Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Oh, that's embarrassing... hmm zoom is a type of lens... right? and I gotta look in my book to find out the proper definition of magnification. I'm sorry. This should have been posted in the beginner's Q and A. ;/
Since you are a student, I'm going to assume that like most others, you're flat broke (or almost). I know when I was a college student finding a dollar that got left in a pocket was a big day. Could buy 4 boxes of yellow death for that then (the boxed macaroni and cheese) generic store brand of course.

I know, you didn't come here to talk about that. Your 50mm f2 isn't a Bad lens, it's just that there were better offerings of the time. The m50 f1.7 and m50 f1.4 to name a couple.. On your film camera an M28 f2.8 is a nice wide angle lens for landscape use.

A Zoom lens is as it's name implies. It will allow you to change focal length to bring a subject closer or push it further away for a wider view.

A Telephoto is a fixed focal length. Very popular in the film days was the 135mm for portrait use. Of course that's not their only use. They were available in all sizes and anything above 50mm was basically considered a Telephoto.

When one thinks of magnification on a lens, they are usually referring to Macro lenses. A 1:1 macro will do life sized reproductions. That is, if you take a photo of a dime (for instance) at 1:1 magnification, it will be exactly the same size on your film frame as in real life. 1:2, it will be half sized. 1:4, 1/4 sized and so on.

When considering other lenses these days you need to be careful that they are indeed meant for full frame (film) cameras for use on your K1000. Pentax (as with most consumer) digital cameras are not full frame but 75% of full frame. Crop factor of 1.5. This is important because newer lenses for digital cameras are designed with this in mind and do not work properly on a full frame camera. Some mistakenly take this crop factor as a lens changing number. That is, on a Pentax digital camera, your 50mm will behave as a 75mm lens. It is still a 50mm lens but with 25 percent of the frame cropped out, you are getting the same view as you would a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera. Also, Many newer lenses do not have Aperture rings and require the camera to control the aperture. Your K1000 will not do this.

The good news of all this is that regardless of which you buy, If you later decide to buy a pentax dslr, all of your lenses will work with it.

02-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ehehe, yeah! Umm... a stupid question here, but since I'm sorta short on budget should I go ebay? I've never bought anything from ebay before, is it trustworthy for buying lenses? or should I go to the store where it seems rather over-priced.
02-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Oops! Not on a film camera

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
kit lens 18-55 is pretty decent. you can set it on a tripod and take different exposures of the same scene or shoot in raw and work on a good post processing software.
The K1000 cannot use any DA lens - no aperture ring, and too small an image circle.
02-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The K1000 cannot use any DA lens - no aperture ring, and too small an image circle.
Oh... ummm he realized after 3 posts that he thought I was refering to a K20 or something ;(

02-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #20

Ehehe, yeah! Umm... a stupid question here, but since I'm sorta short on budget should I go ebay? I've never bought anything from ebay before, is it trustworthy for buying lenses? or should I go to the store where it seems rather over-priced.
Ebay is probably the only place you will be able to find the lenses you are looking for right away. The marketplace here and keh.com will have various lenses, but Ebay is the largest market.

Also the 28 f/2.8 will be more expensive than the f/3.5. Basically, the smaller the listed f number, the greater the max aperture of the lens and the greater the price.

I have bought a used 50mm f/1.4 and my 77 f/1.8 off of ebay with no problems. Just check the prices of auctions that have already closed to get an idea of of average market price, and try to buy a lens at that average. Watch out for auctions with high shipping, sketchy or missing pictures, and sellers with low or poor feedback and you should be fine.
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
Ebay is probably the only place you will be able to find the lenses you are looking for right away. The marketplace here and keh.com will have various lenses, but Ebay is the largest market.

Also the 28 f/2.8 will be more expensive than the f/3.5. Basically, the smaller the listed f number, the greater the max aperture of the lens and the greater the price.

I have bought a used 50mm f/1.4 and my 77 f/1.8 off of ebay with no problems. Just check the prices of auctions that have already closed to get an idea of of average market price, and try to buy a lens at that average. Watch out for auctions with high shipping, sketchy or missing pictures, and sellers with low or poor feedback and you should be fine.
Thank you! I will try my best, I am willing to pay a bit more for a 28 as I will use that the most! I borrowed my friend's and tried it out, I took 3 rolls with it and I seem pretty satisfied. I know I'll be using this for a long time. Yeah there are a lot of sellers, ebay can be a bit confusing... I'm sure I can trust most of the people here.
02-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Depends on your point of view. Ebay ( I would check pentaxforums marketplace first), is definitely the largest market. The upside is that if you know what you're looking for and at, bargains can be found. The downside is you're relying on someone else's description as to condition, mechanical reliability, ect. Used lenses on ebay are Rarely one owner. It's likely changed hands several times so you'll never know the true history of it. This of course is true regardless of the marketplace format. Know what if any accessories or attachments are really needed to make use of an item. The Pentax Bellows units for example have an adapter that must be used in order to mount the camera to the unit. They sometimes get left on the camera somewhere or lost, making the bellows useless.

1. Unless you know exactly what you are looking at, do not buy from anyone who prefaces the ad stating "I know nothing about cameras". Typically they've done enough research to have a clue on pricing. Some do not and ask 10 times going rate but they are pretty easy to spot, and avoid.

2. Stay away from sellers (again, unless you know what you're looking at) that cannot post a clean clear photo. Not some crap photo taken with a cell phone from 15 feet away (yes, those bug me the most).

3. Ask questions. If a seller can't be bothered to answer questions, he/she/it can't be bothered to take your money.

4. Try and buy from a local seller. It may help if something goes wrong and you have to return an item. Also, in Canada, (don't know the breakpoints), there is typically an import duty for buying from the USA (for example). Henry's is always selling used stuff on ebay.

5. NEVER get yourself into a bidding war. The lens or other item you're looking at isn't the last one. I use Auctionsniper.com. It automatically places my bid 3 seconds before end. I'm certain I've pissed off more than one person doing that. Don't care. That does 2 things for me. Keeps me from paying more than I want to and the 3 second clock negates any opportunity for me to up my bid if it wasn't enough. I Never place an early bid. It only gives other bidders something to chip away at. My goal is to get a bargain, not be the dickhead who drove up the price.

6. If you are unsure of the going value of a used item, you can scan the completed listings from the last 30 days to get an idea.

7. When considering your price, also factor in shipping. Be aware of "Free Shipping". It Is NOT free and chances are it's buried in the opening price (or buy it now price). Consider what it's going to cost you to get it past customs and satisfy your government for VAT (or whatever they call it up there).

8. DO NOT assume it to be the seller's responsibility to know all the hidden charges that may be tacked on (customs, VAT, etc), it is yours alone.

Buying Locally, hand on item, don't have to outbid someone to get it, no duties, possibly no VAT (I really don't know about that one), you can evaluate condition in person, try it out, etc.

Your first order of business either way is to educate yourself as to the actual value of what you're looking for. Be aware that there are several versions of a given 3rd party lens. The Vivitar 70-210 is a prime example. I think there are probably 10 different ones, made at different times, by different companies, all wearing the Vivitar badge. They are NOT however, all created equal.

You can also go to Adorama.com, BandHphotovideo.com, KEH.com in search of used stuff. They are often priced over the going ebay market but you can get some sense that at least they know what they are selling.

Good luck.