Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #16
efg

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

Along with all the others posted, these are just what I need. My favorite subject is people. I want to see bright sharp faces with that wonderful hard to explain quality that makes it feel like the person is really in the photo and you are seeing beyond the surface. Really nice shots!

02-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #17
efg

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
Shoot. Now that's one more lens I have to budget for.

Maybe that $1000/year isn't enough.
Nooooooooo!
02-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #18
Forum Member

It doesn't get any better for (relatively) inexpensive people shooting. I sold my DA40 because I thought my 28-75 was just as good wide open. As long as you've got a decent copy, this is just a terrific lens.
02-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are sooooooo gonna love the Tammy... I use mine for 90% of my studio work now and it perfomed perfectly for the shots I posted recently in Not Work-Safe : Female Fine Art Nudes - NSFW (which I don't feel comfortable posting here w/o the NSFW disclaimer).

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 02-25-2010 at 09:45 AM.
02-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by efg Quote

Well for me it's a lot. This is more than I've ever even spent on a camera until I bought the Kx. Also the guilt because I haven't told the husband. He would NOT understand since I just convinced him that the Kx is all I'd ever need.
welcome to the world of LBA. I don't know if you'll get over the addiction or decide to sell your gear in the future when or if you lose your interest in photography.

anyway, you might want to read this one >>> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/other-pentax-related-topics/77018-omg-i-spent-how-much.html

and choose which bracket you want to be?

for the record, you'll see a lot of them have symptoms much worse than what you have.
02-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Tamron 28-75 2.8 - a classic.

Good d-normal to mid telephoto range on aps-c, and it's full-frame capable, so if Pentax ever goes there, so do you.

02-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Lots of killer shots in this thread. The Tammy 28-75 has to be one of the sleeper bargains of the last decade.

jsherman999- those daisies look good enough to eat!

02-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Pinholecam: My grandmother at 96. She insists on a 'formal' pose whenever here photo is taken
Your grandmother is beautiful!!! The picture is extraordinary.

Long live LBA!
02-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #24

One of the best photographic items I've ever spent, along with an external flash. Moving from variable aperture slow zooms to this lens was a complete revelation. Superbly suited for event/people photography.
02-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Great range, wide aperture, great price... what more can you ask? be sure to check for decentereing / BF/ FF though. Mine has slight BF at 75mm close focus, but for portrait purposes it's my to go lens sooo versatile

If I dont have FA 35 this lens would probably never leave the camera. Oops, maybe I shouldn't have said that?
02-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #26
efg

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JasonA Quote
It doesn't get any better for (relatively) inexpensive people shooting. I sold my DA40 because I thought my 28-75 was just as good wide open. As long as you've got a decent copy, this is just a terrific lens.
That's so good to know! As for making sure it's a decent copy, that's one thing that's scary for a newbie like me. In shopping for lenses every one of them had some who got bad ones. I'm crossing my fingers.....

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
You are sooooooo gonna love the Tammy... I use mine for 90% of my studio work now and it perfomed perfectly for the shots I posted recently in Not Work-Safe : Female Fine Art Nudes - NSFW (which I don't feel comfortable posting here w/o the NSFW disclaimer).

Mike
Yay! It's so wonderful to see the capabilities. I know I'll need to keep practicing and the lens won;t do it for me, but to know what it can do is so exciting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
welcome to the world of LBA. I don't know if you'll get over the addiction or decide to sell your gear in the future when or if you lose your interest in photography.

anyway, you might want to read this one >>> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/other-pentax-related-topics/77018-omg-i-spent-how-much.html

and choose which bracket you want to be?

for the record, you'll see a lot of them have symptoms much worse than what you have.
I will never lose interest! I've been an extremely avid P&S'er since high school, and I don't see it changing now that I have a good camera and lens for the first time!!

Thing is, I thought I was immune to all that LBA talk. I thought all I wanted was the DSLR and I'd be happy. I was so stupid. I do hope to stay in the lower bracket though!!
02-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #27
efg

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Tamron 28-75 2.8 - a classic.

Good d-normal to mid telephoto range on aps-c, and it's full-frame capable, so if Pentax ever goes there, so do you.

I tell ya these make me want to cry. They are just so gorgeous!
02-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #28
efg

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Lots of killer shots in this thread. The Tammy 28-75 has to be one of the sleeper bargains of the last decade.
I am seeing that!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by taurus9 Quote
One of the best photographic items I've ever spent, along with an external flash. Moving from variable aperture slow zooms to this lens was a complete revelation. Superbly suited for event/people photography.
Perfect for me then!
02-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #29
efg

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Great range, wide aperture, great price... what more can you ask? be sure to check for decentereing / BF/ FF though. Mine has slight BF at 75mm close focus, but for portrait purposes it's my to go lens sooo versatile

If I dont have FA 35 this lens would probably never leave the camera. Oops, maybe I shouldn't have said that?
I saw these and thought they were great. I really want something that can get the job done in challenging situations. So many of my photos are inside, home and schools and Y's and rinks, so it helps to see something like that.

And yeah, you shouldn't have said that!
02-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #30
efg

Original Poster
Thanks so much to everyone who responded! I am recovering a bit from my guilt and hatred for this place. It's so good to hear from people who know their stuff that I've made a good choice, and what a relief that is! I just fell in love with the pictures I saw from it so I'm glad you all tell me I fell for the right one.

And the pictures posted, they are treasures. This is what I hope to get, so thank you all so much. I hope to get something to come back and post in this thread.