Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now that it is gone I miss my F28/2.8 very much, when I had it I hardly used it.

P.S:

I tested the same image with my FA43 and FA77 at f2.

Manual focused with LV max. magnification.

FA77
The first image was too soft, must have made a mistake so did another image and that is sharper but I got heavy PF, much of which disappeared when uploaded to flickr (?)

FA43

FA24 again

Last edited by pcarfan; 02-27-2010 at 02:00 PM.
02-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Now that it is gone I miss my F28/2.8 very much, when I had it I hardly used it.
Yea, to me, the F28 is a pleasant surprise every time I use it. It doesn't scream quality like the * and Ltd lenses do, but I have never been disappointed with the results. Although I don't use it all that much, I'm reluctant to let it go because I know I got a good copy and as is made clear by this thread, getting good copies of lenses that are no longer produced can prove difficult and frustrating. Heck, it can even be difficult to get good copies of some new lenses.
02-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Well, I guess we all have similar primes collection
For primes, besides FA*24/2, I also have the F28/2.8, FA 43, & FA 77m and several 50mm s.

Jim, I took the test to match your test object which is a shipping label from a box.
But I think I agree with you to have it checked with Pentax. It seems not normal.
The shot by Pcarfan also show some ghosting but not as bad as yours.
Well, let's see what Pentax will say about it. I hope it's just a minor adjustment.
I can feel your pain because I know how hard it is to get the FA*24/2.
Let me know if you still need me to do another test.

Regarding the F28/2.8, I guess we all have the same mixed feeling. I don't use it that often but somehow every time I want to sell it, I just take some shots with it and so satisfied with the result. So I never got to sell this little gem. Like you said, it's not limited nor FA* but F28 is an amazing lens. It is sharp, fast focus, no pf etc.
02-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(I first uploaded the wrong image for the 43, fixed it now)

The F 28/2.8 is an awesome lens. At times it looks so good on the LCD that I have tested it against the limiteds to see whether the limiteds are any better. They are, but it says a lot that I actually was wondering whether they were.

24/2 is very nice as well. The best part is the focal length and the f2. IMO, Optically it is not the same standard as the FA limiteds. But, we are looking at 100% crops here, and to me two shots taken with the same lens look quite different at 100%. But, the 100% crop from the 43 is as good as downsized images from most lenses, it truly is a remarkable lens.

Any how, for sake of completion, here is the whole image to show bokeh and rendering.

FA*24

FA43

FA77

Last edited by pcarfan; 02-28-2010 at 08:18 AM.
03-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just as an update. I sent my lens to Pentax for repairs (actually C.R.I.S. handles it now). They got my lens and I showed them my samples, and agreed that something was not right. They are taking my money to perform a repair, so hopefully they will be able to get it working like it is supposed to again.

I'll report back once I get my lens back in 2 or 3 weeks.