Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Diffusion Quote
Regarding the idea that SR and OS play nicely... How would that be possible?

that's exactly what and why R&D is there for. to make things work where nobody else think that certain things can be possible. they had to start from somewhere or something that is perceived impossible.

02-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #77
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
that's exactly what and why R&D is there for. to make things work where nobody else think that certain things can be possible. they had to start from somewhere or something that is perceived impossible.
EDIT: Before I blabber on, here is Sigma's take on it: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=34594332&q=OS+SR&qf=m (well, by way of a forum post)...

While R&D is indeed there to make things that are impossible possible, the work would have to be done on the Pentax SR, because it would need to respond properly to the OS of the Sigma lens, by doing the fine compensation the OS system still cannot do.

This is certainly an interesting proposal, in that Pentax cameras could realize that there is an OS lens attached, and have a pre-programmed pattern on how the SR should react to each motion, knowing that the OS will cover most of the movement.

It is possible that Pentax has done this. I highly doubt it, but it is possible.

The other way around, as I thought was suggested, would not be feasible. In such a coupled system, the lens stabilization would always have to do the brute adjustment, with the SR doing the fine adjustment.

Well, let's wait and see until someone does a test with it in real life. Since 24-70 OS and 18-250 OS lenses are already out, someone probably tested it already.

Last edited by Diffusion; 02-22-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added a link
02-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma talks to Camera Dojo about new offerings (video)

Here's the link.

Camera Dojo - Visit with Sigma at PMA 2010
02-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can never own enough 85/1.4 lenses. Trust me on this.

05-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Looks like photozone has an 8-16mm review up --> Link

QuoteQuote:
Verdict
The Sigma AF 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM may be the new star in this lens segment. It's very sharp across the whole range straight from the max. aperture. Lateral CAs are also very well controlled. That's quite an achievement for such an extreme ultra-wide angle zoom lens! If you're into architecture photography you will notice some barrel distortions when using the 8mm setting but that's actually a general problem in this class and at 12mm it shows less distortions than the competition actually. The biggest issue is the amount of vignetting at the widest setting but that's not really a surprise because the inherent amount of natural vignetting is unavoidable at such extreme focal lengths. However, it's still a good idea to avoid the max. aperture to tame the light fall-off to some degree.

The build quality of the Sigma lens is very good although some may not like the vulnerable "bulb"-like front element which prohibits the use of filters. The AF is both fast and nearly silent. The pricing of the Sigma is very attractive relative to its performance figures as well as the extreme nature of the lens. Therefore ... highly recommended (if you can find a good sample)!
05-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #81
Veteran Member

I've had mine on pre-order from Adorama for a while now - hopefully now that Photozone have got their hands on one, mine shouldn't be too far away

I hope it's a good sample, as per their verdict - the one they tested wasn't perfectly centered.
05-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #82
Veteran Member

To be honest, I am waiting for a "OS vs. SR" test. OS best at longer focal lengths, OS ineffective compared to other stabilization system etc.
Regarding the 30/1.4, it's really time now to slap a K-mount on the HSM version. After three "ultrasonic" lenses, I actually have more faith in these than the screw-mount on the 30/1.4, which broke down a month after I got it (stuck at 4 meters). Sigma fixed it in notime, though, they should really get credit for that, but I hope the 30/1.4 follow the other lenses in making one model of a lens, not two. Doubt I will upgrade, though.

05-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #83
Site Supporter

Sigma has had the 85mm f1.4 up on the site for a while but the msrp still isn't there.

85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM - Standard Prime Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

The MSRP for the 8-16mm is $1100 usd

8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM - Wide Angle Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
05-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Adorama's price for the 8-16 is $US699

203109 Sigma 8 - 16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM AutoFocus Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras.
05-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I always imagined that this kind of possibility (OS+SR) would come one day. and in fact it did.
You do not use them together, as mentioned by Sigma. It will make K110D owners happy, though.

But the Bigma with the HSM and OS went up $600 - not good as others are following.
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never. I have purchased three Sigma lenses over the years, and none of them hold up to Pentax glass. I realize that this is not a representative sample, but it's enough for me. I have settled on Pentax / Takumar glass only. It costs too much to buy a Sigma 170-500 only to find out that the image quality from my 30 year old M 400 was twice as good. (The third and last trial).
05-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
DErridale: Adorama's price for the 8-16 is $US699
An excellent lens , at a great price: the Photozone review is much more flattering than I expected. "the distortions @ 12mm onward beat the competition," and the lens' weakness, inherent in extreme WA, is the vignetting @ 8mm, wide open. MTF figures are impressive. I have to believe we are going to see lots of copies of the Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 on the Marketplace, along with some 12-24 f 4.

It is amazing the speed with which technology advances if you ask me. Cudos to the good people over at Sigma!!!
05-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
An excellent lens , at a great price: the Photozone review is much more flattering than I expected. "the distortions @ 12mm onward beat the competition," and the lens' weakness, inherent in extreme WA, is the vignetting @ 8mm, wide open. MTF figures are impressive. I have to believe we are going to see lots of copies of the Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 on the Marketplace, along with some 12-24 f 4.

It is amazing the speed with which technology advances if you ask me. Cudos to the good people over at Sigma!!!
the figures look very compelling and truly tempting. it's a big step up compared to the old 10-20 in terms of resolution and distortion level. and has the 4mm wide and CA/PF control advantage over the Pentax 12-24. HSM would be another great feature. too bad it doesn't work for older Pentax dslr models.

but having such lens I guess will have to wait til next year around May 2011. the 8mm wide is great but I find it short at the long end. I'm very much in need of the 24mm on several occasions as well. 8mm would be perfect for handheld landscape, cityscape and indoor close-corner photography.

I think it would be difficult for some people to choose between 2 lenses and I believe that the owner would be better off having two lenses. 8-16 for the 8mm-14mm shots and the 12-24 for the 16mm-24mm. having said so doesn't necessarily mean that people cannot survive without the 16mm-24mm focal length. just saying that some people don't shoot that much at 20-24mm.

anyway, let's see if I'll be convinced enough to buy this lens as much as I'm convinced in getting the 85mm Sigma. and no, I can't afford to get both lenses right now and my current preference somehow is solidly fixed on the 85mm rather than the 8mm.
05-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
...and no, I can't afford to get both lenses right now and my current preference somehow is solidly fixed on the 85mm rather than the 8mm.

Sigma is going to present a teeth-gnashing choice in a couple of months... an affordable (maybe) AF 85 1.4, or a high-quality 8-16?

(shaking fist at sky) SIIIGMAAAA!!!

05-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor:

I think it would be difficult for some people to choose between 2 lenses and I believe that the owner would be better off having two lenses. 8-16 for the 8mm-14mm shots and the 12-24 for the 16mm-24mm. having said so doesn't necessarily mean that people cannot survive without the 16mm-24mm focal length. just saying that some people don't shoot that much at 20-24mm.
Yes, as you said once before, focal length utility plays a role in ones decision to purchase new glass. I own the Tamron 17-50, along with a great 24mm prime, so this makes it tempting to sell my Sigma 10-20 & pick up the Sigma 8 to 16mm.

However, the LBA budget recently evaporated with the convertible sports car I just picked up and, like you, I want the Sigma 85 1.4. Choices, choices, choices!