Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #1

What lens

I have a K-200. I'm looking for a lens for some wildlife close-ups. It seems that prices have really jumped since I bought the camera, so I'm looking at Sigma, Tamron, & Vivitar lens, none of which are exactly cheap either. For what I'm wanting to do which lens would y'all recommend & why?

02-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At least 200mm focal length, 300mm is better. Although I love primes, I prefer a telezoom for wildlife. Game can be either far away or be quite close to you, so therefore the zoom.

My experience is with 200mm on a filmbody and it does not really cut it; with the crop factor of APSc sensors, 200mm gives a field of view of a 300mm which is already better. I have the DA55-300 but still have to take it for a gamedrive.
02-24-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Depends how much you want to spend - at the least the DA 55-300 would give you good results, but only in decent light, or the many MF offerings of 400+mm lenses you can find around which will do the job for you for a good price. The good super-telezooms (mostly from Sigma) all go for over $1000, so if that's your budget, I'd suggest giving them a test drive (check them out on the forum's lens review database).

Hope this helps.
02-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check the longer lenses in the M lens forum. There are several of us using M 400/5.6 lenses with quite good results. They usually run in the 3-500 dollar range.

02-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
500 f6.3 mirror from Adorama is $160 :-) It has some limitations, but it's 500mm, light, compact and $160.

Sigma had a 600 f8 in the old days that was not bad, but it was about $350 if I remember correctly.
02-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'll check the Adorama site. I checked Abe's 1st since they treated me right when I bought the camera. One of the reasons I went with Pentax Is that I have several manual lenses from my K 1000 bodies. I've been doing alright with the manual lenses but want 1 decent auto lens.

Last edited by rober; 02-25-2010 at 12:01 AM.