Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2006, 07:11 PM   #1

What are some good old cheap MF lenses?

Is there some sort of database or something where I can find sharp, older Pentax lenses on the cheap?

11-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KEH.com has a few left, but people have plundered their shelves over the last few months.

Ebay is your other alternative

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-26-2006, 02:56 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fuzzybabybunny Quote
Is there some sort of database or something where I can find sharp, older Pentax lenses on the cheap?
Adorama sells used lenses too:

Used

Some are offered here:

Pentax User Classifieds

Holger
11-26-2006, 05:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're looking for results with lenses, I use them a lot and post them into a gellery by lens. Feel free to check them out here:
Equipment Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com

I prefer the M42 lenses because it is simple to work with them in stop-down mode. I also like the pre-autofocus A lenses because you can control the aperture via the scroll wheel.
I don't get along with M or K lenses too well because you need to click an extra button in order to meter, which I find a bit awkward.

--Sean

11-26-2006, 08:56 AM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

i've had excellent results buying on ebay. just be sure what you are buying and ask the seller anything you want to know that was not stated in the auction. if they do not reply, i walk away.. you need to research for info about lenses. also what they usually sell for. i've seen bidding frenzies that i just can't believe. a couple of good sites are
Stan's Pentax Photography
Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page
Third Party Lenses Resource Megasite Home Page
don't get lost if you visit the last link. you can spend days there.
11-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #6

I have very good luck on ebay. Just be sure you know what you are buying, and don't forget to ask questions of the seller. Just purchased a A50, 1.7 prime lens for $23.00 including shipping. All auto functions work on my Pentax ist DS except for focus, which to me "ain't" no big deal!

wipearl
11-28-2006, 05:47 AM   #7

Re: What are some good old cheap MF lenses?

To check ratings of older lenses I often visit:

SPLOSdb: jcolwell.ca - SPLOSdb
and
Photodo: Lens search

/sh

11-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks guys! Being a newbie to Pentax stuff, I'm finding it overwhelming looking at all the different lenses and not knowing if one of them's good or not. Thanks for the resources
11-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
If you're looking for results with lenses, I use them a lot and post them into a gellery by lens. Feel free to check them out here:
Equipment Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com

I prefer the M42 lenses because it is simple to work with them in stop-down mode. I also like the pre-autofocus A lenses because you can control the aperture via the scroll wheel.
I don't get along with M or K lenses too well because you need to click an extra button in order to meter, which I find a bit awkward.

--Sean
WoW, nice collection you got there. Like the way you have wach lens with example shots.
11-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

There are a ton of good used lenses out there. IMHO, it's what makes Pentax such a bargain as a camera system.

One lens I'll recommend is a 135mm prime. I have 2 right now (need to sell one). One is a Takumar (made by Asahi-Pentax) 135mm/f2.5 fully manual lens. The other is a Pentax SMC-A 135mm/f2.8 ("A" designation means auto aperture). You can find similar lenses on ebay for well under $100, usually around $60-75. I actually bought a Sears multicoated 135mm/f2.8 lens at a camera show for $5 and it was a nice performer. I sold it to a student for the same $5.

135mm on your camera equates to about 200mm, which is a reasonable telephoto. The f2.8 means it's pretty fast, so you can take low light shots. For the money, it's a fun, useful lens. I think it would make a great concert lens unless you're shooting from the rafters.

I tend to just buy things without a real plan. The smarter path would probably be to avoid buying some much and focus on getting one nicer lens, like a 300mm/f4 telephoto. But I've had fun with the lenses I've bought, so I guess it's okay.

Here's the example I always post of a shot with my Pentax 135/f2.8 taken at an NBA game. ISO200, f4.0, 1/160sec. I was at the other end of the floor about 20 rows up, so I got pretty good reach.

Last edited by rfortson; 11-30-2006 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added 135mm example photo