Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it me or?

In every my shot i see a CA no mater what lens i use. Maybe it's me or maybe it's k20d sensor, trying not to blame the glass...

02-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It's the glass.
However, any decent raw converter has a CA adjustment built in, so there is no reason to tolerate it.
02-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh ok that's that's a relive. Still the funny thing I see CA not only on my shots but on others too and in TV, movies.
02-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why not post a sample so we can tell you if you are expecting too much

there are two things to look for in terms of CA, one is typically green on one side and violet on the other side of out of focus detail, this is lateral CA the other is green halo for out of focus behind the focal point and violet halo in front of the focal point this is longitudinal CA.

some lenses have one some have the other some have both.

02-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

is your contrast set too high on your camera setting?
02-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Igilligan

I curse the first

I curse the first person who explained to me what PF/CA was and how it was all over one of my photographs...

Up until that day I had never had an issue with PF... once it was pointed out, I saw it in just about every shot I had taken with my P&S...

Bastards!!!!
02-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You could start looking at the whole image rather than (just one of possibly many) the flaws in the image.

Technical perfection != perfect image.

02-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
In every my shot i see a CA no mater what lens i use. Maybe it's me or maybe it's k20d sensor, trying not to blame the glass...
Hi i83N,

It's no just you -- I see it all the time too, especially on TV live broadcasts, like the news broadcasts. The really strange thing is that I get a yearly retinal exam to see if my diabetes is doing any damage. They have to dilate my pupils, and in that state, I see purple fringing everywhere. . . pretty wierd,

Scott
02-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I notice PF a lot of TV shows, and many photos, except when I use the Voigtlander 180/4 ;-)
02-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
I notice PF a lot of TV shows, and many photos, except when I use the Voigtlander 180/4 ;-)
I notice a lot of white balance issues on TV. And I cringe everytime I see orange filtered sky.
02-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Xmm is more blu and magenta CA i see.
I work with RAW only so the cam settings won't effect it.
I'll put samples later.
02-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's the glass.
However, any decent raw converter has a CA adjustment built in, so there is no reason to tolerate it.
I've heard this many times but I have close to zero luck in correcting CA with Lightroom. I've played with the sliders and occasionally it helps a little, but rarely. Most of the time, it does nothing. Defringing occasionally helps with controlling PF, but it can't compete with the purple you get out of the 10-17mm fisheye, for example. If there's some magic "fix CA" button that I've been missing, I'd sure love to hear about it!

If it gets really bothersome, I will often use an adjustment brush and drop saturation on the edges, this effectively turns the color from purple to gray, which is a lot less distracting since most examples of PF will happen with an almost white edge next to an almost black edge.