Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winnie Quote
Well, you've been here long enough to where you'd know. I checked the lens database and the average is $40. But then again, the prices paid are anywhere from $15 to $100.
Right - especially on Ebay, there is a lot of variation from auction to auction, presumably because there are just so many of them out there. Looking at the most recent completed auctions for this lens, I see the prices ranging from $50 to $90 for the most part, with it only occasionally going for under $50. But since the lens comes up for sale so often, if you're in no hurry, it's easy enough to be choosy.

I bought one on Ebay for under $30, got another from a fellow dpr poster in a trade for a CD (or as I like to say, literally for a song!), but KEH's prices at the time were closer to $100 (depending on condition) just like they are now. If you don't mind taking your chances via Ebay and having just a little patience, this is definitely a lens where it is very easy to beat the dealer rates. So I'd agree there is no reason to pay $70 for the lens - I should have been more clear about that.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 03-08-2010 at 12:28 PM.
03-10-2010, 05:01 AM   #32
Forum Member

The prices are going up due to increased demand.
The digital system cameras are becoming more affordable and people are recognizing the advantages of old lenses with these new cameras.

Economy is going up - people spend more.
Heck, I've followed the price of sample A50 f1.2.
Three years ago it was $200 , now it's up to $500 and over a couple of weeks the price has climbed to a new average of $510.

A combination of the causes listed above, but also expect the price to go up as fewer of these lenses will go up on ebay (more and more rare).

Sure, for other lenses you may still be able to find some lenses that are sold on localized ebay versions. Or when the seller put it up on a bad time (before salaries, tax returns etc). But over time the prices will increase. This has also got to do with inflation (dollar is worth less aswell) vs the price you can fetch for these lenses on foreign markets.