Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #1

what's going on with the lens prices?

I've started looking for adding various lenses and read that there's a big price hike on many, if not most, of the Pentax lenses. It used to be a good argument that Pentax costs less than Canikon to own, mostly due to the lower prices for glass. However, I see that the prices went berserk. EBay is full of Tokyo/Hong Kong sellers with DA lenses. Amazon and BH Photo and Adorama gleefully joined the price cabal. Many lenses are out of stock everywhere. The 31mm Limited is at $1,100 or more.

What's going on, people? If the lenses are going out of production, how stable is the whole brand? Do we risk being left in the cold with unsupported cameras and lenses? Or is it a normal situation -- did it ever happen in the Canikon world?

From what I see, this is a shameless plot to part the fans from their money. Does Pentax create a shortage intentionally?

02-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW every brand is experiencing some raised prices lately
02-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Ive been shopping the last couple of days For a good deal and there hasn't been one, The prices have moved up in the last couple of weeks and i think thats because People are getting there income tax money!!!!!!! People are just bidding like crazy on ebay ... I'll just wait it out till the gold rush is over....
02-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Nope. It's me. I'm, like a huge jinx or something.
I finally buy a house and a year later my house is worth 3/4 of what I paid.
I buy a Pentax camera and a few months later all the lenses cost more than my camera.

It's me, Dude.

-sorry.

02-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #5

LOL Winnie.

Hey, did you ever get your Pentax M42 adapter? I just got mine tonite. Mounted up the Auto Rikenon 55 f/1.4 and am having a blast.
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You might want to browse the dozens of other thread on this topic over the last year or so. In the US where I see you live, the average Pentax lens price went up about 20% about that time. Some went up much more, some went up much less, but on average, the US increase has pretty much matched the decline of the dollar against the yen.
02-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From the rumors I've heard, Japanese police bought out all the DA* 16-50 and 50-135's so you won't be seeing them back in stock for awhile. As for the FA Limiteds, it's bound to go up in price.

02-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
What's going on?
I wonder about that myself. Soon after I started with Pentax a little over a year ago, I remember a local seller offering FA43 and FA77 together, used and in excellent condition, for around $700 but the deal fell through over some petty stuff.

Now, most FA77s are alone selling for that price. Go figure. I believe its all supply and demand.

If everyone held back from these limiteds and DA* lenses for long enough, may be some of us can afford them again
02-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You might want to browse the dozens of other thread on this topic over the last year or so. In the US where I see you live, the average Pentax lens price went up about 20% about that time. Some went up much more, some went up much less, but on average, the US increase has pretty much matched the decline of the dollar against the yen.
Marc -- what you say makes a lot of sense, I forgot about the weakening of the yen. It would be it, and for a second you had me there, except... it's out of stock!
02-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
LOL Winnie.

Hey, did you ever get your Pentax M42 adapter? I just got mine tonite. Mounted up the Auto Rikenon 55 f/1.4 and am having a blast.
Thanks for remembering.
I contacted the supplier and they honorably sent me a new M42 adapter.
I've taken some great shots with the Super Tak 1.4, and then I also bought a M 50 1.7, which I tend to use more now.
I'm debating 'fixing' the adapter to the Super lens so I don't have to mess with it.

The first adapter never did show up.
02-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #11

I'm in the UK, and in June last year I looked at buying a DA 70 from the importer.
They happened to be out of stock, so when the opportunity came up in early February this year, I tried again and saved £20 on the June price.
02-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
From the rumors I've heard, Japanese police bought out all the DA* 16-50 and 50-135's so you won't be seeing them back in stock for awhile. As for the FA Limiteds, it's bound to go up in price.
With all the SDM issues they must be using them as clubs or torture devices!

Nice to see it is not only the US govt that wastes so much money...
02-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
With all the SDM issues they must be using them as clubs or torture devices!
They must be doing this before they re-sell them. Must be the reason for all the failures.
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I wonder about that myself. Soon after I started with Pentax a little over a year ago, I remember a local seller offering FA43 and FA77 together, used and in excellent condition, for around $700 but the deal fell through over some petty stuff.

Now, most FA77s are alone selling for that price. Go figure. I believe its all supply and demand.

If everyone held back from these limiteds and DA* lenses for long enough, may be some of us can afford them again
My FA77 is probably worth more now than when I bought it two years ago.
02-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
My FA77 is probably worth more now than when I bought it two years ago.
I hope it is... my FA 50 1.4 apparently is worth over twice what I paid for it.

Hopefully it will soon be worth enough that I can trade it for a FA 77