Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hanover, NH
Posts: 156
what's going on with the lens prices?

I've started looking for adding various lenses and read that there's a big price hike on many, if not most, of the Pentax lenses. It used to be a good argument that Pentax costs less than Canikon to own, mostly due to the lower prices for glass. However, I see that the prices went berserk. EBay is full of Tokyo/Hong Kong sellers with DA lenses. Amazon and BH Photo and Adorama gleefully joined the price cabal. Many lenses are out of stock everywhere. The 31mm Limited is at $1,100 or more.

What's going on, people? If the lenses are going out of production, how stable is the whole brand? Do we risk being left in the cold with unsupported cameras and lenses? Or is it a normal situation -- did it ever happen in the Canikon world?

From what I see, this is a shameless plot to part the fans from their money. Does Pentax create a shortage intentionally?

02-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
FWIW every brand is experiencing some raised prices lately
02-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Haven,CT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 18
Ive been shopping the last couple of days For a good deal and there hasn't been one, The prices have moved up in the last couple of weeks and i think thats because People are getting there income tax money!!!!!!! People are just bidding like crazy on ebay ... I'll just wait it out till the gold rush is over....
02-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 93
Nope. It's me. I'm, like a huge jinx or something.
I finally buy a house and a year later my house is worth 3/4 of what I paid.
I buy a Pentax camera and a few months later all the lenses cost more than my camera.

It's me, Dude.

-sorry.

02-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 127
LOL Winnie.

Hey, did you ever get your Pentax M42 adapter? I just got mine tonite. Mounted up the Auto Rikenon 55 f/1.4 and am having a blast.
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
You might want to browse the dozens of other thread on this topic over the last year or so. In the US where I see you live, the average Pentax lens price went up about 20% about that time. Some went up much more, some went up much less, but on average, the US increase has pretty much matched the decline of the dollar against the yen.
02-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,904
From the rumors I've heard, Japanese police bought out all the DA* 16-50 and 50-135's so you won't be seeing them back in stock for awhile. As for the FA Limiteds, it's bound to go up in price.
02-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: National Capital Region
Posts: 738
QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
What's going on?
I wonder about that myself. Soon after I started with Pentax a little over a year ago, I remember a local seller offering FA43 and FA77 together, used and in excellent condition, for around $700 but the deal fell through over some petty stuff.

Now, most FA77s are alone selling for that price. Go figure. I believe its all supply and demand.

If everyone held back from these limiteds and DA* lenses for long enough, may be some of us can afford them again

02-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hanover, NH
Posts: 156
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You might want to browse the dozens of other thread on this topic over the last year or so. In the US where I see you live, the average Pentax lens price went up about 20% about that time. Some went up much more, some went up much less, but on average, the US increase has pretty much matched the decline of the dollar against the yen.
Marc -- what you say makes a lot of sense, I forgot about the weakening of the yen. It would be it, and for a second you had me there, except... it's out of stock!
02-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 93
QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
LOL Winnie.

Hey, did you ever get your Pentax M42 adapter? I just got mine tonite. Mounted up the Auto Rikenon 55 f/1.4 and am having a blast.
Thanks for remembering.
I contacted the supplier and they honorably sent me a new M42 adapter.
I've taken some great shots with the Super Tak 1.4, and then I also bought a M 50 1.7, which I tend to use more now.
I'm debating 'fixing' the adapter to the Super lens so I don't have to mess with it.

The first adapter never did show up.
02-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
Junior Member
tenpointnine's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 43
I'm in the UK, and in June last year I looked at buying a DA 70 from the importer.
They happened to be out of stock, so when the opportunity came up in early February this year, I tried again and saved 20 on the June price.
02-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
Igilligan
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
From the rumors I've heard, Japanese police bought out all the DA* 16-50 and 50-135's so you won't be seeing them back in stock for awhile. As for the FA Limiteds, it's bound to go up in price.
With all the SDM issues they must be using them as clubs or torture devices!

Nice to see it is not only the US govt that wastes so much money...
02-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 233
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
With all the SDM issues they must be using them as clubs or torture devices!
They must be doing this before they re-sell them. Must be the reason for all the failures.
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I wonder about that myself. Soon after I started with Pentax a little over a year ago, I remember a local seller offering FA43 and FA77 together, used and in excellent condition, for around $700 but the deal fell through over some petty stuff.

Now, most FA77s are alone selling for that price. Go figure. I believe its all supply and demand.

If everyone held back from these limiteds and DA* lenses for long enough, may be some of us can afford them again
My FA77 is probably worth more now than when I bought it two years ago.
02-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
Igilligan
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
My FA77 is probably worth more now than when I bought it two years ago.
I hope it is... my FA 50 1.4 apparently is worth over twice what I paid for it.


Hopefully it will soon be worth enough that I can trade it for a FA 77
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
canikon, k-mount, lenses, pentax, pentax lens, price, prices, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have lens prices gone up lately? switters Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 11-28-2009 05:41 PM
Lens prices Leya216 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 09-06-2009 01:46 PM
Sigma lens prices ??? tmacdon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 05-01-2009 08:06 PM
Lens Prices mhertel Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 08-06-2008 01:42 PM
Lens prices in Germany? Bostjan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 04-15-2007 02:00 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top