Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Questions about the Tamron 90mm Macro

I just pruchased this lens and it doesnt have a manual.. to those who own this lens whats up w/ the AF MF ring? whats the purpose of the AF since when you twist the ring it doesnt do anything? and also when i use the lens will i change the cameras using aperture ring setting to permitted?

02-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote

I just pruchased this lens and it doesnt have a manual.. to those who own this lens whats up w/ the AF MF ring? whats the purpose of the AF since when you twist the ring it doesnt do anything? and also when i use the lens will i change the cameras using aperture ring setting to permitted?
Pull the ring. Set the aperture to A.
02-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #3

90 macro

Manual downloadable at Tamron USA service
02-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Forum Member

Tamron manuals

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
I just pruchased this lens and it doesnt have a manual...
You'll find manuals for all the Tamron lenses here.

The manual for the 90mm 2.8 is here.

RTFM.

02-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As for the ring -- if it is in the Manual position when you are auto-focusing, the focusing ring will turn in your hand as it focuses (not cool). This allows you to put it in AF mode and have something solid to hold. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your second question.
02-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx for the manual's link..

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Pull the ring. Set the aperture to A.
Thx. How can i set the Aperture to A?

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
As for the ring -- if it is in the Manual position when you are auto-focusing, the focusing ring will turn in your hand as it focuses (not cool). This allows you to put it in AF mode and have something solid to hold. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your second question.
What does it mean by
Pictures can be taken even when aperture ring position is other than A?
02-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For the 90mm Tamron sp Di 90mm 2.8 Macro.

If you want to manually focus with it, pull the focus ring towards you, aligning it with the blue line--now you are set for manual focus.

If you want to use it to Auto Focus, push the ring outwards, aligning it with the white, auto focus line.

If you want apertures to be read by your camera body, align the "A" on the aperture ring with the white vertical line.

If you want to use manual stop down metering, say for extension tube work, push the small, black release pin, located just left of the "A," and turn the ring to the desired aperture setting.

Ask, if you have any more questions.
02-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
If you want apertures to be read by your camera body, align the "A" on the aperture ring with the white vertical line.

If you want to use manual stop down metering, say for extension tube work, push the small, black release pin, located just left of the "A," and turn the ring to the desired aperture setting.

Ask, if you have any more questions.
What do u mean by that? Whats the purpose of the aperture ring? isnt it better to use just the A and adjust your desired aperture in the camera?

02-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ru
QuoteQuote:
stynail925: What do u mean by that? Whats the purpose of the aperture ring? isnt it better to use just the A and adjust your desired aperture in the camera?
Excellent question, many extension tubes do not afford you the luxury of transmitting aperture back to the camera body--also, with a bellows. In these kinds of conditions, you need to use stop-down metering. Let me know if the pic at this link helps:

http://enticingthelight.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/bellowsdx71.jpg

Without an aperture ring, in these kinds of conditions, where aperture cannot be transmitted back to the body, you would be have a lens with very little utility.
02-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx for the help
02-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What is the purpose of extension tubes? is it the same w/ a Macro Conversion Lens?
If an extension tube is connected in a macro lens will it focus closer?