Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hehe, there are a lot of people on here, yeah this is true, I shouldn't waste your time when I can get it from a book, but I should instead, ask questions that are really debatable and I cannot get a straight answer out of a book. Thank you Ben! I'll read more on it! I was just really excited as I just got into it and just joined the pentax forums. Thanks guys for taking the time to answer my questions. I also wanted to get to know some people on the forums. Should have been in a general chat place or something.

02-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Hehe, there are a lot of people on here, yeah this is true, I shouldn't waste your time when I can get it from a book, but I should instead, ask questions that are really debatable and I cannot get a straight answer out of a book. Thank you Ben! I'll read more on it! I was just really excited as I just got into it and just joined the pentax forums. Thanks guys for taking the time to answer my questions. I also wanted to get to know some people on the forums. Should have been in a general chat place or something.
That's some pretty sound advice from Ben
I might just suggest that a nice way to get to know some of the members here is to post some of your photos in the 'post your photos' section, and to comment on other people's photos.

Have fun, I like your enthusiasm!
02-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Excitment is the best precondition for photography. I relly think goddo31 is very right. Just post the odd photograph and also comment on others images and you'll fast be a part of our community. I guess, you already are.

Ben
02-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hehe thanks guys! I like this community too! Pentax users are awesome! I will try to upload some photos, but I have either a compact digital camera.... or my K1000 which might be a problem to upload. OPTEX 35MM FILM AND SLIDE SCANNER would something like that do the trick?

02-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hehe thanks guys! I like this community too! Pentax users are awesome! I will try to upload some photos, but I have either a compact digital camera.... or my K1000 which might be a problem to upload. OPTEX 35MM FILM AND SLIDE SCANNER would something like that do the trick?
This scanner might be good enough for web posting. Otherwise it really marks the low end of scanning. For black and white negs, unfortunately the scanner needs to be quite good, to deliver really good results. For fast sample scanning of colour negs, the Optex might do. Perhaps you would be better served with the rush scans many labs do for little money, when you get the film developped?

Ben
03-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
This scanner might be good enough for web posting. Otherwise it really marks the low end of scanning. For black and white negs, unfortunately the scanner needs to be quite good, to deliver really good results. For fast sample scanning of colour negs, the Optex might do. Perhaps you would be better served with the rush scans many labs do for little money, when you get the film developped?

Ben
Oh, yeah that's right! I forgot! many places now do convert film into digital... but I wasn't sure how good quality they do it in though. I'll try that for my good films ;P. Thanks again.
03-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #22

Since this thread is named "49mm Filters," I can't help using it on-topic after everybody recommends various brands but not Tiffen. Tiffen is the US filter maker heavily present on the Amazon. I use their UV filters with quite satisfactory results so far. Is there any adverse opinion against it?

03-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
Since this thread is named "49mm Filters," I can't help using it on-topic after everybody recommends various brands but not Tiffen. Tiffen is the US filter maker heavily present on the Amazon. I use their UV filters with quite satisfactory results so far. Is there any adverse opinion against it?
Tiffen uses poor coatings and often enough there filters are completely uncoated. I think, that is the reason, why they are never really recommended.

Ben
03-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Read "Nature Photography" by Tim Fitzharris. I bought a few Singh-Ray ND grad hard step filters as outlined in the book and consider them to an easier way (for me) to manage lighting conditions rather than trying to bracket and adjusting them in processing. Take some of his comments with a grain of salt though....for example, I won't be using duct tape on my camera...
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Read "Nature Photography" by Tim Fitzharris. I bought a few Singh-Ray ND grad hard step filters as outlined in the book and consider them to an easier way (for me) to manage lighting conditions rather than trying to bracket and adjusting them in processing. Take some of his comments with a grain of salt though....for example, I won't be using duct tape on my camera...
LOL yeah! I'll check that out too, I have currently about 5 books on my list to check out at the book store... gotta see them soon!