Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
28mm just isn't very exciting focal lenght on crop digital.
I don't understand all these quotes about certain focal lengths being boring or out of fashion. I thought we used focal lengths to capture the amount of a scene we needed, not because it was this week's hippest thing? Otherwise why not give up photography completely? After all, every focal length has been done to death by now.

Me, I find 24-28mm on APS-C to be one of the most useful focal length ranges. I use my DA12-24mm mostly at 24mm. I have a Kiron 24mm f/2 that is very nice to take out as a compact walk-around lens.

And I have heard rumours that I might have one or two 28mm primes as well.

Why?

Because you can get a very nice field of view in a very compact lens that is perfect for street shooting, landscapes and more besides. Just set the hyperfocal distance and forget about it. This is something you cannot do with a zoom.

And the IQ will be better in low light.

02-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I see. I haven't had any experience with any Panagor lenses. there are a lot of them for sale but I never bought one since I'm highly doubtful of their IQ.
Panagor is a brand name used by Kino Precision/Kiron. I think it's less common in the US. They have good and bad lenses. I wouldn't be excited about an 80-200 f4.5 or a 3X TC from them. I really like my Panagor 90mm f2.8 macro.
02-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #33
Veteran Member

lars, did you do the test at minimum focusing distance as for comparison or did you also do a series of tests at varying focusing distance as well?
Distance to focus point was 1.5m (approx 5 feet?). So, it's not at minimum focal distance. I will try focusing at infinity after work.

Kind regards
.lars
02-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
Distance to focus point was 1.5m (approx 5 feet?). So, it's not at minimum focal distance. I will try focusing at infinity after work.

Kind regards
.lars
thanks lars. I suppose you cropped the images then, right?

02-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #35

I like my 28mm/2.8 Panagor
Cathedral of St. Michel
02-26-2010, 02:09 AM   #36
Veteran Member

thanks lars. I suppose you cropped the images then, right?
Yes.
The kit lens was set to 28mm so it was easy to compare with the K28.

With DA 40 it was more difficult. At first I changed distance to get the exact same framing as the 28mm lenses. However, I also did a second round where I shot from the same distance as the 28mm lenses (which of course resulted in a bigger picture of the test object).

Kind regards
.lars
02-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #37

Original Poster
Wow, I've stirred things up quite a bit I guess. Didn't expect that, but it's always fun to read the responses
I think I'll keep one of the two lenses, perhaps I'll learn to like it and otherwise I can sell it anyways. Heck, I could always use it on my ME Super, when I get to shooting a few rolls of film with that.

As far as my primes go I guess I'm just too much in loving with my SMC-M 50mm f1.7 because of it's speed, DOF and sharpness. Perhaps I've gotten too used to the field of view it delivers, although when I look at the EXIFs of photos shot with my kit lense I'm also mostly in the 18-35mm range or at 55mm. Perhaps a normal is too journalistic for my taste? I'll go and force myself to shoot more with the 28mm to find out.
@Horst-Helmut: That looks good, sharp and colourful. Now I come to think of it, the color rendition is quite like my 28mm macro.

In the mean time I should figure out which one to keep. These are the two lenses in question by the way, do they look familiar to any of you?

EDIT: These were taking with the 18-55 at f/6.7 by the way and I'm very pleasantly surprised by the sharpness and colour rendition. The RAW files needed almost no editing, just correction of white balance since I never bother to set that in-camera.

Last edited by Lauke_101; 02-26-2010 at 10:54 AM.
02-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Took me a while to warm to 28mm on APS-C too - and it's not like I'm jaded from tons of shooting "normal" lenses on film. I had an off-brand 28 someone gave me, but it wasn't overly impressive, so I never used it. But eventually I discovered I really was shooting my zoom in the 24-30 range a lot, so I was lucky enough to get a much better 28 for literally a song (I traded it for one of my CD's).

02-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lauke_101 Quote
In the mean time I should figure out which one to keep. These are the two lenses in question by the way, do they look familiar to any of you?
The top one has the same style as my macro lens. There may be a Vivitar relative of these designs.

A 28mm lens often looks just a bit wider to me than I want in a normal lens. I tend to choose my FA35/2 instead. On film I never used anything wider than 35mm, so my idea of "wide" is not mainstream. I also have had too many 28mm lenses without settling on just one.

QuoteQuote:
EDIT: These were taking with the 18-55 at f/6.7 by the way and I'm very pleasantly surprised by the sharpness and colour rendition. The RAW files needed almost no editing, just correction of white balance since I never bother to set that in-camera.
The DA 18-55 is the best lens I have for this type of photo. If I get closer, I usually need +1 exposure compensation - the light meter has trouble with the black lens/white background.
02-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
A 28mm lens often looks just a bit wider to me than I want in a normal lens. I tend to choose my FA35/2 instead. On film I never used anything wider than 35mm, so my idea of "wide" is not mainstream.
Is the first part of this quote related to APS-C? For me 35mm on APS-C is too "inbetweeny" but 28mm is a nice wide-ish angle. On film, though, 35mm is very nice.

I also have had too many 28mm lenses without settling on just one.
Me too. :-)
02-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
I like those generalities, RioRico, especially these:

Heck, I may pin those up on the wall somewhere around here.

"f/8 and be there." I like it. Especially the "be there" part. . . .
I just did !
02-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #42
Pentaxian

A 28mm lens often looks just a bit wider to me than I want in a normal lens. I tend to choose my FA35/2 instead. On film I never used anything wider than 35mm, so my idea of "wide" is not mainstream.
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Is the first part of this quote related to APS-C? For me 35mm on APS-C is too "inbetweeny" but 28mm is a nice wide-ish angle. On film, though, 35mm is very nice.
I was thinking of 28mm on APS-C. I look at the viewfinder and it often looks wider than I thought. If I leave the 28mm on the camera for a while, I get used to it. I guess "inbetweeny" describes how 28mm feels to me. I feel like I married the perfect woman at 35mm, but I'm still casually dating at 28mm.
02-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Dave, thanks for clarifying. It is great we all have different preferences, otherwise our photos would look much the same!
02-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Focal length is really personal preference. I'm not a big fan of 28mm (and 50mm and 135mm) on APS-C either, but on full frame it's really nice.

I prefer 24mm for aps-C. I should start saving for the DA 12-24, then maybe I can ditch my sigma :P
02-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #45
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Focal length is really personal preference. I'm not a big fan of 28mm (and 50mm and 135mm) on APS-C either, but on full frame it's really nice.

I prefer 24mm for aps-C. I should start saving for the DA 12-24, then maybe I can ditch my sigma :P
I'm also a huge fan of that FL on film, but I don't seem to have as much use as I thought for it on APS-C. When I look back at my zoom shots, I don't see much that is really close to 28mm, either.