
:3stooges:
05-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
There doesn't seem to be a lot of anticipation here for the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OC HSM?
Pentax users had been missing an AF 85mm for a long time as opposed to having something of a wide to normal zoom which are plenty eversince.
05-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This forum is for assembling to share information. Why, when someone clearly asks for help, would anyone here mock them--I do not understand?

All the good teachers say there is no such thing as a silly question.
05-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #103
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
This forum is for assembling to share information. Why, when someone clearly asks for help, would anyone here mock them--I do not understand?

All the good teachers say there is no such thing as a silly question.
JCT never asked for help but made a comment that would have been answered had he actually looked at any of the links to Sigma. If you have something to say, say it direct an not hidden in vagueness such as you did in this post, in other words, identify who got "mocked" and who did the mocking. Furthermore, my post was in jest. So in short, "Lighten up Francis!."
05-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Code Blue: JCT never asked for help but made a comment that would have been answered had he actually looked at any of the links to Sigma. If you have something to say, say it direct an not hidden in vagueness such as you did in this post, in other words, identify who got "mocked" and who did the mocking. Furthermore, my post was in jest. So in short, "Lighten up Francis!."
QuoteQuote:

jct us101 Could you imagine how well a Sigma nifty fifty lens would sell if they made it? Why haven't they yet?
I see 2 question marks punctuating each sentence above: this means there were 2 questions asked. I will communicate in any medium I choose. Chill bro
05-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #105
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I see 2 question marks punctuating each sentence above: this means there were 2 questions asked. I will communicate in any medium I choose. Chill bro
There are 2 questions but in what way are they asking for "help" as you implied. Second, you were the one that was acting like the humanity police so why don't you "chill." Furthermore, I not your Bro. I don't give a damn what medium you chose to to communicate in. However, when you are throw out vague comments that may be directed at me, I may challenge you on it.

I don't really know what you mean by this comment:
QuoteQuote:
Code Blue:
therefore, here's a bunny with a pancake on its head.